RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2020, 05:24 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Dutchstar radiator replacement underway

Thanks to all that posts on this site the info is invaluable! Got a hole in my radiator (side mount with Cumming 350). Got the quote back from Cummings and it was over $5000 for labor plus $1400 for the radiator. I figure I would tear into it myself thanks to all the info on this site. I will let you know how it goes. But, so far so good
DrHilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2020, 05:39 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2 and the Newmar family.

Can't say how many differences you'll find between Freightiner and Spartan on the rad and CAC mountings , but take pictures as you go and don't hesitate to ask for advice .
$5,000 will buy a lot of DIY and computer time .
Old 09-25-2020, 10:46 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Removal Complete Radiator reinstalled

On this Spartan it was pretty straight forward.
I got my radiator from Superior Cooling Systems (Superior Part No: SC-239380) this is the all metal one. Fit perfectly. I found it using part number 1227FF1 off my quote from Cummings.
First get help. You can probably do it by yourself but why?
Seemed to follow what other posts shared.
with he following exceptions

Removing the grill required removing the 6 screws on each hinge. unlike the FL the hinges don't separate. (this was actually one of the most frustration tasks of removal.
I was able to access every thing from outside. Either the side or under the rear. Really not much to get to from the rear engine cover.

I just cut the lower angle iron the grill attaches to. ( this made getting things out and in very easy). I was able to weld it back on. I would guess a couple small pieces of angle iron and bolts would work just as well or there is always JB-Weld.
My radiator was short one of the small fittings so I reused the one from the old radiator. Probably best to wait till the radiator is in place before putting these back on. It would be easy to catch one of those and break it off during installation. (no this didn't happen)
There are 12 bolts that hold the fan on the shroud but only 4 nuts that hold the shroud to the radiator. So i opted to free up the radiator. Bring it out a little and remove the nuts holding the shroud to the radiator. I think this made it easier but not by much.
Currently the new radiator is bolted in and the hoses hooked up. We will see what tomorrow brings.
Old 09-25-2020, 11:53 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
take any pics along the way?
Old 09-26-2020, 05:22 AM   #5

WE had ours replaced on a trip. Total coat was $3600.00 using a solid brass/copper unit.They also replaced all the hoses. That was at a Volvo truck center.

Beware, you have to remove several radiators to get to the engine one. You may be able to turn them aside without removing them, but be very careful not to damage them or their fittings.
I was surprised to learn that the original radiator was metal and plastic.

I was able to witness some of the work-not a project I would want to undertake at my age. (I have rebuilt two airplanes, one sports car and one antique tractor)
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 09:52 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am still scraching my head on the labor charge? Guess I should have shopped around. Without the help of two young men I would not have done this either. There are two small coolers hanging off the front of all this. They were easily moved to the sides without opening the lines. OEM is plastic/aluminum, I went with the all metal for the simple fact that it was available locally.
Old 09-26-2020, 09:55 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
One of the helpers was supposed to be taking pictures along the way but...
Old 09-26-2020, 10:44 AM   #8

Congrats on the DIY. I have the same chassis, and the cooling isn't a system that I have learned much about yet, so I'm glad to hear that I can if I need to. Thanks for sharing.

Tags
replacement, replace, dutchstar, radiator, ace