Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2019, 05:28 PM   #1

DW Finally take RV Driving School course

After 3 1/2 years with our Newmar, DW finally took and passed the RV Driving School two day course. Prior to this she was terrified to even start the coach. She never drove it in traffic, or anything where for that matter. After two days in class, she was able to :

*drive our coach on city streets (in Casa Grande, AZ) ,
*through a round about,
*past an accident scene,
* on a lane narrowed by big cones in a construction zone,
*on to an interstate in the pouring rain,
*backing up on a road,
*and backing into a camp site.

A BIG thank you to Paul Metzinger from the RV Driving School. You really made a difference...and gave me peace of mind that things are covered should something unexpected happen to me.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2019, 06:24 PM   #2

That is great! Congrats to your wife for trying and accomplishing such a great goal!

I (we) haven't yet taken a course, however I feel very confident behind the wheel of our CS. I drive at least 1/2 the time while DH works/sleeps. The only time he looks up is if I have to brake hard.

I believe all women can and should be driving the RVs they are traveling in-freedom, independence, confidence and I could go on and on.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:58 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogus View Post
That is great! Congrats to your wife for trying and accomplishing such a great goal!

I (we) haven't yet taken a course, however I feel very confident behind the wheel of our CS. I drive at least 1/2 the time while DH works/sleeps. The only time he looks up is if I have to brake hard.

I believe all women can and should be driving the RVs they are traveling in-freedom, independence, confidence and I could go on and on.
Congrats to you wife. DW is planning on taking the instruction at a Spartan Academy still to be scheduled.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:41 PM   #4

Congratulations job well done

Zzotte
Old 03-14-2019, 08:51 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Congratulation on your wife passing the driving test. I wish I could get my DW to consider driving but it's always a firm, No!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:35 PM   #6

I am so very proud of her. She was adamant not to drive the rig. And that is certainly her choice. The thought of doing so was almost paralyzing to her. I had an unexpected medical challenge last year. She then started reconsidering. She decided to take the class.

She will most likely not be the primary driver. I would be happy for her to just drive for a short time occasionally...just to maintain familiarity with driving the coach and reduce anxiety.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:51 PM   #7

We always felt it was very important that both drove the motorhome. Women are fully capable of doing so. You never know if your husband got sick or sprained an ankle or whatever. Plus.... it's fun! On our all summer trip to Alaska we took turns every time we moved. That way the other could enjoy the scenery. We also switched regularly at other times just to keep driving fresh. If you only do it once in a while you're not going to feel as comfortable doing so. We also shared the dump station routine and hooking up and packing up.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:08 AM   #8

That's awesome, I believe both should always be able to drive in case of an unexpected situation where the other is incapacitated to do so. You just never know.

Personally, and I am the wife I don't enjoy driving the RV at all unless I am on my own. Not even the SUV any more but I do it nonetheless, just as all the blue and pink jobs on a fairly consistent basis. Hubby prefers to drive than being the passenger and when he is in the passenger seat or standing by at dumpstations, can't help but pass comments. Hence probably why I prefer not to. Oh well ........ sigh.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:31 AM   #9

When I taught sailing, I always told the "first mates" that they had to be better boat handlers than their "captains." I said: "Under normal conditions, he has you. In emergencies, you have just yourself."

Found some "captains" were too proud to share the helm, too. I, when I fell sick on an RV trip across the southern US, was happy my spouse already knew how to drive the rig well.

We agree that if only one of us could drive we would give up RVing.

One thing I have noticed, though: Whenever I switch out of the driver's seat, within 10 miles we are into a construction zone with 10-foot lanes and Jersey barriers on each side. The Mrs. swears I do it on purpose; I respond: "How would I know?" ;-)
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 05:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post

One thing I have noticed, though: Whenever I switch out of the driver's seat, within 10 miles we are into a construction zone with 10-foot lanes and Jersey barriers on each side. The Mrs. swears I do it on purpose; I respond: "How would I know?" ;-)
Kudos to the Mrs for taking the initiative to learn!

Nobody likes those stretches of construction.
One aide I've found helpful is to find the spots on the windshield that line up w L & R side lane marking when seated... takes a little trial & error. A helper and setting them in a rest area w marked truck lanes is a good way to start.
I placed a couple stick on page markers and can use those to position the MH where I want it in a lane. It even works when lanes not marked by using the bottom of the Jersey barrier as a substitute. What I like is you can keep your eyes ahead instead of checking mirrors or camera as a gauge.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Kudos to the Mrs for taking the initiative to learn!

Nobody likes those stretches of construction.
One aide I've found helpful is to find the spots on the windshield that line up w L & R side lane marking when seated... takes a little trial & error. A helper and setting them in a rest area w marked truck lanes is a good way to start.
I placed a couple stick on page markers and can use those to position the MH where I want it in a lane. It even works when lanes not marked by using the bottom of the Jersey barrier as a substitute. What I like is you can keep your eyes ahead instead of checking mirrors or camera as a gauge.
Congratulations,my wife also took the driving class Sunday in Perry, GA she did superb!
crbigbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:20 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Congrats to you wife. DW is planning on taking the instruction at a Spartan Academy still to be scheduled.
We are scheduled for the June class at Spartan. I will be in that driver training because, like Havingablast's DW, I am terrified to drive our 45' beast until I do get some training.
MrsSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:07 AM   #13

Congratulations. My wife has always driven. She didn't think it was fair to me that I would have to do all the driving. We had to make an emergency trip from Alaska to Wisconsin last year. 13 hours a day for 7 days. It took both of us.