Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2017, 07:14 AM   #1

Door latch noise

Hi everyone,

Would someone have a fix for the door latch chatter. It seems to be the latch post starts to chatter after a while down the road after hitting some rough road or bridge approaches. The post is like a floating moveable post. If I pull over and shut the door again it quits for a while and then starts again.

Appreciate any input.
17 F150 Platinum 4x4
Jgmabry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2017, 07:34 AM   #2

Sounds as if you haven't got the door completely shut. The door has 2 positions. The first time it latches with small gap that can cause your problem. To get to the 2nd position you may have to slam the door hard to get it to latch. There are a lot of threads on this issue. Mine has bedded in so I don't have to slam it anymore but yours may need adjusting.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:56 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Do you lock your deadbolt and still have the noise?
We lock our deadbolt to limit door movement when traveling but developed a rattle there too. I snugged the torx screws that secure the black plastic panel at the latch handle on the interior of the door. That seems to have quieted the noise for now.
Happy travels!
dc3carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 10:48 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I thought the same thing, it sounded like the rattle was coming from the latch post, but in fact, it was coming from the arms on top of the door, banging against the frame, and transmitting the sound down.

If you can, have someone else drive, and when the sound starts happening, reach up and put pressure on those arms (you can touch them from the inside with the doors closed). When you put pressure on them, the sound should go away.

I padded the arms and door frame to reduce the metal on metal and haven't had the sound since.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:08 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Watching this thread. I have the same issue.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:04 PM   #6

Algoma, I do make sure to get both latches engaged and like you say I do have to slam the door. I did read the post on adjusting the latch so you don't have to slam the door but wanted to find the source of the annoying chatter first.

Since I do have to slam the door to engage the 2nd latch it it seems tight while trying to move the door at the campsite to make the noise. Now makes me think that rmcobb is possibly on the right track with the door opener on the top of the door possibly banging on the top of the door. I have installed several layers of black tape on top of the door where it looks as if the opener post could come in contact with the door top. Will find out Saturday when I leave Pa heading to Va.

Dc3, I don't travel with the deadbolt latched, I checked all 3 torx screws on handle assembly and they were all tight.

Thanks all for your replies and will let you know what happens Saturday PM. Please let me know if you have more ideas to try.
17 F150 Platinum 4x4
Old 06-29-2017, 01:15 PM   #7

You can tell if the door is shut all the way by engaging the deadbolt lock- if it won't engage , then the door is not in to the second latch position. f you can engage the deadbolt completely then the door is in the fully shut or second latch position. My door is quiet as a church house mouse in the fully closed position.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:02 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I found a solution to the problem for mine.....it's a pretty easy fix. Mine was constantly rattling and would quiet up when I forced black electrical tape under the door bolt as a test.

Your bolt on the door frame has a large washer, about 1.5" attached to it. Remove the bolt and washer (if I recall, I think you can use a crescent wrench to remove it). Once removed, i took the lid to a plastic storage bin and cut a plastic washer, the same size as the washer on the door bolt. I installed the plastic washer under the metal washer and reinstalled the bolt.

Keep in mind, the bolt still needs to move. The washer was just thick enough to allow movement, but not rattling. It has worked fine for three years.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:39 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I noticed on my door frame, not the door, the silver latch pin moves freely and makes the exact noise I hear. I am guessing the solution above is for that same silver pin.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:56 PM   #10

Thanks Don, I will remove the bolt in the am and see if I can do the same. Will let everyone know how it goes.
17 F150 Platinum 4x4
Old 06-29-2017, 08:03 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
The Solution

I've tried all the adjustments & lubricants and the noise always comes back. Here's the solution that works for a while.

Take some black electrical tape and wrap it around the latch post 2 to 3 times. Your door will now be quite. This will last for 4,000 to 5,000 miles. Then the noise starts up again. Remove the old tape and re-apply new tape again....

I always keep black electrical tape in my tool kit.

Good luck.

Jerry
Old 06-29-2017, 08:54 PM   #12
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
I went through this same exercise when we first got the 2014 Ventana LE. And, I was absolutely certain it was in the door latch. Tried DS Don's plastic washer trick,but to no avail. Finally had my wife drive the coach while I tried to figure it out.

The issue was just as rmcobb described; the folding door stop arm at the top of the door. I used some Velcro (loop side) as padding both under and over the hinged end of the arm. That completely solved the problem.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 09:22 PM   #13
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There are all types of noises that need to be hunted down. On the one where I installed the plastic plate, the noise sounded like there was a door knocker inside the door at the latch. It sounded like someone was using the knocker.

In search of other noises, I found the automatic entry door awning, was not folding all the way back into the box. When it closes, it's suppose to suck in tight against the box. It wasn't. Whenever I would shut the front door, it would rattle. I finally got it adjusted and eliminated that noise.

Lastly, I've been looking for a better front shock. The Sachs OEM shock was junk and I replaced it with a Koni Adjustable, (only Koni type that would fit IFS) and it wasn't much better. I finally replaced the front shocks with the new Koni EVO's which work much better than the first two and also eliminated more front end noises.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #14

If it is coming from the top of the door, here is another solution. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/fixe...em-326423.html
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, noise