Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2021, 06:50 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Don’t use “baby powder” on slide seals

Newgle (and other sources) are recommending baby powder as a slide seal lubricant. Those instructions should be updated to use talcum powder, which is becoming hard to find. Some talcum powders have been linked to cancer so most of the body dusting powders now available use corn starch. Real talcum powder is still available, but we need to check the ingredients.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2021, 07:24 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
Newgle (and other sources) are recommending baby powder as a slide seal lubricant. Those instructions should be updated to use talcum powder, which is becoming hard to find. Some talcum powders have been linked to cancer so most of the body dusting powders now available use corn starch. Real talcum powder is still available, but we need to check the ingredients.
If you are someone who prefers powder and cannot or will not use talcum powder, I would recommend using Kynar Powder. We used it in my industry for lubricating parts rubbing against rubbers and it works a treat!

You can get a dusting bag here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/38377481525...BoC0tAQAvD_BwE

For the nerdy types you can read this: https://www.extremematerials-arkema....r-pvdf-family/

You take this bag and smack it against what you want to lubricate. The powder comes out of the bags holes. Use as frequently as you wish.

Enjoy!
gjames50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:07 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Interesting. I don’t have a problem using talcum powder, especially on the outside seals, but I’ll check it out.
I just went out and bought some baby powder - fortunately I read the ingredients before using and I dont think wet corn starch would be a good lubricant.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:31 AM   #4

Been using talc power in an old sock since 2007 on my slideout seals
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:38 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I know powder is the recommended product, but what about 303 protectant?
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:17 PM   #6

Why would anyone use powder on slide seals ?
Just use any actual slide seal conditioner, available everywhere. Keeps rubber seals flexable, UV protection.
Also, clean & wax side of slide so seals have a clean , smooth surface to slide on.
scrapperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:25 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Talcum powder contains mineral oil which degrades rubber. I use corn starch powder as it doesn't have any mineral oil.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 12:33 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
That's what I use.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightstorm View Post
I can not find it anywhere.. looks like a new alternative is going to be needed any thoughts
Pete v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:29 AM   #10

I've done most all the things that have been suggested. When the coach was new and I put the slides out, all the seals were turned out just like you would expect.

Now that i have put 303 on the exposed parts of the seals, waxed the ends of the slides, and have used some powder, I now notice the seals no longer doing a good job of flipping out when the slides are put out. Everything is so slick that the seals can' get a good enough grip on the slides to flip out.

So now I need to go around with a pole and hook, to insert behind the seals to flip them all the way out, all around the coach. Didn't have to do that before all the good maintenance procedures.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:02 AM   #11

I think owners way over think this seal lubrication thing. My previous coach was a 2003 National and I never once lubricated the slide seals and they were still in great shape when I sold the coach last year. Sun is what can kill these seals more than anything, but modern day "rubbers" are very resilient and last a long time. Without empirical evidence that all this seal lubrication stuff makes any difference, I will just keep mine clean and leave them alone. I do like to put 303 on the tires because it makes them look pretty but I really doubt it makes them last longer-again keep them clean, out of the sun, and use them a lot is the best way to make them last. Exercising the slide seals is probably more important than any coating you put on them. Rubbers get brittle when they encounter UV radiation and/or lack of use.
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:09 AM   #12

'SEALS'----that is done with material on inside/outside of the slideout trim

'WIPERS'...those are the material that flips back/forth when slideout is moving
*They are not seals but 'squeegees' that wipe debris/moisture off top/side walls AND do not need to flip back/forth in order to Wipe

Talcum is harder to find....been dusting my seals & wipers since 2007 with talc inside a sock
*by the time that sock is empty I should be done with RVng
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:16 AM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I buy the cheapest stuff I can find, use an old sock and only apply it when I think there is an issue. These are not Space Shuttles. The purpose of the powder is to help if you have an issue with the slide seals sticking because you don't use your coach very often.

When I happen to be cleaning the coach, with the slides out, I MAY wipe the side seals with 303 or even Pledge if that's what I have handy. Mainly jsut to wipe off any dust or dirt. On a rare occasion, if I feel or hear the slide seals sticking, especially at the top, I hit them with AVAILBLE talc or baby powder with a sock on a stick.

Sometimes things that are soooo simple are made soooo complicated. I've been doing the above for over 20 years and NEVER an issue with a seal.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:11 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post

303 Aerospace Protectorate is the recommended seal lubricant for all rubber seals, gaskets, tires on your coach. 303 was developed for the aircraft industry and has the longest track record of superior performance
Clemson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seal, seals, slide