Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2016, 10:28 AM   #1
jrs

DS 4369 Service Work

The DS 4369 is our current choice (Entegra Anthem 44A 2nd choice) at this point when we plan to go full timing in 2yrs & 10months. Have never owned a DP in the past and I like to conduct my own service work (grew up on a farm) . I realize I won't be able to do the oil changes while full timing but will still like to grease the rig, etc.... My questions are: 1) Will I be able to reach the driveshaft and front end zerks once the rig is aired down? Is there enough space to get under the rig? 2) If not is it practical while full timing to carry the appropriate jack stands while full timing (the stands would be placed under the rig when it's fully aired up and then aired down to rest on the stands)?

I have no idea how much space and storage we'll have while full timing in a DS 4369. Thanks in advance for the responses!

PS Here's a neat tool I'll probably get for more hands free greasing. https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-Gre...ing+grease+tip
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2016, 11:50 AM   #2

1 No
2 No
There is enough room to grease drive line when aired up. Spartan recommends greasing drive line every 5,000 miles and since we travel on 10,000 trips I have grease gun with us to lub. drive line.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #3

JRS- being an 'Old Farm Boy' myself, I do all my own service on my 2014 MADP as well as my past 3 Newmar coaches. Keep the coach suspension air'd up. If you're worried about it coming down- run all the HWH jacks down manually as a back-up safety measure. I use a portable 18 V grease gun with a 90 degree swivel tip- yes you can get to all the zerks on the suspension & drive shaft. Hardest part is checking the radiator fan drive gear box on the Freightliner chassis with the dust suppressor pan installed. You can drain the oil using 2- 4 gal. drain pans. Be sure to fill all of your fuel filters (engine & generator) with diesel prior to installing them, so you don't get a lot of air in the fuel lines. I also write the date & mileage on each filter with a Sharpie as well as keeping a 'Log Book' with everything that happens on the coach. I use Rotella 15-40W Diesel Oil because I change it every year. Cummings calls for changing it every 16,000 miles or 1 year- whichever comes first. Good luck & Happy Trails!
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:35 PM   #4
jrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
JRS- being an 'Old Farm Boy' myself, I do all my own service on my 2014 MADP as well as my past 3 Newmar coaches. Keep the coach suspension air'd up. If you're worried about it coming down- run all the HWH jacks down manually as a back-up safety measure. I use a portable 18 V grease gun with a 90 degree swivel tip- yes you can get to all the zerks on the suspension & drive shaft. Hardest part is checking the radiator fan drive gear box on the Freightliner chassis with the dust suppressor pan installed. You can drain the oil using 2- 4 gal. drain pans. Be sur e to fill all of your fuel filters (engine & generator) with diesel prior to installing them, so you don't get a lot of air in the fuel lines. I also write the date & mileage on each filter with a Sharpie as well as keeping a 'Log Book' with everything that happens on the coach. I use Rotella 15-40W Diesel Oil because I change it every year. Cummings calls for changing it every 16,000 miles or 1 year- whichever comes first. Good luck & Happy Trails!
Thanks for the response Capt. Bill. Great news that I won't need to carry any jack stands! Just didn't know the HWH jacks would serve as the backup. At this point also leaning towards the Spartan chassis. I'm assuming you don't full time if you change engine oil? On the fuel filters (if I recall correctly), fill from the small holes in the filters and not the center hole. Thanks again!
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:23 PM   #5

Correct on filling the fuel filters & no we aren't full timers. Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service