RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-20-2020, 10:52 AM   #1

DSDP pedal placement

Due to the steering column position are the gas/brake pedal moved excessively to the right? Still contemplating between a DSDP or a Super C. Due to an injury I drive my personal vehicles with my left leg. I know I am comfortable in a Super C but I am liking the DS better. I also don't want to waste a salesmans time until I am ready to purchase. Thanks
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2020, 11:22 AM   #2

On my vintage DSDP, I found that the drivers seat was 1 1/4" off to the left of being centered to the steering wheel . This offset led to left shoulder discomfort on long drives, as my right elbow could be on the arm rest but my left could not.
The seat position was in part to allow , clearance to the slide flange when the seat was moved to it's full rearward adjustment( I don't know anyone who would require the seat to be back that far for driving.) .
Doing some measurements I found that the floor flange of the seat pedestal was wide enough to allow for re-drilling of the mount holes to center the seat to the steering; so I moved the seat.
My chassis the throttle and brake are solid floor mounted , newer chassis with hanging adjustable pedals may have a better seat placement , but the seat position might be worth looking into .
Old 11-20-2020, 05:58 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Here is a photo of our 2019 pedals on a Freightliner chassis. My 2014 was the same, so I'm guessing that anywhere between 2013 - 2020 the setup will be the same. Prior to back surgery, I had a lot of leg pain and would often stretch my right leg out to the right into the center of the cab. The pedals are adjustable in and out.

Once I start up a freeway on ramp, I turn on the cruise control and just advance the cruise until my desired speed. The engine brake does a lot of braking, so there is limited time touching the pedals except in traffic and low speed maneuvers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20201120_155242.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	265.5 KB
ID:	308728
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 06:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
On my vintage DSDP, I found that the drivers seat was 1 1/4" off to the left of being centered to the steering wheel . This offset led to left shoulder discomfort on long drives, as my right elbow could be on the arm rest but my left could not.
The seat position was in part to allow , clearance to the slide flange when the seat was moved to it's full rearward adjustment( I don't know anyone who would require the seat to be back that far for driving.) .
Doing some measurements I found that the floor flange of the seat pedestal was wide enough to allow for re-drilling of the mount holes to center the seat to the steering; so I moved the seat.
My chassis the throttle and brake are solid floor mounted , newer chassis with hanging adjustable pedals may have a better seat placement , but the seat position might be worth looking into .
+1 Exactly the same on our '13 VTDP and I found it tiresome " reaching" for the accelerator. Added a "lip" to the right side of the pedal so foot didn't slide further right and off. My pedals not adjustable so I also added a blick to the pedal to bring it closer to the seat by 3/4". Attached w adhesive backed velcro and 2 cable ties through drilled holes in block.
I hesitated moving pedestal and having to drill through tile and figure out under floor mounting, intergerence etc.

I recently pulled seats to have recovered and found i could redrill the 2 steel supports on bottom of the seat that attach to the 6 way mechanism and could get enough to center the seat. Only done some short drives since replacement but it seemed MUCH more comfortable being centered. I didn't have to move seat as far fwd to reach accel. No big issue w seat and slide flange IMO as I never have seat completely back only fwd when rotating seat.
Never thought to take pics while apart but not too hard to Redhill 4 holes. Just be careful w measurement so the bolts line up.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 10:44 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I hear ya. Both my Newmars have had poor pedal location. They have both had pedals too far to the right. It seems like it should be a simple thing to fix. I have gotten somewhat used to their placement.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:39 PM   #6

My '04 DSDP is similar to the pic above. It took awhile to get used to and I still am subconscious of where they are. When I first purchased and started using it I found myself pressing on the steering column boot for brakes. I still periodically push on the boot when starting out on a trip. I found I would do it before I released air brakes so I have caught myself in time. Driving hasn't been a issue so far and hopefully it won't.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:46 PM   #7

There are ways to 'move' the accelerator pedal to the left of the steering column. It won't help you reach the brake pedal, but it will eliminate the crossover you've have otherwise.

The kits can be purchased to do this yourself, or you can have a local accessibility shop do the work if you are not able.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:30 PM   #8

I sent an email to Newmar but never received a reply. If I could have a duplicate set on the left side of the steering column I would be happy
outlawten5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace