Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-19-2015, 05:53 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Dutch Star auto gen setup

We are going to deliver our 2015 DS (all electric) to a Newmare dealership for some warranty work. They will order the parts after they analyze the problem. Probably be there a week or so. Planning to turn off refrigerator. How difficult is it to set the gen to auto start and should the refrigerator be kept on?
rg neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2015, 08:14 AM   #2

I'd personally tell them to keep it plugged in. But, if you want to burn some diesel, all you have to do is set the auto start parameters on the Magnum unit and enable the AGS feature. We travel with dogs, so at RV parks , if they have a power outage,I have it set to come on at a preset temperature to fire up the AC units. In you situation, you will want to set it to start at a predetermined voltage - probably around 12 volts,+/-
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 08:57 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanJH View Post
I'd personally tell them to keep it plugged in
Agree.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:26 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If they can keep it plugged in, that would be the best. If they can't, make sure they know that the AGS is on for a couple of reasons. One, if it's stored inside, that could be an issue. It can also scare the crap out of someone working on it.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:34 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Our dealer will plug it in and put a 8 x 11 sign in the windshield telling that there is food in the refrigerator
Old 08-19-2015, 07:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kend51 View Post
Our dealer will plug it in and put a 8 x 11 sign in the windshield telling that there is food in the refrigerator
Is that an invite??
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:19 AM   #7

The magnum book recommends 11 to 11.5 volts, I set mine at 11.3volts and a run time of 3 hours on the recharge, do not know if the recharge time is ok. I have 6 house batteries but have never done the math. We only leave the refrig and a small fan running when gone for a day or more. Off subject but just got mine out of the shop and learned the number one cause of transfer switch failures are loose terminal screws/nuts, so now when I service the batteries I tighten the screws if loose. Good Luck

Tags
dutch star