Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2014, 07:48 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dutch Star 4381 in Production

I just had the pleasure of spending a few days in Nappanee witnessing the build of my Dutch Star 4381. I have seen some folks asking if it is possible to see their coach in production, and others have asked how the process works, so I thought it might be helpful to share my experience.

Although it was a long drive to Nappanee from Houston, it was well worth the trip. I couldn’t imagine placing an order for something I had been researching and planning for the past year and not taking the opportunity to see how it is built. It was a fantastic experience, or as Deek would so eloquently put it … it was a hoot!

Newmar doesn’t give you free access to the production shop (building 7), you are able to see your coach during the scheduled factory tours. Photography is not permitted on the tour but if you have a unit in production, you are allowed to take all the photos you like of your unit only. Unfortunately, the tour schedule is reduced to only one tour a day (10 am) from November 1st until March 31st but I found that was sufficient to watch and document the process. I was able to spend about an hour each day watching the progress of my Dutch Star on the line.

There is no access to witness the chassis prep prior to building 7 assembly nor are you able to watch your coach while in the paint shop but the production shop is going to be of most interest to most.

It was also unfortunate that my unit went into building 7 on the 26th of November, the day before the 4 day Thanksgiving shut down so it was most practical for me to arrive on Sunday and watch the last 3 days in the shop. By the time I caught up with my coach at 10:15 on Monday morning, they were installing insulation in the exterior walls and prepping for side wall installation, things move fast on the shop floor ... they have this down to a science.

On day two I was able to get up inside the unit while they were preparing for slide installation and I had a good look at wiring and plumbing runs and the “bones” of the coach. By Wednesday morning the coach was almost fully assembled and I was able to see how the finished product would look. It was a hive of activity inside and outside of the coach with techs testing plumbing and electrical systems, finishing carpentry, setting up the A/V system and generally checking to make sure nothing had been missed.

It’s amazing to see a machine of this complexity go through full assembly in only 4 days. The shop technicians are very skilled and focused on getting the job done right the first time, I was very impressed with their work ethic and attention to detail, what a first class operation. You have a lot of confidence that your new motorhome is being built to the highest of industry standards when you leave at the end of your build.

This is something I would highly recommend to anyone going through the order process, so pleased that I had the opportunity to witness this. I ordered my unit on September 5th so there has been a long wait to this point but it's exciting to know that delivery is right around the corner.

Here is a link to photos from the three days on the shop floor.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/129965...7649654591272/
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Congrats on a great coach.
Thanks for the info and the pictures.
We ordered Oct 8th
Told our build date would be last of Jan or first of Feb.
Was 3 days about right to watch it being built?
lrose44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:14 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrose44 View Post
Congrats on a great coach.
Thanks for the info and the pictures.
We ordered Oct 8th
Told our build date would be last of Jan or first of Feb.
Was 3 days about right to watch it being built?
Thanks Len.

I would have done all 4 days if my scheduled hadn't been broken by the holiday plant shut down. I say plan for all 4 days if you can swing it ... it really is a great experience! Good luck with your build, hope the time passes quickly.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:20 PM   #4

Great pics! Thanks for the tour. I'm hoping I will be able to see ours come down the line. I'm kind of a nuts & bolts guy and only being able to spend a hour is going to be a challenge!
Old 12-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #5

Slick, Great and exciting all in 3 days. After seeing all that I 'm sure you wanted to take it home! Are you going to to take a factory delivery?
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:07 PM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Looks like it'll be a great coach...and you did document it well. Now when you get a short in the wiring you'll be able to tear a hole in the wall and fix it! . Congrats!
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
Looks like it'll be a great coach...and you did document it well. . Congrats!
2X!! Slabman has it right on again!

But as to the documenting part ... you just have to know that we all LOVE to see pics, pics and more pics. Please be sure to keep us up to date with pics of your beauty when your date for factory delivery arrives. And thanks for the ones you sent.

You are both going to be very happy campers -- gorgeous floor plan, colors and fabrics and options on your coach.

If you miss coming to Hoots III, I will be haunting you!

Deek
”Deek” / FMCA #363986
2023 Winnebago View 24D Bay Mist II
What a Hoot!
Deek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:45 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am actually not going to take the factory delivery option. If you had asked me 6 months ago, I wouldn't have considered anything else, I had read so many positive posts on this site regarding the great experience it has been for anyone who had taken that route. But ...

I have, what I believe to be, a well thought out logistics plan for my delivery primarily driven by the fact that I go straight from delivery to HWH in Iowa for the installation of an Active Air system. I purchased my coach from Coachlight RV in Carthage MO and I've heard very good things about their delivery process so I decided to take that route. I plan on spending 6 days at Coachlight with several day trips during this process (including a trip to Cummins in Kansas City to install the coach end of my M&G brake system). I feel confident that by the time I depart the dealership we'll have things in good working order and perhaps the 475 mile trip to HWH will identify other issues that will need to be addressed. If I have any major issues that require factory attention I'll be only 300 miles to Nappanee, if not, I'll head towards Houston and stop at Coachlight on the way south.

I'm hoping this is a good plan and works the way I am anticipating! (wish me luck )

I still think that the factory delivery option is a great way to go but this time it made sense to do delivery through the dealership.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks Scott for the write up and pictures will add thread to the 2015 group of new comers in QT's # 3.

Great Pictures
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:00 PM   #10

Sounds like a good plan and a good dealership. Are there any options for HWH system or is it as described on there Web Page? How long does it take and what is the cost? How does is compare to a Hadley System? I know the Hadley system can not be retrofitted.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #11

This is my favorite floor plan. This is a coach you can use on the road leaving the slides in. Which dining set did you order? Congratulations!
Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #12

Congrats! We were also impressed with the factory and the fact that it doesn't matter what level of coach it is, they are all treated the same way with the attention to detail on the line.

Thanks for the pics! I can't wait to see the finished coach.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:14 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everyone ... we're getting pretty fired up with our delivery so close now!

Deek, I have my calendar marked and hoping that things will work out and we can attend Hoots III. If you recall we stayed home for the birth of our granddaughter this year and what an incredible joy she has been. But, Nana says she wants to be home for her first birthday so I'm hoping Hoots III is not too close to September 18th.

Slabman, I took waaaaaaaay more pics than that but I would have bored you all to tears with many of them!

Canuck53, the Active Air system is as described on their web page, no options to pick from. The only OEM that factory installs Active Air is Foretravel who put it in their IH45 coach. So, the only way to get the system, other than to purchase the IH45, is to have the installation done at the HWH facility in Moscow Iowa, and I might add not the best place to be in January. It takes a week to install, arrive Sunday night, into the shop first thing Monday morning and if all goes as planned you will be done by the end of the day Friday. Cost for a single axle coach is $8,900 and a tag axle installation is $9,400 ... with tax is right at $10,000. I can't make a comparison to the Hadley system as I'm not familiar with it. I can say that I had Active Air installed in my Ventana LE and it made a world of difference in the ride and handling, it was an amazing improvement. I also really like the air leveling capability. After experiencing the system on the Ventana I decided I wouldn't own another coach without installing it. It's costly but does exactly what they say it will do. There are threads by Redbaron73 who had it installed in his 2013 Dutch Star which you should read as well, he's done a great job of documenting his experience with the system. Plus, as a bonus you get to walk around under your coach for 5 days and get lots of photos of things you would not otherwise ever see!

Corvette, thanks, we had a long list of things that just really worked for us with this floor plan. One of the great reasons for buying Newmar, there really is a great floor plan for almost everyone. We decided on the standard dinette, didn't really need the additional storage afforded by the buffet as we aren't FT, and we're hoping the small profile gives us a more spacious feel in the living area.

Karen makes a great point, all of Newmar's product is built on the same line, you will have a King Aire, then a Baystar, then a Dutch Star come down the line and it's great to know that the same people are doing the same quality work on every model they build ... very impressive.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:40 PM   #14

Scott, a big Congrats on the DS build. Know you had what seemed a long wait but now it's soon to be delivered. What you and Lise special ordered will be much enjoyed. Your new Jeep Rubicon is going to look great behind the coach.

Looking forward to getting our personal coach tour.
osok is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star