RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2017, 05:52 PM   #1

DS Tag Tire Excessive Wear - 2017 Dutch Star

We have 6,000 miles on our 2017 Dutch Star. The driver's side tag tire is wearing much more than the other tires. See photos: The tread siping on the DS tire (first image) is gone. All other tires are similar to the other photo.

I read on the forum about the tag axle out of alignment. Do you think this is the cause?

I sent the photos to Freightliner and don't expect a reply until after Memorial Day.

Rex
Attached Images

and: The Aviators: Stories of Helicopter Combat in Vietnam 1971-72
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2017, 06:02 PM   #2

We have a 2016 4369 with 15,000 and our tires are perfect. You may have a problem with the steerable tag alignment.

judgebobk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 05:33 AM   #3
Rd1

Rex,

you can stand behind the coach and compare the tag tires to the drive axle tires. Usually you can spot if the tags are out of center. One side would be 2-3" further out than the other.

Even if not, the alignment on the tags could be off.

a couple of weeks back at the newmar camp, there was another DS getting tags straightened up. they found out the plunger for one of the tags was hanging down!!! Apparently, the plunger was tack welded on three spots, but they forgot to completely weld the piece. it broke off, the owner didn't know. and ofcourse the tags wheels were loose at speed.

on my 17LADP, the plungers were not set properly. there was a gap from plungers to the tag wheels. the tags not locked at speed could cause them to get dragged at times. at 3500 mi, one tag tire was completely destroyed, and replaced. another 3k mi the second set was damaged and replaced again.

FCCC certainly knows how to make a disaster. you are not the only one. most of FCCC passive steers have issues and most owners do not know it, unfortunately. FCCC/Daimler are extremely irresponsible and reckless for not issuing a recall for at least all their passive steer tag unit for 2016, 2017 units.
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:22 AM   #4

Rd1,

Thanks for the input.

Did Newmar assist you in any way or was all your effort through Freightliner?

When looking from behind our motor home, I can see no obvious problem with the alignment.

Where are the plungers located and what should I look for?

Rex
Old 05-29-2017, 09:12 AM   #5

Looks to me like your DS tag is out of alignment & toed out from the pictures. I'm sure that will be a Freightliner Warranty issue. I would also make them give you a new tire.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 09:20 AM   #6

Other owners having been saying the FL tag axle problem has been taken care of but LK23 sure has a tag axle problem.
tom chelbana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:17 PM   #7

Does anyone know the minimal usable tread depth on Michelin tires. I searched the Michelin web site and could not find anything.

I measured my Driver's Side Tag Axle tire and it has 11/32 on the outer tread and 13/32 on the inner treads. All treads on the other tires are 17/32. I have lost 6/32 on the DS Tag tire. Before I talk to Freightliner, I want to determine what percentage of the tire's usable life has been lost.

Rex
Old 05-29-2017, 06:50 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LK23

I had a similar issue with my 2013 Dutch Star and it turned out to be an “out of spec” tag axle. Was towed out/in (?) when initially made. After about 25,000 miles, my passenger tag tire blew out and when I checked, the driver’s side was very worn as well. I reported the issue to Freightliner and they jumped right on it and had me bring the coach up to Gaffney and they replaced the entire tag axle assembly. They also reimbursed me for the tag tires I had replaced. Not sure if you have the same issue since only one tag tire is wearing … but I could not have asked for any better service out of the Freightliner folks.

Below is the driver's side tag when I replaced it. Passenger tag had blown.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire 2 resized.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	218.1 KB
ID:	163475  
FLSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 07:17 PM   #9

I anxiously wait to hear what Freightliner and Newmar say about my problem tomorrow. I certainly cannot afford to drive to Gaffney for repair. We live in our Dutch Star full-time. We are presently in Colorado with plans to depart in July for the Pacific NW.
Old 05-30-2017, 10:30 AM   #10
Rd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LK23 View Post
Rd1,

Thanks for the input.

Did Newmar assist you in any way or was all your effort through Freightliner?

When looking from behind our motor home, I can see no obvious problem with the alignment.

Where are the plungers located and what should I look for?

Rex
Rex, it is a freightliner issue, however, Newmar will assist to. as suggested, it looks like out of toe issue. what ever freightliner you go to, need to make sure they can do all wheel alignment (all three axles). not all freightliner dealers can do all three axle alignment. it may also be helpful to know if they can do RV alignment, v truck alignment. most places will do alignment with truck specs.

you also want to make sure they check the drive axle. there has been a number of the freightliner passive steer tags with drive axle out of spec and not true to the chassis.

Plungers are located behind the tag axle right by the tire. you have to look under and behind the tag tire. kinda tight spot to look under.

when parked on a flat level surface with parking brakes applied, the plungers should by fully extended and in contact with the steel plate (see pic). the brass looking part should be on the steel plate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FCCC_plunger.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	163530  
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 05:04 PM   #11

After a long day of phone calls to Newmar, Freightliner and Transwest, I have an appointment on the June 13th to have the alignment (all wheel). Freightliner sent detailed instructions to Transwest in Fountain, Colorado.
Old 06-03-2017, 10:43 AM   #12

In preparation for my Freightliner alignment appointment, I took photos of the tax axle plungers. I cannot see anything out of the ordinary with the plungers other than the excessive grease applied by my last Freightliner PM.

The problem wheel is the Driver's Side in the left photo.

Rex
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DS Tag Plunger 2.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	119.5 KB
ID:	163948   Click image for larger version

Name:	PS Tag Plunger.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	163949  

Old 06-14-2017, 09:50 PM   #13

Update on my appointment with Transwest Freightliner to correct the excessive wear on the DS tag tire.

The entire alignment took a day and a half. That was frustrating since we expected to have it completed in one day. Frankly, I think Transwest underestimated the time to work through the Freightliner procedures on this problem.

First, they found the tag axle was centered on the coach - no problem there.

Second, the plunger mount welds were OK

Third, after making minor corrections to the steer axle alignment they found the DS tag wheel had incorrect Toe-in. The PS Tag wheel was within spec. This all made sense based on the tire wear. They made the corrections and we left with a new Michelin tire replacing the badly worn DS tag tire.

We are relieved this ordeal is over and hope the alignment corrections cure the problem.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:55 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Hi Rex - Good to hear that this problem is in the past for you. I guess the trip to the northwest will show if they were really successful. The fix sounds right.

Tom

Ricci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star