Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2018, 08:20 AM   #1

Smile Dutch Star Questions

I am going to buy a new 3736 or 4018. They are both basically the same floor plan and are close in price. The 4 foot difference gets a king bed, another cabinet in the kitchen and a place to put a drink between two recliners. We really could live with either.

So it’s down to driving and drivability. The 40 has the steerable tag Axel. Is it easier to drive with the extra wheels. We only had 30 minuets behind the wheel so input would be appreciated. This is our first RV and are hoping to get it right the first time.

We drove the 4369 and my wife felt that was too long. She couldn’t see the back when she turned. I have read that the tag axel adds stability to the ride.

The other question is which chassis. FL or Spartan. Any ideas which is better and why.

Thanks for your input
Rv4Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2018, 08:27 AM   #2

Tag axle will improve handling. Personally I would pick Spartan if you have a choice.

Once you have driven the coach for awhile you really won't notice the length.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:40 AM   #3

Dutch Star 3736

We own a 2015 Dutch Star 3736. We downsized from a SOB 42’ and still had more room to put our stuff. Plenty of room for wife, me, dog and cat. The Cummins 450 has no problem towing our Grand Cherokee and carrying a full load. The couch has a bed so when grandkids come with us we have the room. One of them likes sleeping on an air mattress in bedroom floor and there is room, but every now and then you have to deflate it or prop it up to get around.
In 2016 Newmar came out with pantry, so you will have plenty of storage space in kitchen area.
Are you going to have them build you one or buy off lot?
If building one, then there are many options you can order. Like free standing table, non motorized shades, colors and fabrics, paint, there is a lot of stuff you can do. Also, 6 tires on 3736 versus 8 tires on 40 footers and up.
40 footers and up give you more room and bed space for the kids and grandkids.
Lots to think about and take in and a lot more opinions coming your way. Good luck.
Spirit2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:52 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
we struggled with the same issue, The deciding factor for us was handling in strong winds. When we took both coaches for a test drive, we had winds of upwards of 40mph here in Phoenix. The tag axle made a significant difference in handling those conditions. Don't get me wrong, the smaller coach still handled better than any other Class A we had driven before. Unless you plan on camping lots of time in state and national parks I would go for the 4018.
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:27 AM   #5

Agree with the others we have a 17 DS4369. Handles very well and tag axle takes part of glory. I CAN see the rear of coach in a turn. Spartan over Freightliner easily.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:41 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
we struggled with the same issue, The deciding factor for us was handling in strong winds. When we took both coaches for a test drive, we had winds of upwards of 40mph here in Phoenix. The tag axle made a significant difference in handling those conditions. Don't get me wrong, the smaller coach still handled better than any other Class A we had driven before. Unless you plan on camping lots of time in state and national parks I would go for the 4018.
If the 37' floor plan is better for you, you could have the HWH Active Air system added and it will drive like it has a tag axle. My first coach was a 39' Ventana LE, I didn't enjoy driving that coach above about 62-63 mph, I didn't feel I was in full control above that speed. I added Active Air to that coach and there was an amazing difference in handling, so much so it was hard to believe, it didn't feel like the same motorhome.
SWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 01:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWag View Post
If the 37' floor plan is better for you, you could have the HWH Active Air system added and it will drive like it has a tag axle. My first coach was a 39' Ventana LE, I didn't enjoy driving that coach above about 62-63 mph, I didn't feel I was in full control above that speed. I added Active Air to that coach and there was an amazing difference in handling, so much so it was hard to believe, it didn't feel like the same motorhome.
Do you know what years and/or Newmar models they install active air on? I'm looking at a couple 2015 preowned Newmar dutch stars.
kpecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 02:10 PM   #8

HWH Active Air is an add on done at the HWH factory. Not available on a any of the coaches direct from the factory.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 03:05 PM   #9

Newmar does not install Active Air on DS. Only installed at HWH.
Canuck53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 05:17 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
You should also look at outside storage between the models, going from a 40 to a 43 is a substantial increase in storage, along with 50 more gallons of fuel. Look at them from all angles. Oh and Spartan if you go 40 or more...good luck
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:41 PM   #11

We have a 43' Ventana tag axle and our previous coach was a 40' single rear axle, both Newmar's. Our steerable tag axle steers much better in tight places and corners than the 40'. The ride on the tag axle is much smoother and better in all ways. Hands down go tag axle if you can make it work. Also you don't even notice the length of the coach because they are all big! With a steerable tag, getting a 43' isn't an issue because it handles better than a shorter coach and in all driving conditions. Plus it has much more storage. Don't rule it out is all I'm saying.
snowhawk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:44 PM   #12

I don’t believe the 37’ DS comes with the Spartan option. 40’ does.
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:46 PM   #13

To get the better Spartan Chassis you need to have a 40 foot or longer coach. The Spartan chassis has disc brakes on the drive axle which the FL doesn't. The chassis has a thicker frame and supports then the other chassis. Plus a 40 feet and up you get the tag axle for a better ride, carrying capacity and braking.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:44 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
HWH Active Air is an add on done at the HWH factory. Not available on a any of the coaches direct from the factory.
I’m new here so don’t laugh. On the link about abbreviations is say HWH is hot water heater but that doesn’t fit. So what is HWH?
Rv4Travel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star