Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2016, 10:03 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Dutch Star saggy ceiling

I have a 2000 DSDP with a sagging ceiling. I have heard lots of owners of coaches that have experienced this. Has anyone come up with a fix? I was thinking about putting a uniformed pattern of screws in ceiling but I'm not sure if there's enough material in ceiling to bite into without driving screws through roof.
If I can do this , I was going to use upholstered buttons so the appearance will be look nice and have a factory look. Again, any comments on repairing ceiling sag, would be appreciated.
ARFFMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 11:10 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARFFMAN View Post
I have a 2000 DSDP with a sagging ceiling. I have heard lots of owners of coaches that have experienced this. Has anyone come up with a fix? I was thinking about putting a uniformed pattern of screws in ceiling but I'm not sure if there's enough material in ceiling to bite into without driving screws through roof.
If I can do this , I was going to use upholstered buttons so the appearance will be look nice and have a factory look. Again, any comments on repairing ceiling sag, would be appreciated.
If you have ceiling lights you can pop them out to see what space and material you have between the ceiling and roof. The picture below is of a 2016 Dutch Star aluminum roof structure before the insulation and fiberglass roof was installed. I do know that this structure was similar in 2012. Not sure how it was done in 2000.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender (2).jpg
Views:	303
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	134665  
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 04:55 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The ceiling panels are attached to the metal studs 16" on center, as said drop a florescent light to see.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:04 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You may have a water leak that has let the glue unbond or saturated the ceiling backing.
Never had a problem with either of our Dutch Stars.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:21 PM   #5
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:

I'd check for a possible water leak first. Seems odd that the ceiling would sag on its own.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:55 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Does the 2000 Dutch Stars have aluminum bracing to attach the ceiling?
Old 08-03-2016, 10:18 PM   #7

The sagging ceilings are caused by rainwater/(roof leaking) puddling in the area shown in the photo (this area is brown because it's brown paper that is glue to the foam ceiling material). The ceiling material comes to Newmar in large sheets, and it consists of a sheet of brown paper, then the foam, then a thin plywood. Here's the big part of the problem,.... these fitted ceiling sheets are glued to the aluminum trusses with Sika grey(that's what Newmar calls it). But, it really is glued to the paper, which releases its bond to the foam not too long after it gets wet. And, you truly have a big mess on your hands. Beware, if you find a way to access the problem area, and if you can scrape the ruined-paper pieces and the old adhesive from the aluminum trusses, DO NOT USE the factory Sika Grey adhesive, because it does not stick to the bare foam!
I'll post the names of the 3 adhesives that will/might work later (I have to search for them).
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:20 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes all Newmar coach's have the metal studding and as said you should check roof for soft spots or even check the drain holes for AC's and make sure water is draining onto roof.
Water build up in drain pan will blow into your ceiling duct system by fans and leak onto your ceiling panels.
Old 08-05-2016, 10:13 AM   #9

To be clear, my information pertains to ceilings which have been exposed to excessive water intrusion from above. Once the paper layer gets too wet too many times, the factory method of holding the ceiling to the aluminum trusses fails. The factory adhesive is applied to the bottom of the aluminum trusses and to the top layer(which is paper) of the ceiling composite. When the paper gets too wet, it separates from the foam-insulation layer of the ceiling composite, and thus the droopy/sagging ceilings.
Be aware, most adhesive will "melt" the foam instead of serving as a suitable adhesive. So, if you attempt to re-attach the ceiling using the factory adhesive (Sika grey), it will not work on bare foam.
These 3 adhesives will work on bare foam:
Loctite Clear Power Grab all purpose interior construction adhesive
Gorilla Heavy Duty Construction Adhesive (9 oz cartridge)
Glidden Griper white primer & sealer
I used the Gorilla mostly because it comes in a cartridge which fits into caulking guns.
The bad news is that most ceilings can not be accessed. I had special-ordered my motorhome, with multiple Halogen ceiling lights AND Surround Sound (large speakers mounted in the ceiling). I made long 3/8" copper tubing nozzles in order to get to all the areas required. I also had to come up with light-duty long jacks for holding the ceiling up during the drying process.
I suggest contacting the factory. They might have a trick method of fixing the problem. When they do it, they might remove the roof for full access. I've always been curious how they do it. Good Luck
Cloud Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 09:08 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
Ceiling in Dutch Star

Thanks for all the advice. I accessed the ceiling by pulling all the lights and A/C vents. I spent a lot of time looking for water damage and could not find any. I reattached the ceiling by installing 1.5 inch screws with upholstered buttons. Thanks again.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:36 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice. I accessed the ceiling by pulling all the lights and A/C vents. I spent a lot of time looking for water damage and could not find any. I reattached the ceiling by installing 1.5 inch screws with upholstered buttons. Thanks again.
Do you have photos? I have one panel saging. No apprarance of water. Kind of wondering if cabinet is pulling mine down.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oldboots, I think this is only one thread we had another that got a new panel from Newmar and some detailed instructions with pictures, not sure its in PROBLEM SOLVERS in QT's # 3 or not, I saved someplace, if not we can do a search in the new search engine.
Also for your use all the links below in my signature have info for your Newmar.

Here is one thread found in search.----- Here is the one I have been looking for.

Tags
ceiling, dutch star