RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2013, 11:59 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
DVDs for New Buyers

The closed thread "Not a good Newmar Story" got me thinking since the thread got a little off topic. There should be a DVD made for each new Coach and given to new owners covering every aspect of their Coach. Every switch, light, system, what to do, what NOT to do, minor repairs, etc, etc. Yes, a customer service technician does go over all of this at the time of delivery, BUT, it is so much info and senior moments do occasionally creep in and you wish you had a DVD to look up the info you need. The manual is OK, but it really isn't great. Of course, it would be great if everyone took an RV course, but most aren't your Coach specific. JMO

One other thing. Is there a place on the forum that would allow you to make suggestions to NewMar as to improvments to the Coach. Case in point, on my 3434 Ventana, I would not have placed the sewer vent pipe right next to the bathroom fan.

saleishear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #2

I have a VHS tape that came with my 99, as far as I can tell it's never been in a machine, and my last tape player died years ago, so I can't tell you what's on it. Yes a complete explanation of all the coach systems would be nice. I went through my used coach with both the salesman and a shop tech , when I took delivery used 3 years ago and within 2 weeks was looking at systems that I know they never covered. At least the 2 POs had kept every manual for all the systems. But some items , like fuse locations ( 9 so far ) were a seek till you find them item , I'm sure that Newmar couldn't even tell me the locations on a 15 year old coach.
Best thing you can do is keep asking questions and take notes and pictures. For your and others future reference. Keep a file to leave in the coach if you sell it.
Plumbing vent to bathroom fan , while that's a common problem , manufacturers stick the vent pipe in the easiest spot , usually straight up from the tank, last 3 , 5ths and this coach could have been thought out better.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
when we did our walk through of our Cayon Star, I had my kids take a video from start to finish. It is a good reference but I stll ask a lot of question on the forum
Logrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #4

My Essex came with a dvd or cd. Not much help. I made a file of PDF's for most everything on my coach. I have repair manuals for about everything. Also scan the bills and service letters in it for the Warranty. If you could take the time and check all model & Serial numbers on parts in your coach, then you can look them up and download manuals from the manufactures. Also can take pictures of #s. Lot of work, but if you get out and need info, it's on the laptop .
CJGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:52 PM   #5

I'd like to have just all the fuses and breaker location info. The rest is easy.
CJGJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #6

In reality, producing a video production for each individual RV would be nice, but quite costly. One of the things that has impressed me about Winnebago is that they supply a complete manual (actually a total of 4) that has the basic info, plus info on all the installed options. As mentioned by a previous poster, I spent about 6 months of spare time on the road downloading all the info that I could from supplier web sites. I also saved links to IRV2 discussions on various systems and problems/solutions.

Those files are kept on my laptop, with a backup on SD card and as attachments to e-mails that I sent to my Gmail account, and can access from a public library computer if needed.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #7

A DVD would be great. As a general contractor, when digital photography came along years ago I started taking lots of pictures of the building process. Once the home was framed and rough electrical, plumbing and HVAC installed, I would take pictures of every wall, floor and ceiling in the home. When the home was finished and sold I would give the new owner a CD copy of this visual record. I can't tell you how many times these pictures answered questions. It would be wonderful if RV manufacturers would do this for us buyers.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:57 PM   #8

My 96 Mountain Aire, even though I bought it used, came with a VHS tape. Great info on it. It let me know that it did in fact have a spare tire, even though others said no. I was even able to tell a couple at the Cajun RV Fest in Rayne that their new to them 96 Mountain Aire had a spare (or at least a place for one) even though several Newmar owners at the Fest said no it doesn't.
Afubar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Dr. Sam to the forum and irv2.
Back in the 90's a tape came with the black case of written material supplied by Newmar and other MFG's that covered general information and you probably had more information in your head than what was supplied on tape or papers if you have been RVing for a few years.

In the 90's they came out with a disk with the general information which may have been better but some thing I never saw because all mine were tapes.

We now have a COM_NET2 network that is supplying more info than we ever had with more detail for each individual coach but I find on a recent thread some material may not be correct in the low end Owners Guide because the same guide is covering 8 models in that lineup.

The Com_NET is the best we have right now and I have posted many items out of it in QT's 1 & 2 and the new # 3.

I have post threads on how to access the COM_NET on different threads thru out the Newmar forum.

Many COM_NET links have wound up in other forums because of their relation to common things in a RV.
Newmar has TSB AND PSB related to products and problems that they have issued.

Your coach build information is their also. You can spend hours within this network.

Yes Newmar had options for spare tires back in the 90's they had a spare tire in a tray off the rear bumper that pulled out whan you released a latch and my 03 coach had a tire rack under the rear of coach that would drop down with cable release from rear number plate.

Newmar has dropped having a spare and I can see why, I never had to use my spare in any of the coach's I had until recently when I used it because someone sliced my tire. Its more weight to carry, $500 tire off the cost of coach that most of us will never have to used.

Than you also have many knowledgeable people on the forums that will answer many of your questions and solve a problem or steer you as how to resolve the problem.

But allot is left up to you to dig into the many links provided and reading them to give you a pretty good idea of how things work on your coach.

We have a RV Systems & Appliances forum that has many links for trouble shooting those problems. Many of the forums have stickies that have important links to resolve a problem and should not be over looked.

You may notice I have links in my signature that I use constantly and that you can use to move around the forums and get quick links to information.
You also have a search engine at top of all forums for info in that particular forum and one at the top of irv2 forum for the whole forum searching.

SO have fun and after you have read all that I have provided you will be answering our or others questions in short order.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote