RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2020, 11:34 AM   #1

DS and TPMS

I have a Newmar Dutch Star. Recently had a scare when the right rear outer dual went flat. Didn't even know it when I drove it to get its annual state inspection as it drove normally and it didn't look flat, visually. The tire was repaired, reinflated and put back on. I should have been paying more attention to the tire pressures... Dumb! Anyway, I also recently started "toading." Can't see the car tow dolly or the car when towing (except from backup cam) so I've decided that getting a TPMS is crucial to safety and possible damage. I've narrowed the choices to EEZ and Tireminder. I really liked the TST but... their prices are $225 more than the other two. Any opinions?
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2020, 12:30 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You will find most people here have the TPMS sensors because they maybe more reliable.
This link has discussions on tire pressure monitors, proper tire inflation and many other items in your coach.
Enjoy the forum safe travels.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:12 PM   #3

I have TST and have had good luck with them. Customer service is very good, even with my 7 yr old setup. I have 12 sensors for the coach and toad. .
Regarding your flat tire, I'd be looking at replacing that one and the other one on the same hub. If it was flat, it may have damaged the tire internally. I had it happen once and while re-airing the tire, it zippered,destroying the tire. And then the other tire on that hub was bearing the full load while the other tire was flat. It may have been over loaded. Your call
Old 08-15-2020, 01:45 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
I prefer TST. My first TPMS system was purchased based on good reviews (most all of them have good reviews) and better price. So many false readings I got rid of it and went to TST. Been perfect so far including detecting a slow leak.
Old 08-15-2020, 03:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I have TST and have had good luck with them. Customer service is very good, even with my 7 yr old setup. I have 12 sensors for the coach and toad. .
Regarding your flat tire, I'd be looking at replacing that one and the other one on the same hub. If it was flat, it may have damaged the tire internally. I had it happen once and while re-airing the tire, it zippered,destroying the tire. And then the other tire on that hub was bearing the full load while the other tire was flat. It may have been over loaded. Your call
Crasher also suggested the same re: the right rear duals. These tires only have 10K miles on them... hate to replace them as both are fine or appear to be fine now. Drove them on a trip to east Texas recently and all was well... I'll just have to mull that over... but with TPMS on those tires for sure! Am leaning toward EEZ RV due to the cost of TST; over $200 more! Anyways, Southern Tire seemed to think there were no issues but... one never knows. Hopefully the TPMS will give me some warning.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:21 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Whichever system you buy I highly suggest NOT getting flow through sensors. Get the regular sensors and remove the anti-theft cap. It is just as easy to check pressure....just unscrew the sensor like you would a regular valve stem cap. And the regular sensor without the theft cap has a lot less mass to bounce around on the stem. Many less headaches in the long run.
BTW, I have had the TST system for many years with zero problems.

Jerry & Judy, Fremont, California
2017 Dutch Star 4018
Freightliner, HWH Active Air
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:53 AM   #7

TST - and as mentioned don’t get flow thru, I’ve had my set of 12 for 4yrs now and only have to deal with battery change. I have my repeater mounted in the rear battery compartment. Don’t buy strictly on price. Good luck
Old 08-16-2020, 06:23 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67vette View Post
TST - and as mentioned donít get flow thru, Iíve had my set of 12 for 4yrs now and only have to deal with battery change. I have my repeater mounted in the rear battery compartment. Donít buy strictly on price. Good luck

Same here; TST, 12 non flow thru and repeater mounted in a rear closet. Check the system you want...most make you pay extra for a repeater. TST included it.

RVRon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
Crasher also suggested the same re: the right rear duals. These tires only have 10K miles on them... hate to replace them as both are fine or appear to be fine now. Drove them on a trip to east Texas recently and all was well... I'll just have to mull that over... but with TPMS on those tires for sure! Am leaning toward EEZ RV due to the cost of TST; over $200 more! Anyways, Southern Tire seemed to think there were no issues but... one never knows. Hopefully the TPMS will give me some warning.

Do yourself a favor and buy the TST system. I have had mine for years with zero issues.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67vette View Post
TST - and as mentioned donít get flow thru, Iíve had my set of 12 for 4yrs now and only have to deal with battery change. I have my repeater mounted in the rear battery compartment. Donít buy strictly on price. Good luck
I agree about not getting flow thrus... had already determined that issue. Unfortunately, I need 10 sensor/transmitters for my rig. TST and other online resellers wants $661 for a 10 sensor kit. EEZ which also gets very good reviews is $400. I can't justify the extra cost. EEZ shows PSI and temp for each tire just like TST. Only thing I haven't determined is whether the EEZ can drop the toad/tow dolly when I'm not towing.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:55 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Sometimes, inexpensive becomes expensive in the long run.

I also use the TST system. Great customer service, even had them answer on a weekend as some of the employees are there working. I also agree, stay away from the flow thru models as they stick out quite a bit, especially on the front.

I placed my TST repeater in the starting battery bay and wired it directly to a battery cable. I get good coverage and no drop outs.

I also like that TST has o-ring kits available. As part of my yearly service, every two years, I replace the batteries. Once you disassemble them the o-rings are ruined. I replace the o-rings and batteries and put them back into service.

I have 14 sensors with my toad nd tag axle.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post
I agree about not getting flow thrus... had already determined that issue. Unfortunately, I need 10 sensor/transmitters for my rig. TST and other online resellers wants $661 for a 10 sensor kit. EEZ which also gets very good reviews is $400. I can't justify the extra cost. EEZ shows PSI and temp for each tire just like TST. Only thing I haven't determined is whether the EEZ can drop the toad/tow dolly when I'm not towing.
I have the same question with EEZ and disconnecting the trailer. An email was promptly answered 'please call our tech department for an explanation' - which I haven't done yet.
CIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 06:00 PM   #13

Talking Decision Time On TPMS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIDE View Post
I have the same question with EEZ and disconnecting the trailer. An email was promptly answered 'please call our tech department for an explanation' - which I haven't done yet.
Cide, I was able to find out definite info on turning off/dropping the toad/dolly sensors: EEZ DOES allow this as does TST. With this information, I can now say that I'm about to go with EEZ. The EEZ unit seems to have every feature that the TST has except the color monitor--and TSTs inflated price. IRV threads and IRV members are arbout equally divided on the two systems with the other makers (Tireminder, Tire Traker, Belacorp, etc.) trailing. So unless you guys start screaming at me, "No! Don't do that!!" tomorrow, I'm placing my order! A big shout out from me to you for helping me with this expensive decision!
Old 08-16-2020, 06:45 PM   #14

I too believe the TPMS system is a must for RVer's, especially after almost having a flat on the toad and not knowing it. I arrived at a campground and found I only had 15 psi in one of the toad's tires due to a nail. I have been using the Tire Traker system for 3 years now and have had no problems with it (Tire Traker also has a lifetime guarantee which is nice). Like jerry davis above, I see no real advantage to using the flow-through sensors especially if you use valve caps. It is as easy to remove the sensor as it is the valve caps.

One thing I have noticed in using the system is that the toads left front tire consistently runs hotter, according to the TPMS, than the other tires. My MH's exhaust is on the left side. I believe the hot exhaust is the reason that side of the toad runs hotter. I talked to Tire Traker's customers service and asked them about. Was told no one had asked that question but he though my assumption sounded reasonable.

Tags
tpms