Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2015, 07:13 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Door Lock

The entrance door lock on our 2006 Kountry Star DP suddenly quit working when I was on the inside and my wife was on the outside. Suddenly we couldn't open the door from the inside or outside. It's a good thing she was outside so I could pitch her keys to open the toolbox compartment. I took the allen wrench and took apart the lock mechanism so I could open the door. I can't see anything wrong internally with the mechanism, but I can't get it to work. I've taken it apart 3 or 4 times and tried everything I know of, but still can't get it to work. I have removed the latch on the door jam and we are using the dead bolt for everything. Any advice will be appreciated.
ricere is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2015, 10:44 AM   #2

That happened to us while in Denali two years ago, although we were both on the outside...no jackets, no cell phone, no purse. We borrowed a phone to call for a locksmith through our Emerg Road serv. Response time was estimated 3.5 hrs from Fairbanks. We canceled them and just drilled out the latch lock.
We've been using just the deadbolt since (about 26k miles) with no further problems.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:34 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
dead bolt

We're using the dead bolt now, but would like to have the regular door lock back. I would sure like to know what happened to it and why everything inside the lock looks OK, but I can't get it to work. Will be calling Newmar tomorrow and see if I must order another one, or can fix the one I have. Thanks for the reply.
ricere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:03 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mine wouldn't open when pulling the handle while unlocked. Sprayed the door mechanism where it grabs the post with silicon, solved the problem.
mikelm48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:11 PM   #5

Just to clarify. We drilled the lock cylinder and were able to manipulate the lock mechanism that had jammed to unlock the door. Our latch mechanism continues to work, but we lock it with the deadbolt.

We did purchase the entire Tricor lock assembly to replace the damaged one, just haven't felt the need to do it yet.

Good luck getting yours working right.
Beyond is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door