Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Dutch Star generator opening

I sent this email to customer service. Thought I would share, and encourage others who suffer with this issue to voice their concerns.

“I had the opportunity last night to open the front of my RV to get at the generator. I would like for one of the engineers to open that front hatch, at night. There is a light in there, but try to reach it while holding up that front cover. Then try to find the hole where that peg from the Support arm goes, in the dark.
I would be interested to see if they have any suggestions.”
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2017, 10:41 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
There are many varieties of 'headlamp' type flashlights that you can strap on your head, clip to the bill of a ball cap, etc. You can even use rubber bands to put a penlight on your wrist to illuminate where your hand is pointing. Not sure an RV manufacturer needs to light every part of the RV you may wish to access in the dark.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:50 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
I have hard time with if during day time. Never mind at night🤣. But I have a headband light if I ever need it.
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:18 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
You could also mark the hole for the support rod with white paint, nail polish, or white vinyl tape to help find the spot for the peg. These are all solvable problems.

Bob & Donna
Old 11-11-2017, 11:26 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
There are many varieties of 'headlamp' type flashlights that you can strap on your head, clip to the bill of a ball cap, etc. You can even use rubber bands to put a penlight on your wrist to illuminate where your hand is pointing. Not sure an RV manufacturer needs to light every part of the RV you may wish to access in the dark.
With all due respect, with nearly a half million dollar coach, yes they do.

Customer service tells me that are not hearing complaints, so that's why I'm reaching out.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:45 AM   #6

Generator hood

As some other people on this forum have suggested, you can install gas filled struts like the ones on the engine cover. Check out Dutch Star Don's mod: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/dutc...ed-211095.html
It would be nice if Newmar would install the struts to start with.
Webz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:52 AM   #7

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Just don't open it at night !
Old 11-11-2017, 12:52 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Dutch star generator opening

The automotive industry figured this out 40 years ago and installed lights that turn off when in level position and light when the hood was opened. Mercury switch’s
I do like the idea of painting the support rod retaining area with bright/fluorescent paint. I agree with Bill that at a very minimum there should be an auto light at this level MH.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 01:03 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
I find it keeps me busy and sharp finding solutions to problems like this. I problem-solve and develop solutions. Improving my home and RV give bragging rights and allow me to show off these gadgets when people visit. Dutch Star Don didn't ask the manufacturer to correct the problem, he did it himself.

A 'half-million dollar coach' would cause twice as much if every little problem was solved before purchase.

Bob & Donna
Old 11-11-2017, 07:39 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Apparently my post was not clear. I am asking those who have a recent Newmar product with the generator door with the rod bracket, and are unhappy about its clumsiness, to let Newmar know.
Thank you for all the suggestions, I’m just trying to improve the product for future purchasers. Unless Newmar is aware, they won’t change anything. That is what Newmar customer service has told me.
Unless you have this item and have the daily struggle, you probably won’t understand.
Old 11-11-2017, 08:50 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Dutch star generator opening

Well, BB, I don't have a new- or newer- Dutch Star, but I do have a 16 year old one. This means that I too have a manually operated support rod and a light fixture that is not obviously placed.
I am not nearly clever enough to afford a half-million dollar coach. I am just barely clever enough to carry a flashlight of some sort with me when poking around outside my far less expensive coach in the dark. [emoji6]
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Well, BB, I don't have a new- or newer- Dutch Star, but I do have a 16 year old one. This means that I too have a manually operated support rod and a light fixture that is not obviously placed.
I am not nearly clever enough to afford a half-million dollar coach. I am just barely clever enough to carry a flashlight of some sort with me when poking around outside my far less expensive coach in the dark. [emoji6]
Sorry I offended you.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:45 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I've found that a headband LED light is extremely important. Even rooting around in the basement you can't always see what you need to, even with the lights on but the head mount does the trick. Better to light a candle then curse the darkness.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:47 PM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"BBelanger"......I think this was both a good and important post. Like you said, something like adding pistons to hood is something Newmar should look at. Personally, I was disappointed that the generator didn't slide out like my Diplomat did, and then was further disappointed by the fact they used a stupid rod like they did on cars in 70's.

I do projects on my coach for both bragging rights and it's the hot rod I never had. With that said, we would like to buy another Dutch Star and custom order it this time with factory delivery. It would be nice if something simple like the hood struts was something they added to their design so that I wouldn't have to do the project again. I'm getting older and just don't have the same enthusiasm to do projects.

There are a couple of things that would prevent me from buying another Dutch Star. One was the poor paint work (lack of clear coat) and the other was the way the front door closes. Personally, I think my complaining to Newmar about their crappy paint along with some others had some impact on them stepping up their paint work at the Dutch Star level. My next coach will be a factory delivery and I won't move it an inch until the front door is absolutely perfect.

I know many have had issues with the HDMI cables not staying connected and part of a hugely cluttered cabinet. I now see them using a different system and getting it out of the overhead cabinet. Someone had to complain enough that this was finally improved.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, dutch star