Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2019, 10:01 AM   #1

Earthquake

Hi, recently while parked and settle we experienced two earthquakes here in California, slides out jacks down I only felt it, my neighbor however told me that “amazing how your big rig shocked like a leaf” ok so now the question remains I don’t see any damage so if any of you experienced shaking I mean shake a RV with the slides open and jacks down please let me know what to look for before I close it up and move on by the way I could not find any info in my owner manual Hahaha thanks

Zzotte
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2019, 10:15 AM   #2

I don't imagine that the writers of the owners manual would have thought to cover " earthquakes " and potential results in the manual.

If a visual inspection; now; of gaps in the slide openings doesn't show any problems , you'll just have to wait till you run the slides in and re-inspect.
BUT, JMHO; after driving my coach on the I-5 for many years and finding those road surface problems at 60 mph , I doubt you'll be finding any damage to your coach.
Old 07-07-2019, 10:48 AM   #3

I’d report the incident(s) to my insurance company. If at all possible, I’d stay in place until both Spartan and Newmar could be reached for advice.

There could be unseen damage to either the slides or jacks, even if everything retracts properly. I’d also schedule an inspection once you have determined or decided it is safe to move the coach.

Unless you drive with the slides out and the jacks down, what you’ve experienced is a bit different than a bump on the road.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 11:27 AM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
If you think about it, every time you drive down a rough road, your coach goes through an earthquake. Even with the jacks down. it's still on tires and moves with the quake. I see your not form California and not use to earthquakes. In 63 years of living in California and present for every one of the large quakes, I've never heard of an RV receiving damage and doubt yours did. They're made to adsorb the shock, even with the jacks down as the suspension absorbs the rolling, even if aired down.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #5

What part of Calif are you in? I lived in San Diego for 35 years before I went fulltime 5 years ago. Lived in Los Angeles for 6 years before that and San Francisco for 2 before that. Have been thru many quakes. Thrown out of bed, thrown off the couch etc. Your RV is a rolling earthquake. In all that time I have never heard of anyone experiencing any problems. That’s not to say there weren’t any, just never heard of any. I would try to put the slides in and the jacks up and if all work well go on with your life and enjoy RVing.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 05:52 PM   #6

July 5th Quake

Well, we were parked in our Bay Star in a KOA in Visalia, CA when the 8:41 PM quake hit. Equalizers were extended as were both slides. It rocked like crazy while our adult daughter was outside in her car. We were yelling at her through the dinette window about feeling the quake. She yelled at us, "Why is your RV moving around????" We laughed so hard. We are back home today, no problems with anything. Now, lets talk about how hard a pounding we took on parts of the I-5 freeway around Magic Mountain. I am surprised this rig is still in one piece.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Unbelievable they've rebuilt the I-5 near Magic Mountain twice and it's still a mess. We have the stacked washer and dryer in our coach. When the washer starts the spin cycle, it feels like a small earthquake.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:41 PM   #8

I do not and never will understand these "resurfaced/rebuilt" freeways where the surface is a washboard road.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:04 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
We have the stacked washer and dryer in our coach. When the washer starts the spin cycle, it feels like a small earthquake.
ain't that the truth !!!
willipaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:22 PM   #10

If the Coach is a rockin, don’t start knockin! [emoji43][emoji106]
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #11

I agree I don’t think we have any issues next week when we leave I will know better, it’s true the freeways now days are bad,

Zzotte
Old 07-07-2019, 08:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl II View Post
I do not and never will understand these "resurfaced/rebuilt" freeways where the surface is a washboard road.
Plus, they don't repave the underpasses or overpasses. I don't get that part.
And why, in 2019 can't they figure out how to maintain a smooth bridge transition?
Old 07-07-2019, 08:58 PM   #13

Seriously?
Your rv shook? As if it doesn't going down the road?
What about the people with homes on solid ground?
Our home shook and i couldn't raise the jacks to get out of the way
Hope your rv is safe
Al Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 09:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy View Post
Seriously?

Your rv shook? As if it doesn't going down the road?

What about the people with homes on solid ground?

Our home shook and i couldn't raise the jacks to get out of the way

Hope your rv is safe

No need get defensive. The conversation was about the effects of the earthquake on an RV, it was in no way comparing the damages they might have to those with homes damaged. It’s acceptable for them to evaluate and ask questions about how they might have personally been affected. If you are looking for a fight please take the fight elsewhere. This is a forum for RVs. That’s it.

Even with jacks down I highly doubt there are damages. You are essentially just floating on the surface of the ground where as a house or building has a solid foundation tied to the movement. Also, our rigs are designed to flex, move and bounce. I would say buildings are not but actually, many homes and buildings in earthquake prone areas are designed to move and flex some. Usually rated for up to certain earthquake intensity.
ca69708 is offline   Reply With Quote