Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2016, 11:52 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Durability question

As I continue to work through the process I have ghis next question frame chassis and suspension durability. We expect to be driving 40,000 miles per year for the next 3-5 years. Is there a difference between the durability of the chassis between thd 43' Dutch Star and a comprable Mountain Aire?
Thanks Al
2014-3585RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2016, 12:19 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Probably not. Our '02 Dutch Star was very reliable and we really had no trouble with the chassis (Spartan).
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:42 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I agree with Mr_D. The MA has a larger/heavier chassis than the DS, but carries more weight. The automotive part of a coach is just about bullet proof. If the coach is to get you from point "A" to point "B" over interstate highways, whatever your choice, consider eliminating the chassis and its' components from your list of things to worry about.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:26 AM   #4

Wow! 40,000 miles per year. That's not going to leave you much time to see anything except maybe truck stops when you fill.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:28 AM   #5

If your coming out of a 10 or 12" I-beam Lippert frame from a towable, it will be the difference between night and day when you talk about durability.

Either pusher unit will be well made.

Tell us a little bit more about what your looking at......
Old 03-28-2016, 05:42 AM   #6

40K? Whew!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:43 AM   #7

One issue when one drives like 40K a year is to make sure to lub. drive shaft. It can be a little work on tag axle coaches but Spartan at the last FMCA seminar is suggesting every 5K miles on drive line. We have been traveling 25K miles for the last 4 years on our Essex and I am now caring a grease gun with me when we go to Alaska and other 10K trips. Last time at Spartan there was coach in with 1500$ of drive shaft repairs.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:22 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Instead of flying for work we drive to venues usually for 2 day classes. Hence the 40 k.we have been at wieght capacity on Bighorn. Because the DS only has 5 k in cargo capacity i am concerned with it being at max capacity most of the time. Our 14 ram is now at 95000 and having some issues though gcvw is 9500 under max. We must be able to depend on our unit. Yes they get regular services still heavy duty use on light duty equipment.
We want the right tool for our what we do.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #9

How much CCC do you need?

If your driving that much then consider a tag axle and I would recommend Comfort Drive. That will allow lots of CCC and give you a nice stable ride for those long drives.

I had a Landmark before and you can say goodbye to chucking and the rough ride from your 3500 Ram when its empty. Its a great truck but its like comparing apples and oranges. Two totally different ways to travel. Each with pro's and con's.

If you have a model or year in mind then others on the forum can give you specific coach information.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Because we want this longterm (5+ years) my original thought was DS 4369 or similair in MA.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:09 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Adam mind listing out your biggest pro/con list. I am a retired truck driver so size has some bearing for local traffic mor turning radius with a 24' car hualer behind.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:27 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Hi 2014-3585RL,
Based on your posts, consider the MADP. The NCC is between 9-10K. It depends on the chassis and model chosen. You will need to visit the Newmar plant or a dealer with the floor plan you are considering. Pay careful attention to the basement storage compartments. If possible see if you can get the axle weights as the coach comes from the factory. This will provide a good idea of where cargo should be placed, in the basement. All this will help with your decision.

Turning should not be a problem. The pivot point is different for a coach and a truck. The trailer will cut inside the rear drive axle, but not by much. This is because the trailer will swing to the opposite direction of the turn before it begins to follow the coach.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 01:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014-3585RL View Post
Adam mind listing out your biggest pro/con list. I am a retired truck driver so size has some bearing for local traffic mor turning radius with a 24' car hualer behind.

Well we now know what your hauling now.
So even in a 45' unit with a 24' trailer and tongue you will still be under legal length limits. We tow a 1/2 ton Supercrew and most of them are @ 20 + feet long and its no issue. Your length is not an issue with your configuration.
I will assume that your car hauler is not empty so now you should even take a longer look at a tag axle for towing. The ride and stability will pay for itself tenfold with a heavy(ier) type trailer behind.
As far as handling, don't worry about that with your previous experience. You do lose the articulation of a FifthWheel but with tag release or even passive tag steering on newer units there is lots of technology to make the job a little easier.

As far as pro/cons go, I hesitate to put my list down....as it will be different from yours and the next posters and so on and so on. And by no means is this meant to take away from all of the RV'ers that have awesome truck/5Wheel set-ups. So my list will obviously point towards the benefits of a motorcoach.
But that being said some of the obvious items that come up are things like;
1. The coach will not be a lot more to maintain from a "regular" service standpoint than your 1 ton P/U. Do as much service as you can yourself and allow a fund for tires and scheduled chassis service.
2. Your ride and enroute luxury items go up. Way up. Like the ability to pull into a rest stop and have all of your services available. No getting out for food, washroom, etc. (really handy when you have pets or children) Same rules apply if you pull into a resort or campsite late at night or in inclement weather. Set-up is way easier and a lot less levelling, unhooking and blocking. You have a lot more flexibility. You will lose floor space in the motorhome as a Fifthwheel is much better for long term set-ups IMHO.
3. I have had a F450 and Ram 3500 combo's pulling average FifthWheels like Heartlands Cyclone toyhaulers or the Landmark. The trucks are awesome but you will not get the same ride like that on a airbag chassis. Period.
Pulling, stopping is much easier in a properly loaded and equipped motorhome. Keep in mind you lose the benefits of having a nice truck but if you need one that bad both of the above can be set up for flat-towing....
4. Durability. Unless your looking at New Horizons or Space Craft FifthWheels your stepping into a "commercial" grade chassis when you pick the right motorhome. Now please don't take what I just said the wrong way and I will start by saying not all motorhomes are created equal either. Some are terrible, some are good, some are great and some are Prevost - You get the idea. There is something for every budget. But I wonder how your Lippert framed Heartland has stood up to 40,000 mi a year?? You see what I'm saying? After years in the trucking business you know what quality and reliability means.

I could go on and on. And I'm sure others will add more points of interest. The 4369 is a popular floor plan and other owners will comment I'm sure.

Thanks
Adam
Old 03-29-2016, 10:28 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks,
When we started this we really didn't check into items like durability like I should have. I expected this 5er to last 6 or 7 years. ( ok that was a good laugh). 2 years into using for work and opps we might have been in error. Time for it to retire and see 4-5 uses per year like most see.
Hence this time more questioning, what is the mark up? Can we expect the whole unit to go 300k and still be dependable? House and chassis? Good maintnance a given. Other issues of using a towbar vs the car hauler part of the time.
What is a reasonable expecred price on a 15 MADP VS16 MADP? At the rate we are learning 2017 units could we forth coming.
Thank you for the input any additional from all is appreviated
Al