Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2015, 08:32 AM   #1

Dutch Star sewer outlet alignment

We have a 2001 Dutch Star 3891. Here's the problem. The outlet for the grey/black tank extends too far out over the screw fitting in the floor of the compartment to be usable without using a flex tube and bending it back on itself in order to fit out the hole in the bottom. With that much stress on the tube where it attaches to the quick connect end, it leads to failure of the tube, not to mention difficulty in getting it connected. A straight 90 to the sewer fitting extends the flex tubing even farther out from the fitting, compounding the problem. Does anyone with a similar year/model have this problem, or does it look like it has been replaced by previous owner?, or am I just missing something obvious? Click image for larger version

Name:	sewer outlet DS 001.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	102269

Click image for larger version

Name:	sewer outlet DS 002.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	102270

Thanks for reading!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2015, 08:43 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Sewer alignment...

I just learned at the NKK rally that (on my 03 DSDP) the part you refer to actually hinges up and down....I was not aware it would do that and it is designed to do that. Mine was "stuck" at an odd angle down making it hard to connect a hose. Since learning that the connector hinges up and down, I am able to use a 90 degree transparent elbow on my 3" outlet to align the connection of a flexible sewer hose up with the hole in the floor of the compartment. I believe the elbow I am using is a Rhino elbow.

That's my poop on that... your mileage and bowels may vary.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbywaters View Post
I just learned at the NKK rally that (on my 03 DSDP) the part you refer to actually hinges up and down....I was not aware it would do that and it is designed to do that. Mine was "stuck" at an odd angle down making it hard to connect a hose. Since learning that the connector hinges up and down, I am able to use a 90 degree transparent elbow on my 3" outlet to align the connection of a flexible sewer hose up with the hole in the floor of the compartment. I believe the elbow I am using is a Rhino elbow.

That's my poop on that... your mileage and bowels may vary.
Doug, You're freakin' AWESOME! I just went out there, and that's done fixed it!

I never realized that, we've only owned it for about 3 months. The previous owner (original owner) didn't know that either, he said he just fought with it for 14 years!

Here I was about ready to start cutting and seeing what I could do to fix a "bad design"!
Old 08-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #4

Only noticeable difference from my water bay , is the red pex for the hot water low point drain .
Like dbywaters, there is twist in my piping, but I don't think my cap sits that far forward of the panel, when installed a 90 degree fitting , points straight down the center of the opening, but my floor opening looks bigger.
I'll take pictures this afternoon.

EDIT: I see my slow typing has reared it's ugly head.... I'm still typing and you've got your problem fixed.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:04 AM   #5

Skip426, That's okay, that happens to me as well, I think sometimes people (like me at times) have nothing better to do than lurk on the forum! Thanks to both of you for a quick and helpful answer. Also, the hole in the floor on mine is placed as close to the outside structure as it could get, but you're right, a bigger hole would have been helpful.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:17 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
dbywaters or hit the rhod, can you post pictures of your set-up showing how you connected the elbow and how the fitting flexed? I have a similar issue with my coach. Thanks!
jimfh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfh2o View Post
dbywaters or hit the rhod, can you post pictures of your set-up showing how you connected the elbow and how the fitting flexed? I have a similar issue with my coach. Thanks!
Jim, I will try and see if I can get a video to you. Basically, you just take ahold of the outlet fitting and rotate either down or up in the fittings. It will point straight down, out toward you, or partially up before it runs into an obstruction. It swivels in the grey & black tank attach points on either side.

Boy, here I am sounding like an expert, and 60 minutes ago, I didn't even know it swiveled! Not sure if your newer coach has the same option, but I would think it would. Please let us know if it does! Take care,
Old 08-06-2015, 10:45 AM   #8

Have the same setup on my 2014 Ventana. I wish Newmar would just move the hole in the bottom of the bay out a little bit. Many of us use the Rhinoflex fittings and hoses. It takes a bit of maneuvering to get the 90* elbows to seat and twist lock onto the discharge fitting.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #9

I have the same problem on my '14 Ventana. I am not aware of the flex version of sewer outlet... but I will check next time I am at the coach.
Would certainly like to see some pics.
Thanks in advance.
dhlairbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:25 PM   #10

OK, just checked out the sewer drain, and it is moveable, up and down!!!
Sure wish I realized that last time I had the coach out, would have saved some time on set up.
Thanks again guys... great info!
dhlairbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I realized mine would move up and down the last time out. I thought it was something wrong with it and said "oh crap, how do you fix this!" Glad to find out its supposed to do that.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 02:55 PM   #12

I realized mine rotated as well, but I still can't get the hose to fit properly through the hole in the bottom of the pan....regardless of the angle I use...so I've just ignored it for the last several months. I use the Rhino hose system...which has very large connectors on the end. Perhaps a smaller connector on a hose end might work.....

Roger
Roscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:10 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I use a clear plastic 45 deg elbow attached to the sewer discharge pipe; they twist-lock on just like the sewer hose connection. However, the discharge end of the clear plastic 45 is at the same elevation as the hole so it is a bit of a struggle to attach the sewer hose (I leave the clear 45 attached when the sewer pipe is removed). I did see a slightly shorter 45 deg ell in an RV park office, but didn't buy it at the time so am going to look for the shorter one that should solve my connecton problem.

The clear placstic fittings work very well to view when the black tank is totally flushed. Since using it I find that it takes several fill/flush routines to flush all the paper out of the black tank... even after the flushing water runs clear.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:17 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Elbow on waste water connector in Cabinet.

If the image works below, you should see the adapter I am using to re-direct the poop down the hose..
The clear adapter almost hits dead center of the opening in the bottom of the compartment.

Doug,

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rino el bow.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	102327   Click image for larger version

Name:	elbow1.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	102328