Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2014, 01:53 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DSDP Front Curb Side Slide - Slide Topper

We are getting very close to placing as order for a DSDP 4369. We've done a lot of research and learned an awful lot from these forums. One thing we noticed, but have not seen discussed here, was the lack of a slide topper on the front curb side slide out. We called Newmar to inquire about this and they advised to just use the awning as a topper as they do not have room to install a topper there. Of douse we can do that, but it does not seem ideal.

The question is, what have others' experiences been with this? We're mostly concerned about rain accumulating on the top of the slide and then either leaking in or bringing in a bunch of water when retracting the slide. I would have thought Newmar could have installed the awning on the slide itself, thus leaving room for the topper (although the awning would them become shorter).

Any feedback on your experience with this is appreciated.
CapuTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2014, 02:01 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
The lack of a topper on the front curb side slide is never an issue. Iusually put the awning out when it is not windy. With the awning in I've never had rain on the slide top.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:22 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum.
Here is a Brochure and Owners Guide for you.
The slide seal will keep any water out of the interior of coach the action of slide when moving in the seal will wipe the roof clean of moisture and roof of slide has a slope for water to run off. You need to check the side walls of slide to see if the rubber seal is laying flat against the side wall if there is a twist of seal on side wall run the awning tool behind the seal so it seats flat against the slide wall.
Waxing the slide wall helps is movement of slide through the surrounding rubber seal and seal can be cleaned a waxed with 303 Protectorate.
In my signature below are three links that will apply to your new Newmar.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:03 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When we bought our 2012 DSDP, I also had the same question and for a moment thought it had been missed when the coach was built. I offered to pay Newmar while at the Factory Service Center to add a slide topper on the curbside slide-out, and I received the very same answer as you. At the Service Center, I was shown that on our coach that particular slide it has a slope on the top that promotes the water to runoff away from the body gasket. We have never had an issue with this in the 2 1/2 years we have owned the coach.

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 03:05 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the responses. If it has a slope that alleviates much of the concern. We are just waiting now to see if there are any significant changes coming to the 2015 models. I think we are only a month or two away from the 2015s.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:32 PM   #6

My 03 does not have a topper and I have never had water issues because of it. I usually leave the awning out just over the slide unless it's windy.
Old 03-26-2014, 03:47 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi CapuTech,
In addition to what has been posted, consider deploying the main awning to cover the slide. This will keep the sun from beating down on the top of the slide and heating up the cupboards (and their contents) on that slide.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 04:44 PM   #8

No matter how hard it rains we've never had a problem with water. The wiper that Newmar has works for better than our old Fleetwood.

If I know it's going to storm the night before we're leaving, I'll put that slide in. Just so I don't have to think about it. Besides, that slide is the shallowest of the 3. So it really doesn't eat any floor space.

Tags
slide