Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2019, 10:49 AM   #1

Dutch Star vs Ventana 4369

We really like this floorplan. Looking at the brochure, I see the following differences:

Wheelbase
Engine HP
Axle/overall coach weight capacities

What else don't I get on the Ventana?

On the Dutch Star, I see Spartan and Freightliner chassis - any advantage of either? I see Spartan is a little heavier, which reduces CCC, but other than that?
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Spartan maybe heavier to carry more weight carry capacity than another MFG chassis.
Look up Chassis info in this link.
This link will give you more detailed info of coach your interested in.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:01 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Here’s some more reading material;
https://www.google.com/search?q=dutc...obile&ie=UTF-8
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:10 PM   #4

You've got a MAJOR topic within a topic, here. As @"007" has pointed you to, there is a ton of info...including yet another hot debate in progress...regarding the FL and SP chassis. You won't find anything other than strong opinions on that topic.

However, my suggestion is to consult with my friend and incredible resource, who is a top dealer of Newmars. He's a wealth of information and actually sits on the Floor Plan team (no pun intended)! He will, without a doubt, point out very good comparisons as he did with us and others.

Not only that, he's an incredible guy and a pleasure to talk to!!

His name is Tom Lindstrom at;
Tom Lindstrom RV
500 W Los Angeles Ave.
Moorpark CA 93021
(888) 850-2076‬
https://tomlindstromrv.com

Hope this helps,

Tell him Steve sent ya!
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:27 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknavy View Post
We really like this floorplan. Looking at the brochure, I see the following differences:

Wheelbase
Engine HP
Axle/overall coach weight capacities

What else don't I get on the Ventana?

On the Dutch Star, I see Spartan and Freightliner chassis - any advantage of either? I see Spartan is a little heavier, which reduces CCC, but other than that?
We opted for Spartan because it is rated better.

We also wanted the full wall hydraulic slide that includes the more floor/no carpet that wasn't available on the Ventana.

Less cabinet color choices on Ventana.

We did our own build sheet and when we added everything we wanted to the Ventana, it made more sense to get the Dutch Star. Some things standard on DS that were optional on Ventana.

On the other hand, Ventana is supposed to have a rear ladder but the DS does not. I miss having a rear ladder and it is not even possible as an option
on the DS.

Might have been different if we had been comparing two on the lot rather than building our own.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:46 PM   #6

FYI on the 2019 Ventana, Spartan chassis is an option. They also have many of the luxury coach options.
speaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:40 PM   #7

We ordered a 2019 Ventana 4369 but upgraded to a Mountain Aire tile floor and countertop. However I believe the Dutch Star has a heated floor (or option) which might be nice. With the furnace on in our Ventana some of the vents will heat sections of the floor, but only in spots. Might not be an issue if you stay where it's warm.
Old 01-04-2019, 06:50 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiGr View Post
We ordered a 2019 Ventana 4369 but upgraded to a Mountain Aire tile floor and countertop. However I believe the Dutch Star has a heated floor (or option) which might be nice. With the furnace on in our Ventana some of the vents will heat sections of the floor, but only in spots. Might not be an issue if you stay where it's warm.
Yes, there is an option of heated electric floor. From what we've heard, it sounds like the dealers who order add that in. With our build, we opted not to include it because of the additional cost and thinking of it as something that could go wrong. There might be occasional times when we'll be sorry but we don't camp where it will be cold for extended periods. And yes, the Oasis heat does help keep the floors a bit warmer but, obviously not as much as a heated floor.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:09 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lce3 View Post
Yes, there is an option of heated electric floor. From what we've heard, it sounds like the dealers who order add that in. With our build, we opted not to include it because of the additional cost and thinking of it as something that could go wrong. There might be occasional times when we'll be sorry but we don't camp where it will be cold for extended periods. And yes, the Oasis heat does help keep the floors a bit warmer but, obviously not as much as a heated floor.

I shared all of your concerns about the heated floors and had convinced myself that in So Cal they weren’t needed. Several of my forum friends convinced me that I needed them so I added them to my build at the last minute. In one word......Amazing! In a year of camping, nights as low as 30 degrees, we have not used any other source of heat. The radiant heat from the floors does not dry you out like the other heat sources, is quite and keeps the inside of the motorhome very cozy.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiGr View Post
I'm out with my sister and brother in law and they are in their '18 Phaeton. They lost their aquahot. He managed to get the electric side working, so they are managing to take luke warm showers, but not enough to heat their coach.

Their electric floors came in real handy, because it's too cold for heat pumps. Plus, they like their heated floors normally, as it gives an even warmth to the entire coach without the Aquahot/Oasis yoyo of comes on until it's too warm, then cycles off until it's too cool, then cycles on until it's too warm, etc....

Since we plan to use our coach multiple times a year in near or below freezing temps (like this past week in Branson), I came really close to going with the DS to get heated floors and all tile.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 07:57 AM   #11

So, what I'm gathering here is everyone loves heated floors!
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 08:21 AM   #12

Quote:
When I built my house a few years ago, I put in hydronic under tile heat. My intention was just to take the edge off the tile, and since it's a fairly large home, electric wasn't an option.

As it turns out, it's my primary heat source and I only kick on the furnaces once or twice a year. First year we didn't use the furnace at all, including a two week stretch when it was in the teens outside. Now, we set the floors a little lower (at least in a house, you can't really raise and lower the temp willy nilly, because there is a delay in the fact that the water is heating the floor, which is heating the air.

Anyway, I became sold on floor heat after putting it in my house, but everything I've read from people in RV's and talking to my sister, most people that get it love it and would never want another coach without.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:31 AM   #13

Quote:
I wonder how the crowd will vote if the floor heat quits working. Especially if the tile would have to come up for repair. They could become an expensive venture.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:38 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomandGloria View Post
I wonder how the crowd will vote if the floor heat quits working. Especially if the tile would have to come up for repair. They could become an expensive venture.
I guess the answer to your question, would actually BE a question:

What part would fail and necessitate ripping the floor up? Just as in a residential application, what would fail, would be the pump if it's a water-system, or the transformer/controller if it's electric. Either one, would not require any floor being ripped up.
CaptainGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dutch star, vent, ventana