Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-25-2022, 05:56 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 604
Dutchstar slide lock problem

Hello, I have a 2008 Dutchstar 4023. Today I went to extend the drivers bedroom slide and only one slide lock retracted, the rear one on the slide. The front one on the bedroom slide would not retract. I have had issues with the slide locks in the past, however that issue was that the slide locks on this slide would not lock.

Today I went to extend it and one lock is locked, the other lock is unlocked. I'm not sure what to do. At least the slide is retracted but still, my wife wants it to be able to open and honestly so do I!

I know there are likely many threads on this topic, however I did a search and couldn't find any like this. I'm not even sure where the slide controller is located for that slide. If I took a small hammer and lightly tapped the lock, would that work to unlock it.

I should also say, this is the first time I have gone to extend the slide since last summer. It's been a rather late start to the year.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
__________________
2008 Newmar Dutchstar 4023, 425hp Cummins ISL
SOLD: 2005 Winnebago Journey 39K, 350HP C-7 Cat
Toad: Flat deck car trailer hauling a 1932 ford tudor sedan
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2022, 06:19 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Country Road's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Brenham, Texas
Posts: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
Hello, I have a 2008 Dutchstar 4023. Today I went to extend the drivers bedroom slide and only one slide lock retracted, the rear one on the slide. The front one on the bedroom slide would not retract. I have had issues with the slide locks in the past, however that issue was that the slide locks on this slide would not lock.

Today I went to extend it and one lock is locked, the other lock is unlocked. I'm not sure what to do. At least the slide is retracted but still, my wife wants it to be able to open and honestly so do I!

I know there are likely many threads on this topic, however I did a search and couldn't find any like this. I'm not even sure where the slide controller is located for that slide. If I took a small hammer and lightly tapped the lock, would that work to unlock it.

I should also say, this is the first time I have gone to extend the slide since last summer. It's been a rather late start to the year.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks
Iíve often thought about that happening on ours. Someone will come along pretty soon and give you their take.
__________________
Eddie and Jomaye, Retired
2018 Newmar Ventana 4369
2021 Jeep 4 dr Wrangler
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:51 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
enjoyrv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 796
Duecenut
Interesting I have the same issue with my bedroom slide on my 2010 DA. I have some instructions I can email you once you find the control board for that slide. Send me a PM if you need info.
If yours is the roadside slide , control boards are located in the second storage bay on the chassis frame ahead off the drive wheel. My coach is a 43í and I didnít see what you have.
__________________
Rich NKK19266
2010 Dutch Aire 4317
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit Ecodiesel
enjoyrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 06:54 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
chuckftboy's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North East Florida
Posts: 1,604
My slide locks stopped working last winter. I cycled my 12 volt power off for 10 seconds and back on and they started working again, Your problem seems to be different but it won't hurt to kill the 12 volt power for a 10 count and then give it a try.
__________________
2019 Horizon 42Q
Cummins L-9 450 HP
Maxum Chassis / IFS with Tag
chuckftboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:23 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckftboy View Post
My slide locks stopped working last winter. I cycled my 12 volt power off for 10 seconds and back on and they started working again, Your problem seems to be different but it won't hurt to kill the 12 volt power for a 10 count and then give it a try.
Are you talking about flipping the salesman switch? Or something different?
__________________
2008 Newmar Dutchstar 4023, 425hp Cummins ISL
SOLD: 2005 Winnebago Journey 39K, 350HP C-7 Cat
Toad: Flat deck car trailer hauling a 1932 ford tudor sedan
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 07:56 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
alan1's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: little rock, ar
Posts: 475
I am sure he is talking about the salesman switch.
__________________
2007 Mountain Aire,2014 Mountain Aire
2016 King Aire,2020 Newmar Essex
2017 Ford Explorer toad
alan1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 03:52 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Illinois
Posts: 42
I am also having problems on my 04 MADP. I contacted Newmar, guess it is a common problem for the lock arm assembly to rust and rot out. Newmar states they cannot get those anymore however, they can refurbish yours for $267. Each. Luckily a few taps with a dead blow hammer allowed my lock to retract into the slide allowing me to open it. I have heard actuators can go bad. Then you have to take the cabinet apart allowing access to the system. Fortunately I haven't had to do that yet, probably this winter. Good luck..
__________________
2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 4301
Spartan Mountain Master GT
Josh H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022, 06:34 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
chuckftboy's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North East Florida
Posts: 1,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucenut View Post
Are you talking about flipping the salesman switch? Or something different?
Yes. the salesman switch but I think it is now proper to call it (salesperson) switch LoL!!
__________________
2019 Horizon 42Q
Cummins L-9 450 HP
Maxum Chassis / IFS with Tag
chuckftboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 08:06 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Center Valley, Pa
Posts: 129
Open the metal cover on the lock assembly box by removing the screws. There will be a plug attached to the actuator. There are two contacts in the plug and they are 12 volt +/-. Us a 12 volt supply (battery or plug in) and apply to wires for actuator. One way will close and the reverse of the wires will open. If there is no movement your actuator is bad. I have been buying them on ebay for $29. The magnetic contact switch can be a problem but not normally in the locked position. These locks are a pain but are a simple device. The main failure is the gearbox in the actuator. The case screws shear and the gearbox separates.
__________________
Bill and Audrey
2009 Dutchstar 4043
2014 Honda Cr-V
wlw209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 06:47 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Country Road's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2021
Location: Brenham, Texas
Posts: 1,073
Just a comment about the salesman switch. Generally, the salesman switch will kill non essential things like interior lights, radio, etc. My understanding and I may be wrong, it probably would not disable the slide locks or any similar essential item.

You would probably have to pull a fuse if you donít have a master 12v cutoff to disable the slide locks.
__________________
Eddie and Jomaye, Retired
2018 Newmar Ventana 4369
2021 Jeep 4 dr Wrangler
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 05:13 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlw209 View Post
Open the metal cover on the lock assembly box by removing the screws. There will be a plug attached to the actuator. There are two contacts in the plug and they are 12 volt +/-. Us a 12 volt supply (battery or plug in) and apply to wires for actuator. One way will close and the reverse of the wires will open. If there is no movement your actuator is bad. I have been buying them on ebay for $29. The magnetic contact switch can be a problem but not normally in the locked position. These locks are a pain but are a simple device. The main failure is the gearbox in the actuator. The case screws shear and the gearbox separates.
By metal cover, do you mean the cover of the actual lock? And how do I do that when the lock is deployed? Sorry that seems like a dumb question
__________________
2008 Newmar Dutchstar 4023, 425hp Cummins ISL
SOLD: 2005 Winnebago Journey 39K, 350HP C-7 Cat
Toad: Flat deck car trailer hauling a 1932 ford tudor sedan
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 06:44 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Center Valley, Pa
Posts: 129
There are plastic covers over the metal enclosures that house the slide locks. Remove the wood screws that hold them. The lock has a faceplate that is attached with screws. The plugs I referred to are inside. Disconnect plug to actuator and apply 12 volts across input. No movement means dead actuator. The normally mechanically fail rather than the motor.
__________________
Bill and Audrey
2009 Dutchstar 4043
2014 Honda Cr-V
wlw209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 04:18 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 604
Update

Thought I would update this thread. I ended up figuring out it was the lock actuator that had failed. The local dealer had the replacement part ($639 ouch) so I went ahead and installed the new part. With one paddle open and one closed, the system automatically synced them and once wired up, it worked like it should. Luckily, I was able to do this at the beginning of our trip, so we had our normal bedroom size back.

Thanks everyone for the help!
__________________
2008 Newmar Dutchstar 4023, 425hp Cummins ISL
SOLD: 2005 Winnebago Journey 39K, 350HP C-7 Cat
Toad: Flat deck car trailer hauling a 1932 ford tudor sedan
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 05:13 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Iron Man's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,069
I think these may work



https://www.firgelliauto.com/products/linear-actuators The one you need is 12v, 4" stroke, 150 pound.
__________________
John, Pam, Nicholas, Aria
NKK 16073L
2007 Essex 4502
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dutchstar, problem, slide



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Traveling without Slide Lock Engaged / 2008 DutchStar 4355 Kruegerw Newmar Owner's Forum 10 07-07-2021 06:01 PM
Newmar Slide Lock / 2008 DutchStar 4355 Kruegerw Class A Motorhome Discussions 1 06-28-2021 06:56 PM
2004 Dutchstar - renovate or upgrade to 2008 Dutchstar? Racing4Fun Newmar Owner's Forum 15 03-26-2018 07:00 PM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.