Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2017, 05:55 PM   #1
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Dumping air with Equalizer Systems Auto Level jacks

Everyone in the world but me may have known this, but there is a way to manually dump your air bags with this system. The HWH system has a button to do this, but the Equalizer Systems Auto Level unit does not.

My 2014 Ventana LE 3436 uses the Equalizer Systems Auto Level jack system that automatically dumps the air bags as it starts to extend the jacks. Sometimes, however, the bags don't get fully dumped before the leveling procedure begins.

So, to manually dump your air bags with this system, turn the coach ignition to the Accessory position and press the Power button on the Equalizer Systems panel. The LEDs will all light briefly, then most will go out. The Power and Ignition On LEDs will remain lighted.

Now, press the Auto Level button. As soon as you hear the system begin operating, press the Auto Level button again. The jacks will stop extending, but you will hear the air continuing to bleed off. When the air noise stops, press the All Retract button to return the jacks to their starting position. You cannot initiate another Auto Level cycle unless the jacks are returned to their starting position. Once the jacks are back in their starting position, a press of the Auto Level button will start a new cycle and level the coach.

I am finding that most of the time, letting the system automatically dump air and level the coach works fine. In some situations, however, where the parking site slopes downward toward the front of the coach, manually dumping the air bags before using the Auto Level procedure will get the coach leveled without raising the front wheels off the ground.

So, if everyone already knew this, just chalk it up to an old guy who's a slow learner.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2017, 06:07 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Thank you - great info for us!
bwaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:13 PM   #3
mre

I understand the dumping process. However, my coach requires that when leveling, that the engine must be running. When the engine runs, the compressor operates and the bags start to air up. Airing up is what I am trying to prevent when leveling. Does your coach operate the same way? Do you run the engine?
Old 10-26-2018, 12:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
I am finding that most of the time, letting the system automatically dump air and level the coach works fine. In some situations, however, where the parking site slopes downward toward the front of the coach, manually dumping the air bags before using the Auto Level procedure will get the coach leveled without raising the front wheels off the ground.

So, if everyone already knew this, just chalk it up to an old guy who's a slow learner.

TJ
When I was in the Branson area at the Ozark Resort on Table Rock a couple months ago, a guy there (a couple that help run the place and were super friendly/helpful -- it was my first week out with the new coach) was telling me that he'd found that if you wanted the coach as low to the ground as possible, to decrease the height of that first step, he found manually dumping (auto and then auto again, as you describe) and letting it completely dump the bags and then running auto, or in some cases manually leveling, would get it as low to the ground as possible.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:55 PM   #5
mre

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
When I was in the Branson area at the Ozark Resort on Table Rock a couple months ago, a guy there (a couple that help run the place and were super friendly/helpful -- it was my first week out with the new coach) was telling me that he'd found that if you wanted the coach as low to the ground as possible, to decrease the height of that first step, he found manually dumping (auto and then auto again, as you describe) and letting it completely dump the bags and then running auto, or in some cases manually leveling, would get it as low to the ground as possible.
My coach requires that the engine be running with operating the jacks. I guess my basic question is did you run the engine when Auto leveling? I my thought that running the engine will start to air up the compressor there by airing up the airbags. Did you do it this way?
Old 10-26-2018, 01:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mre View Post
My coach requires that the engine be running with operating the jacks. I guess my basic question is did you run the engine when Auto leveling? I my thought that running the engine will start to air up the compressor there by airing up the airbags. Did you do it this way?
My '19 doesn't require running the engine. My routine has been to park and shut off engine, go out and hook up power (sometimes sewer and water, but usually just power) to get air running. Then, run out slides (checking reveal while hooking up shore power) and then leveling.

For my coach, it's fine to just have the key in the on position, but with the engine off.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:38 PM   #7
mre

Quote:
My '19 doesn't require running the engine. My routine has been to park and shut off engine, go out and hook up power (sometimes sewer and water, but usually just power) to get air running. Then, run out slides (checking reveal while hooking up shore power) and then leveling.

For my coach, it's fine to just have the key in the on position, but with the engine off.
I ask my wife, and we both seem to remember the tech that gave us the walk-thru saying that the engine must be running when extending the levelers. We both agree that there was a lot of information that days and we have become confused.

I just reread the owner’s manuals. The Newmar owner’s manual says nothing either way about the engine running requirement when extending the levers.

On the other hand, the Equalizer owner’s manual says that the “ignition key must be in engine run or engine on position”.

So that solves it for me, the next time I will the air and extend the jacks in the engine on mode.

Thanks
Old 10-26-2018, 04:10 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 2017 Ventana 3436 with the Equalizer system. The jacks work fine with the ignition key in the "Accessory" position. I must admit that I did not know how to manually dump the air suspension before reading this thread. This will come in handy the next time we set up at the campground near my Sister-in-law's house in Clinton, MS. The asphalt slopes slightly downhill plus the Yazoo Clay in the area causes small mounds and valleys in the asphalt. This is the only place I have had to reposition the coach multiple times to minimize issues with the reveals on the FWS. Depending upon which site we are given, the Equalizer system wants to raise the front wheels off the ground when using Auto-Level.

Now, when getting ready to leave a site, I always start the engine to retract the jacks because I want the air system to come back to ride height pressure. Once the jacks are all the way up and the air system is fully pressurized, I turn off the engine and then go through the process to bring in the slides.

------- Jim
Geaux Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:26 PM   #9
TJ

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Location: Northwest Washington State or Western Montana, depending on the season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post
Now, when getting ready to leave a site, I always start the engine to retract the jacks because I want the air system to come back to ride height pressure. Once the jacks are all the way up and the air system is fully pressurized, I turn off the engine and then go through the process to bring in the slides.

------- Jim
Good procedure, Jim. Just be sure to let the air system come fully up to pressure before you pull the jacks up. You can usually hear the air system pop off (blow) when the system is fully aired up.

One other thing that has been discussed on another thread is to bring the slides in with the coach in the same configuration as it was when you extended them. So, if you need to use the jacks to get level and the reveal gaps even before extending the slides, then bring the slides back in when you are still on the jacks. If, OTOH, you extended them while just on the suspension and then leveled the coach, get the air pressure up and then bring the jacks up first, then retract in the slides.

It is all about keeping the reveals even and the slides from binding.

TJ
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaux Tigers View Post

------- Jim
I also start the engine and engage fast idle to bring the air up before retracting jacks and slides, but haven't been shutting the engine off before retracting. I might start doing so to reduce the idle time.
Old 10-26-2018, 06:15 PM   #11
mre

Quote:
I also start the engine and engage fast idle to bring the air up before retracting jacks and slides, but haven't been shutting the engine off before retracting. I might start doing so to reduce the idle time.
Old 10-27-2018, 08:52 AM   #12

Alarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by mre View Post
I thought I read somewhere on the forum that the alarms start sounding if you start the engine while jacks are down? I typically retract jacks, start engine to air up until it pops, shut engine down, retract slides. Disconnect power.

Sounds like I need to change my procedure to air up first.

Great info. Thanks!
sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil Jim View Post
Everyone in the world but me may have known this, but there is a way to manually dump your air bags with this system. The HWH system has a button to do this, but the Equalizer Systems Auto Level unit does not.

My 2014 Ventana LE 3436 uses the Equalizer Systems Auto Level jack system that automatically dumps the air bags as it starts to extend the jacks. Sometimes, however, the bags don't get fully dumped before the leveling procedure begins.

So, to manually dump your air bags with this system, turn the coach ignition to the Accessory position and press the Power button on the Equalizer Systems panel. The LEDs will all light briefly, then most will go out. The Power and Ignition On LEDs will remain lighted.

Now, press the Auto Level button. As soon as you hear the system begin operating, press the Auto Level button again. The jacks will stop extending, but you will hear the air continuing to bleed off. When the air noise stops, press the All Retract button to return the jacks to their starting position. You cannot initiate another Auto Level cycle unless the jacks are returned to their starting position. Once the jacks are back in their starting position, a press of the Auto Level button will start a new cycle and level the coach.

TJ
Wow, I have been looking for this solution for a whole year! Thank you for posting!

We have been on a couple sites this year that were not very level. To keep from pulling the front wheels off the ground I first drove up on some wood blocks then manually leveled.

Generally speaking we are seldom leveled as low as most larger DP coaches. We almost always use a portable aluminum step outside because our final step stays about 10" to 11" off the ground when it should average about 7" to 8". I'm thinking by using this method and dumping all the air we will bring our steps down much further.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:16 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure if I have an issue or not, but even after doing the auto level trick, it appears to me that the front bags don't have the delta in height the rear ones create. I remember reading a lot about 'don't turn the wheel with bags dumped' but on my coach there seems to be plenty of room above front tires. I had dealer check this and was told the ride height was correct, according to Newmar, they too were a little surprised the height after dumping. Someday I will take pictures and send to Newmar, but other than step being a little high, there doesn't seem to be an issue.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, ems, jacks