Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-27-2018, 11:38 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
DS under slide lights don’t match awning lights

On my 2018 DS the under slide lights are off white LED’s and the awning LED’s are bright white. Is this normal? Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6984.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	208704  
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2018, 12:26 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
This sounds typical to me...

I've noticed little thought goes into things like the color temperature of the many lights in an RV, among others. And it's annoying.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:27 PM   #3

This is normal. I plan on changing my underside strip out w multi colored.
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
On my 2018 DS the under slide lights are off white LED’s and the awning LED’s are bright white. Is this normal? Thoughts?
Which do you prefer if you had a choice?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 12:47 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't know the specifics of the situation but my guess, having worked a lot with LED's over the recent past on mine is they are two different manufacturers. Girard is using one brand, Newmar is using another and with different color specs. Typically multi-color LED's are not pure/bright white, which is unfortunate, I'd prefer that like on the Girards but only single color can get that white. So that makes me wonder if your under slide are actually multicolor LED capable as one reason. If you aren't sure as I'm not sure if it's supposed to be multi-color, if you can find the end of the LED strip where the wire connection is you'll see a four point solder for color LED's (RGB and power).
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:18 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
FWIW, mine are also different on my 2017 DSDP.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck53 View Post
Which do you prefer if you had a choice?

The white awning lights
Old 06-27-2018, 01:29 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpecks View Post
This is normal. I plan on changing my underside strip out w multi colored.

Sounds like from what Neal is saying, the multi colored are not white white.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:32 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
DS under slide lights don’t match awning lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by NealC View Post
if you can find the end of the LED strip where the wire connection is you'll see a four point solder for color LED's (RGB and power).

Thank you I will look tonight. Do you think the switch’s and bedroom slide controls will be effected by change to multi color?
Sorry the slide in switch’s
Old 06-27-2018, 01:36 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Thank you I will look tonight. Do you think the switch’s and bedroom slide controls will be effected by change to multi color?
Not at all, it all depends how a multi-color LED is wired. If you don't have a controller that connects all four wires i.e. only connects two for white only, that's just the way it's wired. We can take a multi-color LED and hard wire it to be only RED for example such as for a night light that won't blind you in the basement. But I doubt they would install a multi-color LED if it wasn't intended or wired for multi-color use. If you're not sure it's multi-colored then it's probably not. My guess this situation is just two different types of LED's just like light bulbs, Girard is using the whitest white, Newmar chose a brand that's probably less powerful and/or a cooler (yellow'er) white. Girard uses an oddly bright LED and I love it but it's not the norm I don't think.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:39 PM   #11

Light color temperature

The apparent color of "white" lights is referred to as color temperature. And it's measured in degrees Kelvin (K°). The higher the number, the "cooler" or bluer the light. And conversely, the lower the number, the "warmer" or yellow/oranger the light.

Daylight is considered to be somewhere between 5,000 K° and 7,600 K°. The higher number is cooler -- similar to blue "Sky Light." Most "Cool White" lights fall into this category.

Interior or "Incandescent" light color temperature is generally from 2,600 K° (very warm-white) up to around 3,200 K° (a more neutral interior "white", but many -- including me -- consider 3,200 K° still a bit too cool in color.

When you buy L.E.D. lights or bulbs, there should be a color temp. spec. But in general, "Warm-White" (2,700 K° - 2,900 K°) are most pleasing to most people. Personally, I like light around the 2,800 K° range.

Brightness is independent of color temperature. You can have really bright "Warm-White" bulbs and you can have dim "Cool-White" bulbs. Brightness is usually measured in Lumens (used to be CP or Candle Power).

So if you want bright warm light -- look for a low color temperature and high lumens rating.

Anyway, when you buy lights in fixtures, you rarely have any choice regarding color temperature. But when you buy replacement bulbs, you usually do. And for this reason, I usually try to avoid buying light fixtures where the L.E.D.s are permanently soldered in. I prefer plug-in L.E.D. bulbs so I can control the brightness and color temp.

If you want your lights to match color, you'll have to see if you can switch out any of the L.E.D. bulbs. And if you can, then find a really good L.E.D. bulb vendor with lots of brightness and color temperature choices. And then match these bulbs with the ones you can't change.

But that said, there's a huge quality-control difference between many of the supposedly identical bulbs -- even from the same manufacturer. I've found that when I buy several at a time, they usually all match in color. but if/when I buy a similar one months or years later, the color temp. doesn't match exactly.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
WoodyS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, light, lights, slide