Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2014, 12:42 PM   #1

Eclipse II AVN 4430/TomTom

Our 2012 Dutch Star is factory equipped with the in dash Eclipse II AVN4430/TomTom GPS combination.

The GPS is not specific to rv use. As far as I can tell it will not accept vehicle height/weight/length parameters. I have read online that this unit is no longer tech supported nor are map updates available.

What is Newmar using now for radio/cd/gps? Model number(s) would be helpful, please.

I would like to either update the TomTom gps to rv specific software, or, replace the entire unit with something which will look like original equipment.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I believe this is the model of Clarion installed in my DS. Clarion U.S.A | NX501

The unit is very sophisticated. It has many features including Bluetooth for your phone. The two cons.....I don't think the sound is that great, but part of that is the cheap speakers that are used. The other is the size of the screen.

Previously, I had a Pioneer AVIC D-1 in my Monaco. I loved that radio and intended to replace the Clarion, but the Clarion works really well except for the two items I noted.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
I've had an Eclipse and replaced it with a Pioneer AVIC...never cared for either one due to it being more difficult to program. I've had Eclipses ( Fujitsu brand, I believe) in the past two Lexus' I've owned and always defer to my trusty Garmin. I'd recommend you consider a stand-alone like the Garmin, Tom Tom, Rand McNally or other which has provision for RVers. They are quick to program, tons of RV-specific apps are available to download onto 'em and are cheap enough to replace when technologically obsolete. Hey, they even work in the toad!

www.poifactory.com is one site I go to for tons of apps....Campgrounds, fuel stations, rest stops, restaurants, shopping, National Parks, etc are all available to download and are easy to place on your unit. AND....they are much more comprehensive than the POI's on the dash units.

My Essex came equipped with an "XITE" head unit(sourced from you-know-where....), loaded with Rand McNally GPS software. (R-M software is probably the best I've had in the dash-mounted units) A vendor simply finds a "competitively-priced" head unit with display, loads software from someone like R-M, DVD software, a few other features, etc. and sells it to manufacturers like Newmar. Newmar installs it with cheapie speakers and voila!....an audio/nav system! Looks good....sounds terrible. I really think MH manufacturers have so many other build considerations they don't give a lot of thought to the sound system....people don't buy coaches based on great sound. If you want something better....ya gotta do your own thing!
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #4
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Even though you asked about the dash unit. I also run the Rand McNally unit at the same time. It's mounted by my wife. Since the dash unit can't be used while in motion, I can have her look for a restaurant, campground or rest stop without changing the dash unit.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:38 AM   #5

I appreciate the feedback. Thanks!
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #6

2014 ventana with clarion . WE use a garmin . the radio is marginal at best!!!!!!
would never order again . Give me one with a knobs instead of a screen that is hard to see with trifocals . $1000 it cost and I would trade for a $200 radio what a JOKE
rickdw is offline   Reply With Quote