Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2016, 03:20 PM   #1

Unhappy Dropped Engine Power

...hopefully it's a minor problem but I seemed to have lost engine power and dropped speed while heading east on I-40 to Texas from New Mexico on a continuous upgrade hill. It was a gradual loss of power and speed.

I pulled over and checked the toad just in case the brakes came on, nada. I then checked the MH's brakes... all cool. Nothing is dragging.

Engine light did not come on at all.

I remembered reading something awhile back on the forum that someone had the same problem and turned off the engine. I did that and the engine started normally but now I had "full" power again. This time I continued uphill with no issues. Before that my speed dropped to 40MPH even with manually downshifting.

I had the engine serviced five months ago. I'm still on the road and need to get to FL.

OK... any ideas?
Road_King is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 03:48 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Typically, the very first thing that comes to mind are the fuel filters. Were they changed when you serviced it?
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:12 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Next time it does it, try this; without shutting off the engine, pop the fuel cap and put it right back on. If power is restored, you may have a blocked fuel tank vent line, or the filter therein. Quick and easy to diagnose, but a lot of fuel filters get changes and the problem does not get fixed. Limp home with the fuel tank cap loose and never refuel over about 3/4.

Same thing happened to me but it was the fuel pickup sock. May have to drain and drop the tank to get it fixed. Do the filters before the sock.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Typically, the very first thing that comes to mind are the fuel filters. Were they changed when you serviced it?
...the fuel filter(s) should've been changed when I took it in to Cummins for a full maintenance in January.

BTW, where are the fuel filters? I looked for it in the engine compartment but didn't see anything. Are there two also?

Thanks guys!

~George

P.S. TonyMac>> I will try your trick when I hit the road tomorrow if it happens again.
Old 06-03-2016, 05:08 PM   #5

Nor'easters Club
George - your fuel filters are only as good as your last fuel stop. You can get a load of bad fuel at any time and cause the symptoms you describe. On a MA the filters should be visible when you lift the rear hatch. -Ron
2019 Ford F150 Limited 450hp

RVRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 05:38 PM   #6

Your engine could of had an- over boost condition- happened to me. Shutting engine off was the right thing to do because it resetted the fault when you restarted it. Scarry wasn't it .
Old 06-03-2016, 06:01 PM   #7

I've had some funky things happen related to loss of power and no throttle response. Finally narrowed it down to cruise control related. Next time try turning cruise off by the switch and see if throttle response and or power returns.
mineralslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:49 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
You have 1 fuel filter, it is located on the passenger side under the batteries behind a black plastic shroud that is held on with two screws.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 10:07 PM   #9

...you guys are awesome!!

Thanks for the responses. Learning new things all the time.

~George
Old 06-05-2016, 05:40 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
The beauty of the Diesel engine to run it needs only air and fuel. If one of them is restricted, you will have reduced power. Sounds like you have a fuel flow problem.
Very good thing to have plumbed between your fuel filter (or directly on top of it) and engine is a vacuum gauge. The red pointer will stay on the highest value that your fuel system has seen. It will tell you if you need to change f. filter, and will save you unnecessary fuel filter changes. Marine stores sell them as a kit (Racor brand)
Attached Images

Buly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, power