RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2018, 01:49 PM   #1

Post Driver Side-Marker Wires Snapped Off

This is our first post since becoming members and the information that someone can gather and learn from this forum is Absolutely Amazing! Thank You.

At a recent rest stop and after performing our usual visual inspection around the coach, we notice the driver front side-marker wires hanging in the front tire well.

Close inspection tells us that the wires basically snap off on their own during normal driving because of no proper support of the wire harness leading to the side-markers.

The 1st 2 photos basically show how the wire harness was hanging freely and connected to the back of the side-makers.

We wrapped the wire harness and wires and tucked them away as you will see in the last 2 photos and since these markers are only illuminated when you have the emergency flasher on, they won't necessarily pose a normal driving issue.

We already contacted Newmar and a replacement side-marker is in the mail. Once we replace the side-maker, we will ensure that the wire harness and wires leading to the side-marker are properly secured so this won't happen again.

Has anyone had similar issues with their front side-markers and if so, how did you secure the harness in order to avoid the wires from snapping off from the back of the side-markers?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0908.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	282.6 KB
ID:	208801

Name:	IMG_0909.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	245.4 KB
ID:	208802

Name:	IMG_1037.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	208803

Name:	IMG_1040.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	208804

Thank You

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2018, 02:20 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Driver Side-Marker Wires Snapped Off

Yours is the second one that I have seen in a month, and on my own the wires are dangling, my theory is the weight of wires swinging back and forth are eventually causing the wires to break, the same as bending a thin piece of steel repeatedly.

2018 Dutch Star 4369 Spartan!
2017 Jeep Wrangler Smoky Mountain
2016 Canyon Star 3710 SOLD
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:22 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I’m going to clean the surface with alcohol and use 3m wire tie anchors.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:14 PM   #4

I haven’t noticed, but after reading this thread, I will check it out. Thanks RVBoomer for bringing this item to light. Thanks to Stuart W for a possible solution.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:10 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Same story again. Unsupported wires dangling everywhere. I see them up front and in the back. Sensor box behind the peg board also found hanging loose on the wires......
That’s how I found them. Rigorous quality control by Newmar
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 04:36 PM   #6

Wow ‘Buly’, that is eye opening and surprising. You are welcome ‘HavingABlast’ and Thank You ‘Stuart W’ for the great idea for minimizing hanging wires especially the side-marker wires / harness. I found and ordered these from Amazon based on your suggestion and there is enough to also use elsewhere as appropriate and as necessary. These should work perfectly.

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 6.21.35 PM.png
Views:	38
Size:	354.7 KB
ID:	208837

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-06-28 at 6.25.55 PM.png
Views:	36
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	208838

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5AJ7I755&psc=1

Old 06-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Yep just make sure to really clean and scrape the area flat before sticking, if the wires are heavy, use a couple inches apart.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVBoomer View Post
Wow ‘Buly’, that is eye opening and surprising. You are welcome ‘HavingABlast’ and Thank You ‘Stuart W’ for the great idea for minimizing hanging wires especially the side-marker wires / harness. I found and ordered these from Amazon based on your suggestion and there is enough to also use elsewhere as appropriate and as necessary. These should work perfectly.

Attachment 208837
Attachment 208838

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...5AJ7I755&psc=1

The adhesive on those bases is not the best. If possible, you will notice a hole in the Center of the base, use a small screw to secure it and it's there forever.
The adhesive along will fail, for sure...
Old 06-28-2018, 05:54 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum RVBoomer and your first eye opening first post.
Thanks for that, you have some more work that needs corrections and many other members checking their own coach's.
I have to agree wiring on these new coach's need some work my older coach had a fiber foam sprayed on the wheel well surface or around any areas where the wiring would be exposed to weather or wind to blow it around even under coach, Newmar is not doing that anymore it seems very simple fix with the foam, gray in color.
Here is a link that might help with other items on your coach and all the links below in my signature will have answers for your Newmar also.
Enjoy the forum and safe travels.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote