Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2015, 10:22 PM   #1

Dryer vent flapping

Howdy all,

Last night we camped in high wind all throughout the evening. It was a steady 25mph, gusting likely to 35 or 40 at times. I finally got tired of hearing the slide topper on the FWS billowing, and late at night I got on here and read that maybe I shouldn't leave the slide out in those conditions. (!)

Anyway, after bringing in the slide, I discovered a new noise: the wind blowing down the side of the coach, unimpeded by the FWS, creates a venturi effect (suction) at the dryer exhaust cap. This suction pulls the dryer exhaust flap out over and over, creating a maddening flapping sound right inside our master bdrm.

At 3am, I was out there in the gale force winds, on a ladder, stuffing one of my lovely white socks into the hole to get it to shut up!

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking maybe I need a stiffer flap or a little magnet or something.

Thanks,

Ben
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2015, 11:39 PM   #2

Or you could just get on of those pick up tools , about 3 feet long with a clamp controlled from the handle , and have a sponge handy. So you don't need the ladder.
Anything that makes the flap harder to open will have an adverse effect on dryer venting , so it has to be easy to remove.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:44 AM   #3

It hasn't happened on our Dutch Star, but I taped the flapper 1 night on our Providence.

Very rare occurrence. Super annoying when it does though. Make sure to remove anything you put there.

We've had to put our full wall in many times during high winds. 27' of topper can't help but catch wind.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:13 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
Very rare occurrence. Super annoying when it does though. Make sure to remove anything you put there.
Okay, it's good to hear it's rare at least. I can put up with plugging it on demand if it's just a few times a year or whatever.

I have an assortment of "flags" I attach to my steering wheel if I do something unusual that would add a step at departure. I have assigned dryer sock flap stuffing to "purple." Sigh...

Tags
vent