Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-21-2007, 05:53 AM   #1

I was waiting for recall parts so I thought I would look into why my dash heater wasn't getting any hot antifreeze from the engine. The problem was easy to find thanks to the mid engine design of the Allstar. Just under the floor hatch I found a loop of hose with two kinks tied to the engine-lifting bracket.
When I flexed the kink out of the hose a rush of hot antifreeze found it's way to the dash heater. There was lots of heat thanks to the mid engine design which locates the engine heat closer to the dash heater. The Allstar's heater hoses must be at least 10 feet shorter than those in a diesel pusher. Unfortunately when I gained flow to the dash heater I sprung a leak in a hose union deep inside a bundle of hoses and wires tucked into the frame rail. Someone at Spartan or Newmar had not tightened the hose clamp.
Fortunately working through the hole in the kitchen floor on the kinked hose and the leaky hose union was a pleasant experience. I had my tools close at hand, it was warm, the coffee maker was nearby, TV radio, lots of light etc.
The loop of hose would not un-kink so I decided to shorten the hose and run straight over the engine to the union splice. When I drain the antifreeze at a later date I will eliminate the union splice and run a one-piece hose directly to the engine.
Following the hose is easy but the route it take puzzles me. The hot antifreeze travels directly to the dash heater from the engine water pump (this is good). When the cool antifreeze returns from the dash heater it makes a long trip (at least 20 feet of hose) to the far end of my Cummins ISL where it enters the block and exits the block for no apparent reason. When I showed the pictures to a Cummins mechanic he said it's got something to do with EGR (exhaust gas re-circulation). When I gave my engine serial # to the Cummins parts tech he said, "there is no EGR on your engine". So why do the heater hoses enter and exit the block? Can I plug the holes and shorten the return line? Anybody have any ideas?

2007 Allstar,
jjbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2007, 09:17 AM   #2

Excellent post but sorry can't help with your questions. You are right about ease of access, we had no dash AC(turned out apparantly they never put enough freon in to begin with-will find out if we ever get back to warm weather)with no problem checking compressor etc.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:31 AM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I don't think I'd plug anything unless I knew exactly what I was changing. Could be an expensive experiment.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 03:20 PM   #4

I agree with you Dirk. But I hope to find out why the heater hose makes the detour to the back corner of the block. I understand, from talking briefly with the mechanic that the EGR is called cooled EGR and he was sure this was the cooling loop. I also remember seeing the EGR heat exchanger on a big Cummins and it was attached to the block but not a part of the block. I will find out eventually and I will post what I discover.

2007 Allstar,
Old 05-21-2007, 03:25 PM   #5

Dave, I hope you get your air conditioning fixed but I don't think you will miss it much in Alaska.

2007 Allstar,
Old 05-22-2007, 02:31 AM   #6
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">But I hope to find out why the heater hose makes the detour to the back corner of the block. I understand, from talking briefly with the mechanic that the EGR is called cooled EGR and he was sure this was the cooling loop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The problem is finding out what you actually have on your rig. Many well meaning mechanics may not have seen the latest configurations, and may not be familiar with the latest production changes.

I had an engine cooling fan problem, and several Newmar, Spartan, and Cummins employees weren't sure exactly how it was supposed to work.

They all acted in good faith, but each year's model, each model (DSDP, MADP, ASME, etc), and production changes can make your coach different from many others.

In my case, I did a lot of leg work and found the right people at Spartan, who had the correct answers, and fixed the problem.

Good luck.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote