Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #57

Newmar Owners Club
Ernie

Want to get my floor done by someone in Florida this Winter when I get down from Canada......any recommendation on a specialty shop that does good work for a fair price $$$ ??
Thanks for your expertise !
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2012, 06:13 AM   #58

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
Renden: Unless you can find a fella like me, those specialty shops will charge you megga bucks- and then they want to remove the slides. You won't be able to stay in your coach, which equals more bucks for motels, etc. On your way back north next spring, stop by Weatherford, Tx, and I can fix you up.
I know of Parliament, Coachworks, and maybe a couple others that do flooring.
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
Renden: Unless you can find a fella like me, those specialty shops will charge you megga bucks- and then they want to remove the slides. You won't be able to stay in your coach, which equals more bucks for motels, etc. On your way back north next spring, stop by Weatherford, Tx, and I can fix you up.
I know of Parliament, Coachworks, and maybe a couple others that do flooring.
Ernie, thanks for the offer

Have you heard from this business ? in St Pete
RV Window Experts for RV Window Repair
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:49 PM   #60

Although I have not heard about them, I did go to their website. They stated owners are welcome to come by and check on their work- which actually says- stay in your motel rool, not in your coach. Your choice- your money. I do the same work- and you get to stay in your coach. And probably save you some cash that you can spend for diesel. I go by my reputation.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:20 PM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adehaan86 View Post
HDBiker Dave how does that work with the flooring the slide out? Is there rollers on the slide out to glide over the floor? I would love to replace flooring but unsure of how to do it around the slide out.
Yes there are 4 - 91/2" white rollers, you angle what ever floor you are putting down so the rollers will roll up and over the new floor, also pry the metal roller pad up to get the new flooring under the metal pad.
HDBiker Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:08 PM   #62

we should start a new thread- on flooring 101
I may do that tomorrow. If I don't get to do your floors- I can give advice so you don't get ripped off.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:17 PM   #63

That would please a lot of members including me. I subscribe to all the threads on flooring I have come accross and plan to do ours next Spring.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:39 PM   #64

Is that a floating floor?..... it nosier in the coach, any creak or squeaks ? and what did you do around the edge of the wall??

we're going to replace ours, but worried about it expanding and hitting up against the wall (which would not be good, because the walls are little more than paper covered cardboard).
Jon Mopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 05:41 AM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Most floors I have seen on floating floors have a 1/4" gap around perimeter of floor and covered with dress molding around it.
The floors have a foam backing or underlay foam sheeting to cut down on squeaks.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:26 AM   #66

Fleetwood Owners Club
Flooring 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
we should start a new thread- on flooring 101
I may do that tomorrow. If I don't get to do your floors- I can give advice so you don't get ripped off.
I will be interested in your posts. I have a fleetwood Excursion I think my slides have guides instead of rollers. Is this a problem with wood or other type flooring. I would love to get rid of my carpet.
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 04:25 PM   #67

A new thread?

I would be happy to start a new thread. Perhaps 007 Moderator could guide us where to place that. I work on all kinds of coaches- even some travel trailers. I can give advice on your purchase, etc. If you want me to install it, that can be arranged, privately. I'm not out to solicit a bunch of work, though. At 65- next month, I have been 41 years in the business. I did an Excursion in Feb. Ernie- traveling, on my way to a rally at Pine Mountain, Ga
Old 10-18-2012, 07:52 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ernie this post is in Quick Tips # 3 and every time we post it will appear in the Google web site, we have picked up many members from all forum MFG's so anything added here would be pretty well exposed.
You could start a new thread in the MOTOR HOME FORUMS---General Discussion but because of the speed that forum moves with new threads it may get lost into 2nd page or what ever.
It seems that this thread has many on it and different MH groups I have no problem leaving where it is its up to you.
The Thread where ever it is will be getting long by just the interest members are showing in this one.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:23 PM   #69

Flooring 101

To start off- lets talk about the actual wood floor. All coach manufacturers use a few different mediums. Some use OSB, some plywood, some a vacuu-bond plywood/styrofoam. Some have a thin piece of metal on the bottom under the plywood. I have seen OSB in 30 foot lengths. Fortunately, particle board has come and gone. Particle board is a great material- if it never gets wet. In our coaches- that is a crap shoot. Getting wet floors will happen. I just read someone flooding their gray water tank and it came up the shower. Of course- when my gray tank is full -the shower won't drain.
So if anyone has any thoughts about flooring- or questions, lets hear about it. Ernie
Old 10-19-2012, 06:23 PM   #70

Thanks for the offer Ernie. To begin, am I correct to assume I have particle board in my 2004 Mountain Aire? I have the wood laminate upgrade and was wondering if it was installed over lenoleum. I have lenoleum on the floor inside the lower cabinets. If the laminate is glued on the particle board how do I remove it under the cabinets?