RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2014, 03:50 PM   #1

Unhappy DSDP Slide problem, again

So, folks, it has been a little over a year since we thrashed this slide out issue around and, of course, it is essentially the same problem. Since August of 2013 when I last posted on this issue, I took the coach to a good RV repair facility in Escondido CA and they spent many days troubleshooting this problem with the help of Newmar.

The factory suggested, based on all the stuff that had already been replaced and tried, that the tech check the entire wiring harness. Connector by connector, I guess from the bill he spent many hours on it. He did find a broken bolt which he replaced and he checked all wiring connections. We had been through the current adjustment on the Intelitec controller to no avail.

Every time he tried the slide, it worked. He was never able to get it to fail. After I picked it up a couple of weeks ago, I tried the slide-out three or four times and it worked every time. Then, yesterday, at a most inopportune time, it failed to work. As usual, after waiting a couple hours, I tried it again and it worked perfect. I should add that when it does not work, the voice announcement does play and the locks unlock and then NOTHING.

To date, we have replaced the slide motor, the Intelitec controller, checked all the wiring, tried adjusting the potentiometer on the controller, made sure we are on shore power, and that the coach is level and for good measure we always throw a pinch of salt over the left shoulder but we continue to experience a slide-out that refuses to slide out on occasion. And, in every case, if we just wait a while, it will work fine. It is just baffling.

Surely someone else has experienced this problem on a 2008 DSDP or similar coach that uses the same slide hardware.

Would really appreciate any additional suggestions.

LonandLaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2014, 04:08 PM   #2

Questions , just to make sure , I'm reading you post correctly.
Always the same slide ?
Just when trying to put the slide out, never have a problem putting the slide in?

EDIT: A second thought, I always have them. Do your slide locks have sensors on them to tell the controller the locks have released?

Old 09-02-2014, 05:26 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Don't know if this was checked last year, but is there a auto resetting circuit breaker (don't know if this is what they are called) in the slide motor wiring harness? If such a thing exists, it may be just a bit low of an amp rating for the starting amps of the motor and cuts out on occasion. Then after a while it resets and all is well again till next time when the conditions are just right and the motor draws just a bit more amps at startup to trip the auto reset breaker.
Old 09-02-2014, 08:30 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
So far I've replaced the controller (voice quit) and motor and the slide still stops part way up the ramp. Have been pulling from the inside for years. Last weekend I looked closer and there are reinforcing boards under the slide and they're hanging up on the carpet. Now I need to figure out how to tack the carpet down with almost no room to work.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Slide locks again here is a diagram maybe for your controller and slide lock, if controller see's no release of slide lock, controller will not move slide.
Slide locks get rain water in them when slide is outside and the moisture causes all kinds of problems for slides.
Have they ever open the slide lock box and checked the insides or maybe changed the two slide locks.
More info on slide locks.

Power lock arm adjustments can be found at end of this PDF.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:00 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Check to make sure the coupler is connected tight
Ron & Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #7

Slide Sensors

I have had this happen on three of my four slides. In each case, after hours of testing (according to the bill) it turned out to be the "Slide Sensor needing adjustment". Seems to be a simple fix, but apparently hard to identify. It seems to take 2-3 hours at $106 per hour.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JBrockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Even though you have replaced the motor, I would not not assume that it is 100% reliable. Next time it won't go out , have someone select the slide to operate and at the same time tap on the motor, Good luck these type of intermittant problems are a pain in the butt.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Questions , just to make sure , I'm reading you post correctly.
Always the same slide ?
Just when trying to put the slide out, never have a problem putting the slide in?

EDIT: A second thought, I always have them. Do your slide locks have sensors on them to tell the controller the locks have released?
Yes, always the same slide, the drivers side front slide. And have never had a problem getting it to come back in. And it always goes out eventually, just have to wait 2 to 12 hours.

As for the slide lock sensors, I do not know the answer to that. When the locks complete their cycle, that is when the slide starts moving out, except when it doesn"t.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarwiebe View Post
Don't know if this was checked last year, but is there a auto resetting circuit breaker (don't know if this is what they are called) in the slide motor wiring harness? If such a thing exists, it may be just a bit low of an amp rating for the starting amps of the motor and cuts out on occasion. Then after a while it resets and all is well again till next time when the conditions are just right and the motor draws just a bit more amps at startup to trip the auto reset breaker.
Yes, I have tried that. Newmar said to pull it out and then plug it back in. Found it in the half bath on my 4317 model. I think there is one for each slide and it is a small metal can about the size of dice, or a little smaller. That does not seem to help this problem. But next time it happens, I will try that just in case. I can't imagine that resetting itself would take a couple hours in one case and 12 hours the next time.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007";2211351]Slide locks again here [B][URL="http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/power-slide-lock-95819.html#post889965
is a diagram [/URL][/B]maybe for your controller and slide lock, if controller see's no release of slide lock, controller will not move slide.
Slide locks get rain water in them when slide is outside and the moisture causes all kinds of problems for slides.
Have they ever open the slide lock box and checked the insides or maybe changed the two slide locks.
More info on slide locks.

Power lock arm adjustments can be found at end of this PDF.

We have not pursued that possibility. Plan on taking the coach to a Newmar dealer in Riverside and will ask them to check that first as it is something not previously addressed, to my knowledge.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Kerrie View Post
Check to make sure the coupler is connected tight
Not sure what "coupler" that would be.
Old 09-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrockey View Post
I have had this happen on three of my four slides. In each case, after hours of testing (according to the bill) it turned out to be the "Slide Sensor needing adjustment". Seems to be a simple fix, but apparently hard to identify. It seems to take 2-3 hours at $106 per hour.
Do you know what sensor it turned out to be. Might it be the slide lock sensor mentioned above?
Old 09-03-2014, 10:25 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
I believe it is a lock sensor issue. When the slide does not want to move out , let someone to look at the LED lights on the slide controller. While you are pushing the slide open button, the two outside LEDs (LA1 and LA2) should be on (assuming that the locks are fully open). If not, the controller does think that the locks are not open and will not move the slide out. That's why it only happens when you want to move the slide out. If the LEDs are not on, the sensor needs adjustment or replacement. The light will stay on only for a few seconds, so it is a two person operation.

2015 DSDP 4369 with HWH Active Air, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Roadmaster tow bar, SMI AirForce One, Silverleaf VMSPc
andyh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide