Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2021, 02:43 PM   #1

Driving Technique

We have only managed to put 2500 miles on our new 2019 Ventana LE 37 in 18 months. During that time I have managed to develop turning techniques from experience and reading. What I need is an evaluation by the members on what I am doing and how to improve.

First, the dreaded 90 degree right turn. My observation is I need to use both lanes of the street I am turning into to avoid contact with items close to the curb on the right, such as utility poles, stop signs, etc. On a two lane road that is the entire width, both directions???? I do try to make left turns when possible.

I only back in anything close with my spotter. Stay straight is the challenge. Any tips on this?

I am now setup for a flat tow and will do my first run in Spring. In my case the tow is a GMC Sierra, 2018, Elevation, crew cab. Will the tow stay within the footprint of the coach on turns???

And one observation I have is I am always going faster than I think, especially going into a tight intersection turn without stopping, leading to hard braking in the turn. I attribute this to sitting higher from the road that a regular car/pickup. Others experience this illusion??

Thanks
PeteDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2021, 04:10 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Getting better, comes with practice and developing an eye for how much room you need, especially to make turns. Right hand turns can be done in a few different ways and depends on the road you're on and the one you're turning onto. Again, comes with experience.

The truck will pretty much track behind the coach, but you'll need to watch the toad while making right turns, in the passenger mirror.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 04:25 PM   #3

If it too tight to turn right, three lefts equal one right!
Old 01-26-2021, 04:42 PM   #4

There is a You Tube video where the author places a couple small pieces of tape on the mirror and windshield to assist. Pretty interesting.
Nellybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:17 PM   #5

Don't avoid right turns or backing in.... that's the only way you'll perfect it!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 05:32 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Driving Technique

The “proper” way on a right turn is to stay in the right lane but as far left as possible but stay in your lane. Then proceed out into the intersection and turn taking the oncoming or turn lane of the oncoming traffic if needed to not hit the curb. This May mean you have to wait in the middle of the road for it to clear. Not all drivers do this but it’s the proper “button hook” turn. Taking the left lane to make a right turn can cause drivers to dive down your right side and be Hit by you turning. ( at least that’s the concern )
A good rv course or practice in a empty lot with some cones is a good idea. Otherwise it’s “on the job training” just take it slowly as you go.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:45 PM   #7

On the 90 degree right turn (and left, for that matter) rear tires will track completely inside of front tires, so yes, It's best to go out farther than you think you need to, and watch the mirror to see how close the rear tires come to the curb. I usually go at least 1.5 lanes in the front. Easy does it

Backing with a spotter is always good. I usually don't have the luxury, so I back slow and use the rear camera. I have the screen marked so that I know what the width of the coach is compared to the width of the view. I struggle a bit with keeping straight. Have to be ahead of things or front has to make wide swings to correct.

Can't help with flat towing - haven't done that yet

You'll get better at judging your speed, but use your electronics to monitor your speed until you gain that experience. I have a ScanGauge D on top of the dash which displays MPH among other things. Makes it easier to see my speed vice looking down through the steering wheel at the dash. Also have a dash top gps that shows speed. Best to stay far back from anything ahead - not only don't tail gate, but stay far back from cars ahead in your lane. Same with intersections - slow much farther in advance of what you think you'll need. Our coaches are so large that most car drivers won't usually act aggressively toward us. In any case, the laws of gross tonnage apply, so take all the time you need in order to be safe. My opinion, anyway.
tomgrigsby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:00 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
One way or another on a RH 90 degree turn your going to use two lanes.
Either straddle both lanes before you turn, or turn slightly in to oncoming traffic once you commit to making the turn. Either way, go slowly and signal your intentions clearly. There are many great videos on YouTube describing these turns. Don't be ashamed to use both lanes when necessary. As my daddy once explained to me, "you paid for both lanes, may as well use em."
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:27 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Get some cones and practice in a parking lot.

Also, if you are able to hire a driving instructor for half a day, it will be money well spent. (One bad turn can cost a LOT more)
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:48 PM   #10

The toad track depends on how much overhang you have behind the rear axle.

With significant overhang, as your MH turns, the rear actually swings away from the turn. That pulls the toad along into a wider turn.

You can download a truck driving training manual that teaches you the proper way.

Plenty of fact based information.Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture%2B_2021-01-26-20-46-19.jpeg
Views:	53
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	315877
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 07:05 PM   #11

When turning right I overshoot intentionally up to front wheels almost touching opposite curb.

I'll be taking at least half the oncoming lane for a bit so mind as well go all the way. Would much rather go too far into the intersection than drag the rear over the curb or worse have to backup in an intersection.
Old 01-26-2021, 07:26 PM   #12

Watch a semi making a right turn.
Done correctly it is a precision turn.
Then practice on an easy turn on a slow day with little or no traffic. Take your time and if you need to wait for oncoming traffic and block the intersection for a minute, so be it.

Watch your mirrors at all times. The five second rule applies here.
Just remember those professional drivers had to learn how to handle their rigs as well.

Good luck and go slow.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 12:05 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDr View Post
We have only managed to put 2500 miles on our new 2019 Ventana LE 37 in 18 months. During that time I have managed to develop turning techniques from experience and reading. What I need is an evaluation by the members on what I am doing and how to improve.

First, the dreaded 90 degree right turn. My observation is I need to use both lanes of the street I am turning into to avoid contact with items close to the curb on the right, such as utility poles, stop signs, etc. On a two lane road that is the entire width, both directions???? I do try to make left turns when possible.

I only back in anything close with my spotter. Stay straight is the challenge. Any tips on this?

I am now setup for a flat tow and will do my first run in Spring. In my case the tow is a GMC Sierra, 2018, Elevation, crew cab. Will the tow stay within the footprint of the coach on turns???

And one observation I have is I am always going faster than I think, especially going into a tight intersection turn without stopping, leading to hard braking in the turn. I attribute this to sitting higher from the road that a regular car/pickup. Others experience this illusion??

Thanks
Pete.....
1) Yes, you’ll always take a piece of some other guy’s lane making that right turn. Ref advice above. Go to a residential area to practice.
2) Backing straight: be sure to use the flat mirror, not the convex portion. The convex will give you a distorted view. Adjust it if necessary, even when moving. That’s why they made it adjustable. Use the sidewall of the coach in the mirror as a straightedge guy reference line. Line it up with some mark in the rear, like a tree or power pole. Use the steering wheel to keep the sidewall aligned with that point.
3) Unless you have an unusually large toad, your toad track will remain outside of your coach rear wheel track. IOW, if the coach makes the turn without hitting the curb, the toad will do the same.
4) And YES, you ARE going faster than you think. All due to the seat height. Common phenomenon. When maneuvering, no faster than a walk. If you think you’re OK, slow down. [An RV’s not so bad... when taxiing a 747 your height of eye is 35 ft. Must use the nav system to monitor GS.]

JFXG
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 06:46 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here's a video from Lazydays that is very good for someone new to driving a MH

Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote