Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2020, 05:39 PM   #1

DS 4369 - XM Radio Satellite Antennae Rusting

The XM Radio Satellite Antennae on our roof is rusting. This results in rust residue that streams down our windshield with the AC condensation. These streaks are difficult to remove.

I haven't been on our roof for awhile and try to avoid doing so. As I recall, it is the mounting baseplate that is rusting. A RV technician covered the baseplate with silicone caulk a year ago, but the hard streaks have returned.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, What actions did you take to resolve the rusting on the Satellite Antennae?

Rex
and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2020, 06:15 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
The XM Radio Satellite Antennae on our roof is rusting. This results in rust residue that streams down our windshield with the AC condensation. These streaks are difficult to remove.

I haven't been on our roof for awhile and try to avoid doing so. As I recall, it is the mounting baseplate that is rusting. A RV technician covered the baseplate with silicone caulk a year ago, but the hard streaks have returned.

Has anyone else experienced this? If so, What actions did you take to resolve the rusting on the Satellite Antennae?

Rex
The antennas for your GPS and Satellite radio have a magnetic base. On my coach, Newmar siliconed two pieces of metal on the roof. That metal rusts. I removed both pieces, sanded all the rust and silicone off. I primed and painted with Rustoleum, reattached with silicone. I ran a bead of silicone around that metal piece and around each antenna. So far, no more rust. The bead of silicone around the metal will keep water from entering underneath that metal.
Car1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 07:57 PM   #3

Thanks, great answer.

Why not replace the rusting metal with stainless steel?
Old 10-15-2020, 08:49 PM   #4

I installed an automotive magnetic XM antenna INSIDE the top of the front fiberglass cap on my old junky coach. I found about a 4"x6" piece of scrap sheet steel (it was painted) and attached it behind the shelf over the drivers seat and up high in the windshield wiper access cavity. I may have added a ground wire, not sure, but that may not be necessary. However, some minimal RF-reflective material is required. The automotive XM antenna just clings magnetically to the steel ground plane. Then I ran the antenna cable down inside the left front trim cover to under the dash, then back out a cable hole where I have a portable XM mount on the dash. It has worked great for several years.
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks, great answer.

Why not replace the rusting metal with stainless steel?
Stainless steel is only mildly magnetic thus will not hold the antenna in place.
Old 10-15-2020, 09:12 PM   #6

I read that some stainless steel is more magnetic attached than others. Will stainless steel create the necessary RF reflection for the satellite antennae?
Old 10-16-2020, 12:38 AM   #7

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
I removed the rusty metal cleaned the area and attached the XM antenna with 3M tape.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3823.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	326.3 KB
ID:	304891
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 09:20 AM   #8

LK23- on your question of magnetivity of stainless steel- it depends on the grade- grade 316 stainless- 18% Chromium & 8% Nickel is the best & most rust proof- it has almost no magnetic attraction. Moving on down to grade 304 stainless, it has less Chromium & Nickel & will show a slight magnetic attraction. At the the bottom of the list is grade 430 stainless- muffler grade. It has a pretty decent magnetic attraction because of the very low content of Chromium & Nickel Vs Fe- iron.

I had this happen on my 2005 MADP & I removed it, wire cup brushed it clean & sprayed with Zinc Brite spray paint- cold galvanizing touch up paint. Go to Zorro.com to obtain Zinc Brite. The reason you use this is Zinc- Zn being lower on the electromotive scale than iron- Fe -major component of steel, the ZN will sacrifice itself before the Fe & you'll have very little rust over a longer period of time than paint. This is called galvanic protection. My repair was still looking good after 9 years & counting.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:37 PM   #9

Quote:
I read that some stainless steel is more magnetic attached than others. Will stainless steel create the necessary RF reflection for the satellite antennae?
Don't confuse magnetic with electric (conductive) properties. They are different. RF ground plane function requires electrical conductivity, not magnetic properties.

I believe any stainless it is conductive enough for a suitable ground plane. (if that's what you are asking).

Now that you reminded me, frankly, a ground plane may not be required in this application. I just went to the garage and confirmed I have an automotive XM antenna on my motorcycle that has a 1" wide thin (magnetic) steel angle bracket so it cant have much ground plane effect (not big enough). I was afraid the magnet wouldn't hold so added a zip tie. Although there is considerable ferritic steel in the gas tank 18 or so inches below it.

Edit: I went back and read FlaRider post. I agree with him double sided tape on a clean surface is the best solution here. Or just put it in a bed of DiCor or similar. Get rid of the rust source! Might ask him if his devices work ok after doing it.

Edit again. Well I googled around and found a ground plane IS recommended for some antennas. It is certainly going to depend on the signal strength and any blockage (trees, etc.). And here is a forum stream where a guy solved his dropout problem by adding an aluminum plate as a ground plane.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/xm-r...ane-99282.html
Old 10-16-2020, 08:18 PM   #10

Hmmmmm. Here is my take so far.

- The Newmar plate allows magnetic attraction and has electrical conductivity necessary for a base plate but heavily rusts.

- Some stainless steel allows magnetic attraction but is less rust resistant than other stainless steel that have no magnetic attraction. It is unknown whether it would have the electrical conductivity to make a good base plate.

- Aluminum has the electrical conductivity to make a good base plate but has no magnetic attraction.

No conclusion yet. I don't carry the tools to refurbish the Newmar base plate. Possibly I call Newmar on Monday and see if they will sell me a new plate that I can rust proof.
Old 10-17-2020, 06:51 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Hmmmmm. Here is my take so far.

- The Newmar plate allows magnetic attraction and has electrical conductivity necessary for a base plate but heavily rusts.

- Some stainless steel allows magnetic attraction but is less rust resistant than other stainless steel that have no magnetic attraction. It is unknown whether it would have the electrical conductivity to make a good base plate.

- Aluminum has the electrical conductivity to make a good base plate but has no magnetic attraction.

No conclusion yet. I don't carry the tools to refurbish the Newmar base plate. Possibly I call Newmar on Monday and see if they will sell me a new plate that I can rust proof.
Here is another option, even if you full time. Check the area you are in for a sheet metal fabrication shop or a HVAC shop. They will certainly cut you a couple pieces of sheet metal from their junk pile. 3 inches by 2 inches?? That metal is already galvanized. Go to Harbor Freight, Home Depot, Lowes and pick up a can of etching primer and a finish color of choice. Flat black? Prime and paint. Small squeeze tube of clear silicone. As I mentioned in a earlier post, silicone in place and around your antennas. You should be good to go until you at least trade for the King Aire.
Car1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 10:41 AM   #12

I called Newmar parts today and they sell the XM-radio base plate. It is 3 inch square piece of metal plate, painted white. Cost is $8.00

Once I get the part in hand I will attempt rust proof it.

Any suggestions for rust proofing would be appreciated.

Rex
Old 10-24-2020, 01:45 PM   #13

I ordered the new XM-Radio base plate and find it is a 3-inch square piece of steel painted white. I am not surprised and see why it rusts so easily. It has a light coating of white paint and the four holes add more places to rust. See Photo.

When I ordered this plate I thought I would have it electroplated to prevent rust. Now, I am thinking stainless steel would be better. I read online that a ground plate requires electrical conductivity and I think that is OK for stainless steel.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XM Radio ground plate.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	305776  
Old 10-25-2020, 09:03 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
OK, so I am a newbie to all of this...but, did you know that you can leave the antenna inside the coach? Just put it by the windshield and hide the cable. This has worked for me for years.
Dr. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, radio, rust, satellite