Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2011, 12:14 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Draining fresh water tank

Going to be putting the Ventana into storage for several months and want to drain all the fresh water out of the tank. Can't find directions anywhere on how to do that. Help!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2011, 12:30 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to Saber77
There are several marked drains in the utility compartment. You can also just turn on the water pump and then pump the water from the fresh water tank to the grey water tank using any faucet. You can also pump out all the fresh water by simply using the outside shower faucet.
Saber77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
The only marked drains I see are the grey/black water sewer drains and the two low point drains.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillie View Post
...two low point drains.
The low point drains are the ones you want to use. Open a faucet inside and then open the low point drains. Make sure your hot water heater is turned off. If you have a standard hot water heater, you can also drain the hot water tank by removing the clean out plug/anode on the side of the water heater.

There is quite a bit of info, and photos on winterizing here, so search on "winterizing" if you need more info, or review the "Quick Tips". The winterizing process should give you more on draining water lines.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/part...ods-18509.html
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
In each compartment where you can see fresh water tanks there should be a drain for each tank if you have split tanks above your chassis rails.
You can also look under chassis and see where the drains come out below the chassis floor to get approximate location.
Drain your hot water tank by removing the anode rod and lift pressure relief lever.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 04:15 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi jillie,
There is one more drain and that is to drain the fresh water tank. It will be at the bottom of the utility bay way, way, way in the back (looking in at the bay). Mine is located below the low point drains. The plastic floor may have a slight reduction of height where one must reach past to get to the fresh water tank drain. It will be a 1/4 turn to open and close. It will take some time to drain. If you have never used it, a flash light may help find it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:53 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We moved it over to storage this afternoon so I'll take a flashlight and a ground cloth over and see if I can locate the drain. If I can't find it, I'll run the outside shower until empty. Thanks for your help.

We don't have a hot water tank; it's one of those newfangled heaters with the antifreeze. Should get interesting if we ever have to winterize.

The other thing I haven't found yet is the third battery shutoff switch. I found the rocker switch in the overhead cabinet by the door for the coach batteries. I found a big red knob on the left side in the engine compartment. But for the life of me I can't remember where they showed us the third one is. I looked in all the storage bays and don't see it.

Reminds me of when the technician was trying to find the inverter. Took him a while but finally found it bolted above the supports in the middle of the coach in a storage bay. Had to remove all the stuff from the bay, slide into the bay on his back, and reach up blindly to push the reset button. Tried it myself and it was a trip. Hope I never have to reset it.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:56 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi jillie,
What third shut off switch. You already found the only two that I know of that exist. One for the chassis (red) and one for the coach (rocker switch). I think you have it. Congrats.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Gary, I'm pretty sure that the customer service rep showed us two switches on the outside of the coach. That and the fact that the stairs still go in and out with two switches turned off, leads me to believe there's one more somewhere. Darn if I can remember where though. It ain't easy gettin' old.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #10

There are a few items that are not shut off with both switches. If I remember correctly they are the outside steps, the LP detector, the dash radio memory, the CB radio, and one other thing I can't remember. Yours may be wired different, but those items are always hot in the Dutch Stars I've owner. They are fused separtely in the electric bay.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The LP detector should have a cut off switch in your display area.
Steps also have a switch to keep open when camping or parked that you would leave open to be controls from magnetic switch on door way or the ignition switch.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm4015 View Post
There are a few items that are not shut off with both switches. If I remember correctly they are the outside steps, the LP detector, the dash radio memory, the CB radio, and one other thing I can't remember. Yours may be wired different, but those items are always hot in the Dutch Stars I've owner. They are fused separtely in the electric bay.
If those items are still on, does that affect the charge in the batteries? Our MH will be in storage until the beginning of August. Will we have to start it once in a while to recharge the batteries?
Old 05-09-2011, 02:15 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Hi jillie,
I'm looking for you to teach me something. I know of no Newmar standard line coach that has more than the two switches you already found. There are also the component switches mentioned in these posts.

Did you find the fresh water tank drain valve?
Old 05-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillie View Post
...Will we have to start it once in a while to recharge the batteries?
If it's a diesel most recommend not starting the engine unless your going to drive it 20 miles or so. Since that is the recommendation, I use the generator to charge the batteries when in storage and not connected to shore power. That also takes care of the recommended procedure of running the generator monthly (with a heavy load applied).

I have found that my batteries hold a charge above the 50% point with the power in the "storage mode" for quite a long period of time. Although I felt better keeping them charged to 100% through out the winter cold weather.

I wouldn't expect your batteries to need charging for a three month storage period. However, if you are in the area it wouldn't hurt to check after 30-40 days.

Let see what other have to say on the subject.

BTW... I only know of the two main cut off switches, also. There are other storage swithches for the LP detector and the electric water heater, but those should shut down with the "storage" switch in the overhead cabinet switched off.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote