Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2019, 01:11 PM   #1

Drag Link for newer F53

I have been doing some research regarding alignments and steering wheel positioning on the newer F53 chassis. It seems like the newer versions are set up so that the steering wheel cannot be straightened as before. Redlands Truck and RV in Redlands, CA has a replacement drag link that can be adjusted for this purpose. I am having one installed on our Bay Star along with having the alignment done. I will let you know how it drives after I pick it up.
Earl II is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2019, 02:02 PM   #2

The Ford official fix is to re-index the steering shaft at the steering box.

Remove 1 bolt, slip it off, turn it a tooth or 3 and slip it back on.

Much cheaper then an adjustable drag link.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The Ford official fix is to re-index the steering shaft at the steering box.

Remove 1 bolt, slip it off, turn it a tooth or 3 and slip it back on.

Much cheaper then an adjustable drag link.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Newer F-53 Steering Wheel Alignment Apparently not anymore.
Old 04-23-2019, 05:25 AM   #4

+ 1 reindexing, my 2017 24K chassis SW was centered with this method.

What year is your coach?
Old 04-23-2019, 08:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter M View Post
+ 1 reindexing, my 2017 24K chassis SW was centered with this method.

What year is your coach?
2019 22k chassis. So it looks like there are different opinions on the issue.
Old 04-23-2019, 09:18 AM   #6

What I suggested was from Ford. Its listed as a " clear view " adjustment. Its to center the steering wheel so you can see the dash clearly.

Call Ford and see if its for you chassis.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:07 PM   #7

Adjustable Drag Link F-53

For further information on this part, there is an article in the most recent Motorhome Magazine about it. Explains how it works.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:03 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hey Earl II, did you have the drag link work done up at Redlands? I just got a quote from them for the rear anti-sway and track bar and they recommended this as well.
JL
jl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:00 PM   #9

My Ford truck center wouldn’t do the reindexing at the steering box because, he said, it is not the Ford approved procedure. I asked what the procedure is and they said it is to shim the steering box. So I did the index thing myself. It was easy and effective. Took all of 10 minutes.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:55 AM   #10

Drag Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl2000 View Post
Hey Earl II, did you have the drag link work done up at Redlands? I just got a quote from them for the rear anti-sway and track bar and they recommended this as well.
JL
Yes, I did have them install the drag link. The plan is to keep this rig so I didn't want to deal with steering wheel adjustment issues again. Now, we are done with suspension modifications. Handles much better, control wise, in windy conditions which you know we have quite often.

My last installation that Redlands Truck did was the Roadmaster front sway bar as well as the additional rear sway bar. It doesn't get rid of the effects of our lousy Inland Empire freeway conditions but it cruises quite nicely now. I have probably spent half of what the complete LiquidSprings cost would be but I wasn't too keen on another computer controlled system. Just something to consider for others but we have it done now.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl II View Post
My last installation that Redlands Truck did was the Roadmaster front sway bar as well as the additional rear sway bar. It doesn't get rid of the effects of our lousy Inland Empire freeway conditions but it cruises quite nicely now. I have probably spent half of what the complete LiquidSprings cost would be but I wasn't too keen on another computer controlled system. Just something to consider for others but we have it done now.

Earl--did you do the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix--video on YT) to the stock Sway Bars before you had Rredlands change the sway bars? Just wondering if there was much improvement from the CHF to the Roadmaster SB.

I doubt anything will tame (except full replacement) of some freeways in SoCal--But Koni FSD shocks will make a real difference.

Redlands and Brazels (in central WA) are both quality RV shops. They used to (maybe still do) share a space at Quartzite RV "Show" together.
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:59 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondi View Post
Earl--did you do the CHF (Cheap Handling Fix--video on YT) to the stock Sway Bars before you had Rredlands change the sway bars? Just wondering if there was much improvement from the CHF to the Roadmaster SB.

I doubt anything will tame (except full replacement) of some freeways in SoCal--But Koni FSD shocks will make a real difference.

Redlands and Brazels (in central WA) are both quality RV shops. They used to (maybe still do) share a space at Quartzite RV "Show" together.
No, we did not do the CHF and admittedly it was never suggested by Redlands Truck and RV. So to recap, we had them do everything short of installing the LiquidSprings which cost around $14k. Sumo springs all around (done at time of purchase at Holland RV in Palm Desert), all the rest done by Redlands Truck. Alignment including leveling the coach since it was low on one side, Saf-T-Plus, adjustable drag link, rear trac bar, Koni FSB shocks, Roadmaster front and rear sway bars. Weighed all four corners and suggested PSI of tires is 90 lbs. This is as good as it will get.

Tags
f53