RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
DutchStar

Well we finally got out to Penticton to see the Newmar DutchStar first hand and have to say they are definitely in the running.
Do think the interior of the Winnebago Tour is a touch nicer, but the DutchStar has it beat on the Chassis and construction end as far as I can see.

Got to take a 4386 out for a spin and for never having driven one before,, I must say it wasn't all that difficult. Considering the hills we went up and down it was imperrisve, now I do realize we we're about 8k lbs under what we would be ready for travel with the toad. But it did a great job.

The engine brake on low was amazing going down a 6% grade. It was slowing the coach to much.

Now just have to wait to see some more info on the 2012's and hope everything comes together as we want.

Trap

Traps90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #2

Is the Winnebago Tour and the Dutch Star the same price point?

soricobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 10:09 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by soricobob View Post
Is the Winnebago Tour and the Dutch Star the same price point?
There pretty close in price, with the tour being about 10k more.
Old 06-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #4

Does the Tour have IFS? The more I drive my DSDP the more I'm impressed with the Comfort Steer. For me, it would be a "no brainer" question ... the Dutch Star has a lot more to offer.
JoeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Agree with JoeP....DSDP is a no brainer .......on a Spartan Chassis
Renden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:11 PM   #6

Coming from a rig with the Spartan Chassis, I was a little concerned with the Freightliner. But, with its IFS and 61%+ cut on the front wheels I'm am impressed with the way it drives. We bought it in Nov 2010 and headed dwon south for the winter. Right now we have 8,000 + miles on it and I'm still a great fan of the Chassis, the support from Newmar, and the great help we have had from Midtown.

We have been on the road now for two weeks and are heading to Midtown with a "hit list" of 3 ltems, all of which are minor.

Can't recommend the DSDP enough!

Joe
Old 06-14-2011, 03:20 PM   #7

Hmmm...I too was impressed with the Comfort Steer when I was looking at a new Newmar last year. I bought a 2008 Beaver Contessa instead and don't miss the comfort steer. I've never backed up and found a need to wonder if the wheel was straight, so the comfort steer (from my perspective) is a great marketing feature but with little practicality--again, that's only my opinion. I do believe Newmar makes a great product, they were my #2 choice.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:38 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
Coming from a rig with the Spartan Chassis, I was a little concerned with the Freightliner. But, with its IFS and 61%+ cut on the front wheels I'm am impressed with the way it drives. We bought it in Nov 2010 and headed dwon south for the winter. Right now we have 8,000 + miles on it and I'm still a great fan of the Chassis, the support from Newmar, and the great help we have had from Midtown.

We have been on the road now for two weeks and are heading to Midtown with a "hit list" of 3 ltems, all of which are minor.

Can't recommend the DSDP enough!

Joe
Unfortunately we leave the valley on Thursday morning, would have been nice to had the chance to meet you in person.

Thanks for all the great help in our search

Trap
Old 06-14-2011, 10:09 PM   #9

Unfortunate! We will be in Penticton Thursday afternoon. Sorry to miss you!