Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2019, 10:16 AM   #1

DTV vs. Dish Network

I’m trying to get DNS for my DTV. Submitted the paperwork over a month ago with no results. I’ve read that DTV no longer has DNS available. Wondering about Dish network which has an option for local channels. Do they have an antenna that allows 5 different programs to be recorded at once? Can you watch 5 different programs at once?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2019, 11:00 AM   #2

I have DISH. We get local channels wherever we are. At one point you had to call, then you could use the chat function. Now you can use either one of those or use the Mydish app. When we travel we change local channels frequently. We haven't had a problem for years. With DTV I have no first hand knowledge. I have heard everything from no problem to absolute horror stories attempting to change service address.

I can't speak to recording 5 programs at the same time, that would probably depend on the dish and receiver configuration. You also asked, "Can you watch 5 different programs at once?" How many TVs do you have in that bad boy?

All in all, it seems DISH is much more user friendly to RVers.
born2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 12:47 PM   #3

We have 4 TVs in our coach. But there are only 2 of us! However, we often record 5 programs at once.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:32 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Cannot speak to DISH. We have DTV, to change your service location, currently you have to call them and change the "service address" not the Billing address.
However this is all going to change, for both DISH and DTV some of both of their sats are falling out of the sky, so they are going to eliminate all Standard Definitions based channels, it has already started to happen in the SW. Everyone loves who they love, actually I don't love DTV they used to be great, then ATT bought them, you can still talk to a person, it just takes patience. I don't do any sports, and the news is making me so I don't want to watch that, so when my Contract is up, I am going to cancel, and use OTA for any TV I need. But if I had to choose, well you choose, I already have. I don't know what DNS stands for, but my current system works across the USA with no issues.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:57 PM   #5

This subject is now being discussed in the technology section of the forum....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toltec View Post
We have 4 TVs in our coach. But there are only 2 of us! However, we often record 5 programs at once.
You'll need a recorder/ receiver for each tv...pretty hard to record two different channels at the same time off 1 receiver...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
You'll need a recorder/ receiver for each tv...pretty hard to record two different channels at the same time off 1 receiver...

Actually not hard at all on Dish. With a 613 recievers you can record two channels at once, with a Hopper, several but not sure how many.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:28 AM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
No more HBO on Dish...hasn't been available for months. Also, no CBS channel in the Ft. Meyers, FL market. A disturbing trend
Old 04-02-2019, 04:28 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We have DNS with DTV and receive the east coast locals (NYC). It took about a month for the request to process. The DNS was turned on without any kind of notice other than showing up on our bill. If you applied check the 390 channels for the east feed. I don’t know the west feed channels. We use a genie in the coach which records 4 or 5 shows at a time - can’t remember which. The DW is in charge of recording. Before the DNS was activated I found chatting with tech support very easy when requesting an address change for locals. I don’t know if you still can but I used a campground address near NYC which allowed me to receive the feeds everywhere we traveled.
Boilervol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 08:24 AM   #10

Not So!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
My Directv Genie records 5 different programs at one time.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:31 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dish Hopper 3 will record 16 channels at once. Month to month plan works for us as we don’t do SAT at home.
Old 04-09-2019, 06:27 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure what DNS is, however, with our DTV we just chat/call with new service address and pooof! local channels appear. Now since AT&T took over poof sometimes can take 40 minutes talking to someone in some foreign country that speaks a different English than I, but once they get it (took 20 minutes one time to get them to spell KINGS correctly) it works great. Also with the Genie and Mini-genie I have recorded 5 things at the same time, not sure what the limit is, just know 5 things recorded at once.

Got DTV instead of Dish for Sunday Ticket football
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dish