Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-10-2013, 01:22 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Driver's Side Mirror Change?

I'm looking at trying to modify my driver's side mirror so that I can use it through the windshield instead of having it viewed through the driver's side window. The first picture is my short armed driver side and the second is the long arm passenger side mirror. I'm wondering if I can replace the short arm with a long arm.

While on the subject, I would like to change the angle on the driver's side mirror so that it can allow the convex mirror to see my front wheel lug covers. That means pushing the bottom of the mirror just a tad forward. Does anyone know how/if that can be done?

THANKS!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0371.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	47587   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0372.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	47588  

Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #2

Following, would love to do the same thing
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Arms come in various lengths. Call either Velvac or Ramco, they will be able to help you find the right length to do your job. Your wire harness may need to be extended to allow for the longer arm.

Regarding the convex mirror, those are fully adjustable either manually or remotely depending on your model mirror that you currently own.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I did find that the 13" (vs 3") extension is...drum roll...$817. WOW! The parts folks at Newmar are tying to find some diagrams for me. Of course, that would mean I would need to cut, add some wire and then splice for the mirror movement and heating features.

I guess the next step is to find a pole of some kind, cut it down to a length to replicate the passenger side and see if the geometry is there. I suppose it is possible that by the time I swing the driver side arm towards the right and past the windshield edge that I won't be able to see down the left side of the MH.

I haven't gotten up on top of the roof and I don't have a tall enough ladder but after stepping back a bit I think I see some kind of big set screw on the top of the arm part that holds the mirror. I think that will allow me to make the adjustment to the mirror angle.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:19 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Arms come in various lengths. Call either Velvac or Ramco, they will be able to help you find the right length to do your job. Your wire harness may need to be extended to allow for the longer arm.

Regarding the convex mirror, those are fully adjustable either manually or remotely depending on your model mirror that you currently own.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Thanks Richard....

After I spoke with Newmar they said it was a Ramco part so I will go check out what I can from them.

The convex mirror is adjusted as far down as it can be. I can see the back of the driver side tire but I want to see the lug covers like I can on the passenger side. That means I have to move the mirror on the ball joint just a tad and I think I found that answer.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #6

Don, were you ever able to move the mirror?

Steve
Old 10-17-2013, 05:59 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn View Post
Don, were you ever able to move the mirror?

Steve
Just got my new ladder today. LOL I will play with that this weekend.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #8

Outstanding, can't wait to hear the results. The reflections I am getting in my driver's mirror are horrible.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:37 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Outstanding, can't wait to hear the results. The reflections I am getting in my driver's mirror are horrible.
I need to find a way to have Sandee holding a broom stick to approximate what angle I need with an extension to get the driver mirror viewed through the windshield. That could be interesting.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post

I need to find a way to have Sandee holding a broom stick to approximate what angle I need with an extension to get the driver mirror viewed through the windshield. That could be interesting.
Ply her with a good cabernet? Or diamonds?
Old 10-18-2013, 07:37 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Sky Boss: I thought of doing the same thing with the driver's side mirror. I have talked with several people who have done this and using the arm from the passenger's side they say the windshield post blocks half of the mirror. They also said they thought half was better than nothing in the reflection you get with the short arm. I installed one of the small round convex mirrors on my lower mirror and it shows the driver's side front tire without changing the angle of the top mirror. If you change your angle make sure you retighten that top bolt very tight or the whole mirror will change on bumps. I know from personal experience!

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4027
Harm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well...finally got a chance to take an educated swag on the mirror...I agree with HARM...it would block about 1/2 of the mirror and I am not quite prepared to go that route...yet. If the longer arm was less than $200, I might be more inclined to do so but at $800+ I'm not so eager.

We also did adjust the mirror angle and I think that will work just fine...made it REAL tight too.

Spinn...Sandee will do about anything for a spa gift certificate. LOL
Old 11-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
Well...finally got a chance to take an educated swag on the mirror...I agree with HARM...it would block about 1/2 of the mirror and I am not quite prepared to go that route...yet. If the longer arm was less than $200, I might be more inclined to do so but at $800+ I'm not so eager.

We also did adjust the mirror angle and I think that will work just fine...made it REAL tight too.

Spinn...Sandee will do about anything for a spa gift certificate. LOL
Lol I need to remember that for my wife! Did you setting the mirror forward at all? Or just adjust the mirror itself to minimize the reflection?

Steve
Old 11-04-2013, 04:02 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Lol I need to remember that for my wife! Did you setting the mirror forward at all? Or just adjust the mirror itself to minimize the reflection?

Steve
Just tilted the bottom of the mirror forward a tad so the convex mirror could see the front wheel's lug nuts.

Tags
driver