Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #1

Dutch Star: Which Wifi Ranger to use?

I'm trying to decide which version of the Wifi Ranger to get for our (upcoming) 2016 DS4369. I'd like to get the Wifi Ranger Elite Pack, but don't know if I should get the one that mounts vertically (by strapping it to the TV antenna) or mounts flat on the roof and sticks up 11-13" all the time.

Has anyone with a 2015+ Dutch Star mounted one of these? If so, where did you mount it and what kind did you get? Particularly interested in the Elite Pack.

Is it possible that Newmar will pre-run the wiring, or is it all done by the service center after manufacture?

TIA!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2015, 06:50 PM   #2

Mike, when it comes to WiFi signals height is king! If you can mount on the antenna shaft then go for it, flat mounting will work but as I said, height is king
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:53 PM   #3
owr

Tiffin Owners Club
Height is the answer ! Plus the signals will eminate much better from a vertical antenna installation. ..
owr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGriffin View Post
I'm trying to decide which version of the Wifi Ranger to get for our (upcoming) 2016 DS4369. I'd like to get the Wifi Ranger Elite Pack, but don't know if I should get the one that mounts vertically (by strapping it to the TV antenna) or mounts flat on the roof and sticks up 11-13" all the time.

Has anyone with a 2015+ Dutch Star mounted one of these? If so, where did you mount it and what kind did you get? Particularly interested in the Elite Pack.

Is it possible that Newmar will pre-run the wiring, or is it all done by the service center after manufacture?

TIA!
Newmar will run the wire as a special. Extra cost, but much easier done when it is being built than after the fact.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 09:18 PM   #5

Mike,

Didn't they eliminate the antenna with the shaft etc for 2016? I thought my 4312 was coming with a fixed antenna, the Winegard Rayzar.

Adil
CentILRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:10 AM   #6

That's one of the things I'm trying to determine, at Adil. I wasn't sure if the digital antenna with the 2016 models was one that raised or not.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:17 PM   #7

Used WiFi Ranger

Quote:

TIA!

I have a WiFi Ranger with the XT antenna, now called the Elite model. Using PVC pipe I made a pole that attaches to the ladder. When in transit, antenna is below the roof. When parked, I can extend the pole and antenna about 6' above the roof. As stated, height is everything with WiFi.

My Wifi Ranger is for sale as I have sold my motorhome. I have 50' of powered CAT 5 cable which make is an easy installation.
Contact me if interested.
Laker44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:29 PM   #8

We picked up our 2015 coach and had the Elite with the Go2 router installed. The antenna was attached to the bat-wing antenna. See photo. This was done at the service center prior to us arriving for the customer pick-up.

The 2016 DS and up will have the Winegard Rayzar installed. Not sure about the Ventana antenna. So, you need to have a different solution for the Elite.

I plan to have the Winegard Rayzar installed and will be faced with devising a new method of mounting the Elite. Because I have the Bat-wing mechanism on the roof, I will likely incorporate the base and a slightly taller pole for the Elite to be raised.

Without the Bat-wing mechanism I would look to attaching something to the bracket that the awning is secured to - they are on both sides of the coach. Visible in the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2487.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	103127  
Former Coach - Newmar London Aire
JCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:09 PM   #9

After reading answers here and doing a lot more research (including a call to Newmar), I believe we'll get a Elite Pack FM (flat mount). Newmar doesn't sell them, so we'll have to buy it and take it up when we go for factory delivery. I guess I'll make an appointment beforehand for them to install. Apparently, the 11-13" it rises vertically from the roof is acceptable, since A/C's and other things are taller than that. See https://wifiranger.com/shop/product/...ack-flat-mount for info on the Elite Pack FM.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:21 PM   #10

just attached mine to the forward a/c unit - works great
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 07:17 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
After reading answers here and doing a lot more research (including a call to Newmar), I believe we'll get a Elite Pack FM (flat mount). Newmar doesn't sell them, so we'll have to buy it and take it up when we go for factory delivery. I guess I'll make an appointment beforehand for them to install. Apparently, the 11-13" it rises vertically from the roof is acceptable, since A/C's and other things are taller than that. See https://wifiranger.com/shop/product/...ack-flat-mount for info on the Elite Pack FM.
Keep us updated on how they route the cable. This is a project I will need to do when we go full timing next year.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2015, 08:07 AM   #12

i routed mine over the roof edge thru the full wall slide(thru the upper gasket)... and the slide movement does not impact the cable. Of course, you could go thru a new or existing roof 'hole', especially if you hava a sat dish. The mount on the forward a/c only took two screws into the a/c shroud fascia.
I also had it mounted inside in the upper passenger side window for many months, worked just as well there too, but now its out of the way of the window shade. : )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 08:32 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCAT View Post
We picked up our 2015 coach and had the Elite with the Go2 router installed. The antenna was attached to the bat-wing antenna. See photo. This was done at the service center prior to us arriving for the customer pick-up.

The 2016 DS and up will have the Winegard Rayzar installed. Not sure about the Ventana antenna. So, you need to have a different solution for the Elite.

I plan to have the Winegard Rayzar installed and will be faced with devising a new method of mounting the Elite. Because I have the Bat-wing mechanism on the roof, I will likely incorporate the base and a slightly taller pole for the Elite to be raised.

Without the Bat-wing mechanism I would look to attaching something to the bracket that the awning is secured to - they are on both sides of the coach. Visible in the photo.
How was the cable routed?
Thanks
Old 08-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #14

I'm wondering about mounting the Elite Pack (not FM) antenna to the back of the ipen-faced satellite dish.

Tags
dutch star