Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2023, 02:19 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dual water pumps

I prefer to run off my fresh tank and let autofill manage the tank from the city supply. Generally speaking the flow rate from my pump is superior.

I am looking to improve volume and pressure under load, ie: shower while washing clothes.

I have found some really nice 120v options, but nothing in the 12v.

There are some 48v options, which I could do with a dc to DC charger. The other option is running a 2nd 12v pump and run it in parallel.

I am wondering if anyone has done this. If I used a variable speed for both, I think parallel would be the ideal install.

Any thoughts?
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2023, 02:45 PM   #2

I was wondering the same thing on my 2021 Essex.

I have 48 volt onboard now after the lithium upgrade, do you happen to have the 48 volt pump model number your were considering?
Ezhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 03:43 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezhik View Post
I was wondering the same thing on my 2021 Essex.

I have 48 volt onboard now after the lithium upgrade, do you happen to have the 48 volt pump model number your were considering?
120v
https://www.headhunterinc.com/produc...pressure-pump/

24v
https://www.headhunterinc.com/produc...ressure-syste/
This is the pump I am leaning towards.

Seems like the 48v stuff I was finding is not designed for the purpose.
Old 03-25-2023, 04:18 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
120v
https://www.headhunterinc.com/produc...pressure-pump/

24v
https://www.headhunterinc.com/produc...ressure-syste/
This is the pump I am leaning towards.

Seems like the 48v stuff I was finding is not designed for the purpose.

I would love to run a 120v headhunter, I think it's the pump Newell and Liberty Coach use as their primary but they also have a 12v backup.

Ironically I replaced my Shurflo water pump today, when I removed the original one that came from the factory the filter was plugged with plastic shards and the pump was sounding like it was struggling and would not turn off. The new one works like a charm and is nice and quiet.
Ezhik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 05:56 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
@redbaron - As the flow increases, the friction pressure loss increases with the square of the flow increase. The required power to pump the water increases with the cube of the increased flow. The pipe in the coaches is 3/8" and 1/2". These are pretty limiting. A 1/2" will flow 3-4 gpm maximum before the velocity and friction rate just won't let you push more water through. 3/8" pipe is about 2.25 gpm max. bottom line, you probably could get a little more flow by paralleling pumps, but I think the end result will be only slightly noticeable.
Old 03-25-2023, 06:35 PM   #6

A lot of the problem is that most of our coaches are plumbed with a tree system design rather than a home run from a manifold to each device, thus you can only shove so much water through a small line. The biggest problem is volume-not pressure with the design we have plus all our fixtures hardly flow much at all regardless of pressure. I have a houseboat with a manifold system and we use a 110 volt Grundfos pump and it works awesome but I don't think we would get the same results in our RV with the same pump.
UMXHAULER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 01:08 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by osuallen View Post
@redbaron - As the flow increases, the friction pressure loss increases with the square of the flow increase. The required power to pump the water increases with the cube of the increased flow. The pipe in the coaches is 3/8" and 1/2". These are pretty limiting. A 1/2" will flow 3-4 gpm maximum before the velocity and friction rate just won't let you push more water through. 3/8" pipe is about 2.25 gpm max. bottom line, you probably could get a little more flow by paralleling pumps, but I think the end result will be only slightly noticeable.
Oh, you had to introduce facts and logic to my plans....Dang it.

Guess I will continue with the practice of one major water draw at a time.
Old 03-26-2023, 02:56 AM   #8

Similar discussion from a few months ago
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/quieter-water-pump-599068.html
Old 03-26-2023, 09:02 AM   #9

I'm actually looking at doing a double pump myself- one Remco Aquajet 5GPM to handle lower flow applications, with a backup high power pump (Everflo 5000) if the Aquajet can't keep the pressure up by itself.

The Headhunter pumps are just way too $$$$ for what they are, even if they're nice. They're also out of stock everywhere which bodes ill for replacement parts.
Suburbazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 09:37 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbazine View Post
I'm actually looking at doing a double pump myself- one Remco Aquajet 5GPM to handle lower flow applications, with a backup high power pump (Everflo 5000) if the Aquajet can't keep the pressure up by itself.

The Headhunter pumps are just way too $$$$ for what they are, even if they're nice. They're also out of stock everywhere which bodes ill for replacement parts.
Parallel or series? I would be interested In your results.
Old 03-26-2023, 10:43 AM   #11

Here’s a bit of a different opinion to your water flow problem. If your coach is like mine, it is plumed with PEX and a number of flexible lines with screw on fittings. If you remove one of those flexible hose fittings, you see that the opening inside the fitting is about 3/16” diameter. The ends of the flex hose fittings and the fittings that go inside the PEX hoses are what is restricting the water flow.
Increasing the water pressure from 45 psi to 90 psi will not double the water flow, although you will notice a difference in the shower, but if the washer comes on while taking a shower, you will notice.
If you put two pumps in parallel, the total pressure will still be the same but they will pump twice as much water at “0” psi.
The plumbing being done is the restriction point to water flow in current motor homes.
In my coach, there are single cold and hot water lines run to the rear bath, serving the washer, shower , two sinks and stool. They all have those 3/16” flexible hoses ends feeding them.
Makes it easy at the factory to put things together.
alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 10:50 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Parallel or series? I would be interested In your results.

Parallel pumps. Right now I can drop the line pressure to 25psi on one open tap and 15psi on two open taps. I'm hoping to be able to push pressure back up around the 40psi mark with 2 open taps.

I have just the Everflo by itself right now and it does not excel at low flow output smoothness.

Because the existing switched 12v is only 10 amps, I converted it to switched 120v and then use a 35 amp DC power supply in the wet bay.
Suburbazine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 10:55 AM   #13

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many 1/2" PEX fittings/ valves have RESTRICTIONS, i.e. ID on elbow= 3/8", where orifice on an open ball valve =1/4", so E.g. 5.0 gpm at 1/2"= 2.5gpm at 3/8 and 1.25 at 1/4". Add a restricted inline hose filter and cut another 50% to 0.62gpm.
BEST ADVICE is to always carry SPARE WATER FILTERS and change them first when you experience that sudden flow drop. You ae trying to get FLOW RATES from a system that is totally NOT designed for that. You need to live within design, or rip it out and try for 3/4" PEX to get a 1/2" ID CLEAR? Then the restrictions will be the hose, filter and faucet and city water supply. Hope this helps? OTOH, the flow rate of 1/2" copper is 7-gpm= empty a 25-gal tank in just over 3-minutes? (vs 3/8 flow rate is ONLY 2-GPM) (https://www.bing.com/search?EID=BHST...43&FORM=ANNTA1)
Old 03-26-2023, 05:20 PM   #14

If the pump is the reason you loose pressure during use, then two parallel pumps should fix that problem. If the hose restrictions are the issue, then it won't fix it. Is the pressure fine when you turn on the outlet and then falls off? that sounds like a pump.

How is the flow when connected to land line connection? Think of that as the unlimited scale pump. Double pumps should be similar.

But certainly you will use your fresh tank faster too.

Tags
pump, water, water pump