Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2008, 02:16 PM   #1

Today Don had a very frustrating day. His task was to install and connect some new, externally mounted radio speakers for the dash radio. This is to replace the really crappy original speakers that we covered with the new TV. Those original speakers are now working for the CB radio and as bad as they were for the radio, they are pretty good for the CB.

As part of this process he removed the valance above the driver seat. This included removing the privacy shade and the sun shade so he could install the speaker on the outside of the valance. All that went well.

When re-assembling everything works except for the sun shade. You can pull it down, but it is somehow in a bind and won't roll back up. Normally it self winds when you push it back up, but that winding part isn't happening now. We have looked at it every way one can, but cannot find how or where it is binding. He's given everything up there a good cussin', but sadly that didn't help either.

Anyone ever re-installed one of those and have any constructive commentary? We would sure be appreciative as the speaker install on the passenger side is waiting until we figure this one out. Thanks up front.
DonnaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2008, 02:16 PM   #2

Today Don had a very frustrating day. His task was to install and connect some new, externally mounted radio speakers for the dash radio. This is to replace the really crappy original speakers that we covered with the new TV. Those original speakers are now working for the CB radio and as bad as they were for the radio, they are pretty good for the CB.

As part of this process he removed the valance above the driver seat. This included removing the privacy shade and the sun shade so he could install the speaker on the outside of the valance. All that went well.

When re-assembling everything works except for the sun shade. You can pull it down, but it is somehow in a bind and won't roll back up. Normally it self winds when you push it back up, but that winding part isn't happening now. We have looked at it every way one can, but cannot find how or where it is binding. He's given everything up there a good cussin', but sadly that didn't help either.

Anyone ever re-installed one of those and have any constructive commentary? We would sure be appreciative as the speaker install on the passenger side is waiting until we figure this one out. Thanks up front.
Old 12-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You can pull it down, but it is somehow in a bind and won't roll back up. Normally it self winds when you push it back up, but that winding part isn't happening now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope you get an answer as my shade is getting finicky and is starting balk at rolling all the way up.

Speaker details too, please.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 03:11 PM   #4

If its the same sun shade(s) we have, we replaced three in the first year(not repairable to our knowledge). Since then we have eliminated all of them(except the electric ones) and replaced them with good ol pull down shades(Walmart/Sears type). The good ol pull down shades work both as sun shades and privacy shades eliminated the funky curtains.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:17 PM   #5

dup
Old 12-02-2008, 04:02 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I believe we are talking about the black sun shade, or at least I am.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:43 PM   #7

Yup, the black see thru one. The one that has a metal accordian support thing that keeps it extended straight when out.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:09 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Donna not much info on Carefree SITE on installing your shade.
When I installed mine the screws holding it had to be tight but not overly tighten.
I have transfered them between coachs.

My spk was mounted on the valance and I didn't remove valance was able to fish wiring behind valance board.
One other thing make sure screws for speaker mount are not into your shade.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:40 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
I believe we are talking about the black sun shade, or at least I am. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep, the black ones(throw away) are the ones we replaced with the good ol beige pulldown as shown.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:36 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yep, the black ones(throw away) are the ones we replaced with the good ol beige pulldown as shown. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I'm with you now, but ya can't drive with those down.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:49 AM   #11

I'm with Dirk on this one...mine too has started getting finicky and balking at rolling up... it started when I was parked for a month and left the shade down all the time as a sunscreen...when I went to put it up, it didn't want to go...has been tempermental ever since...hope somebody has the answer.

Jack
Old 12-03-2008, 03:55 AM   #12

Some of these shades work off a coiled spring. This spring tightens up when you roll it down, providing the energy to wind it up. When you take it apart you release the tension and when you pull it down it does not retain enough energy to roll it up. In some you have to pull it down and then manually roll it up, but do not release the tension when you install it. Sometimes you may have to pull it down and roll up a couple of times without releasing the tension.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:29 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Route 66:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Yep, the black ones(throw away) are the ones we replaced with the good ol beige pulldown as shown. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I'm with you now, but ya can't drive with those down. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Absolutely can, just pull it down until sun is blocked, plenty of room to see out, unless you are driving at daybreak. In fact the front electric black ones only come down 2/3 of the way-we added a full biege front one for privacy use and it blocks the open areas around the two front ones when driving-and NO more curtains!

In fact, many have solid black any ways, which can not be seen thru either.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:57 AM   #14

OK, here's the answer for my earlier question. The problem was caused by a protruding screw head. Not a new one, one that was there all along, but guessing that the shade had not been cinched up as far as it could have been. (Gee, how many of these have I heard about falling off the mount?)

The problem is in the construction. The valance has a couple of cleats both on the wall and on the valance to facilitate attaching it to the wall and attaching things to it. There is a 1/4 inch board that makes the ceiling attachment point for the shades. There was a round headed screw as part of the attachment of that thin board to a cleat on the valance. There is not enough board to counter sink and it stuck out enough to cause a very slight bow in the frame of the shade which in turn made it not work very well.

So the fix was just to seat it more firmly into the wood so it didn't stick out so far. A couple of shims or washers in other spots would have done the trick too.

Dirk, I'll send you photos off line.