RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2020, 07:34 PM   #1

Eco mode on the Allison. Does it really make any difference?

I've had this Newmar 4025 DSDP since September so I don't really know what kind of mileage it should get and I really am not concerned. But, on that thought I made a trip to northern Iowa from the KC area last month and I drove up in normal mode. The Trip Tek computer said I got 7.2 mpg on the way up. Coming back I tried the eco mode and the Trip Tek computer showed 7.2 mpg. When I filled up I divided gallons into miles and I saw 7.5 mpg round trip.

So, has anyone really seen any difference in fuel consumption in or out of eco mode? FWIW, I really couldn't tell any difference in shifting or overall coach operation.

Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2020, 07:40 PM   #2

Driven mine for a little over 12,000 miles and can not tell any difference. Also the PO drove it 54,000 miles and told me the same thing

kenwyatt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 08:06 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I saw this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	eco mode.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	278926

that offers an explanation.

Take care,
Stu
Old 03-23-2020, 08:15 PM   #4

Wow! Iím impressed with your mileage . Two questions : what speed do you run and are you pulling a toad?
Granite17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:33 PM   #5

Itís possible that the economy parameters have not been programmed, so itís not doing anything any different in eco mode.
Iíve had various company trucks with Allison transmissions and in economy mode...some shifted differently and some didnít. I was told by a technician that those parameters have to be programmed in. You probably wouldnít see a big mpg gain if they were.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 06:24 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We had an Allison 3000 on two previous rigs - great tranny. Other than the change in down-shifting behavior as noted by Rob_M, using the Eco mode never produced any significant change to fuel economy.

www.TomAndPeg.com
TomAndPeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 07:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granite17 View Post
Wow! Iím impressed with your mileage . Two questions : what speed do you run and are you pulling a toad?
Nothing special. We took I35 most of the way. Stayed between 70-75 except on a two lane highway and that was 60-65. This was the first long trip as we had been taking it on some short 150 mile trips in the Ozarks. I got a bad batch of fuel and had to drain the tank and replace fuel pump so we didn't get any fuel mileage figures there.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 09:04 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
I attended a Spartan seminar a while back, thatís question came up. As stated above, it is program that lowers the shift points.
The presenter said ďyou guys are spending hours and hours in cruise control on the interstate, not a whole lot of shifting going on, you will never notice an difference in mpg, in ECO modeĒ.
Makes me wonder....why is it even a feature?
Old 03-24-2020, 09:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
I attended a Spartan seminar a while back, thatís question came up. As stated above, it is program that lowers the shift points.
The presenter said ďyou guys are spending hours and hours in cruise control on the interstate, not a whole lot of shifting going on, you will never notice an difference in mpg, in ECO modeĒ.
Makes me wonder....why is it even a feature?

Because the same transmissions go in trucks that go 100ís of thousands of miles per year and companies want to save every dollar they can.
Also less up and down shifting means less wear and tear on the transmission and shifting at lower shift points is less wear and tear on the engine.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:12 AM   #10

7.2 must be the number. My 4018 gets that on the meter with or without a toad.
az99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:05 AM   #11

To the OP, I offer 2 observations:

1. lowering your cruise speed to a point that you are 1800 RPM or less will improve your fuel economy. But, I note that you said you didn't really care about that.
2. At 75 MPH you are at the maximum speed your tires are rated at for safety.

If you are traveling in an area with rolling hills and you notice the transmission shifting down to 5th from 6th as you near the peaks of the hills, the MODE setting will keep that from happening. That will result in less wear and tear on the transmission and engine.-Paul
Old 03-25-2020, 06:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post
If you are traveling in an area with rolling hills and you notice the transmission shifting down to 5th from 6th as you near the peaks of the hills, the MODE setting will keep that from happening. That will result in less wear and tear on the transmission and engine.-Paul

As noted in the thread aboveÖ ONLY if it has been programmed to do so.
Old 03-26-2020, 09:12 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I use it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
As noted in the thread aboveÖ ONLY if it has been programmed to do so.
I attended camp Frieghtliner a few years ago, at that "course" we learned that the best way to use the mode button was to turn it on and put the cruise at 63 mph. That gets the best operating point for the engine/tranny set up (1750 rpm), Mike indicated that the tranny was programmed for the ECO mode. It does seem to "move" my shift points. I usually use ECO mode unless driving in mountainous areas (there I resort to manual up/down shift as needed).

FWIW prior to that I was getting 7.1 mpg (towing) after following the advice given by Mike the instructor I get 8.2 mpg (that's roughly a 12% increase) YMMV

Dave

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 09:49 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by park_ridge_dave View Post
I attended camp Frieghtliner a few years ago, at that "course" we learned that the best way to use the mode button was to turn it on and put the cruise at 63 mph. That gets the best operating point for the engine/tranny set up (1750 rpm), Mike indicated that the tranny was programmed for the ECO mode. It does seem to "move" my shift points. I usually use ECO mode unless driving in mountainous areas (there I resort to manual up/down shift as needed).

FWIW prior to that I was getting 7.1 mpg (towing) after following the advice given by Mike the instructor I get 8.2 mpg (that's roughly a 12% increase) YMMV

Dave

Interesting....thatís a big improvement. What speeds were you driving at 7 mpg vs the 8 you are reporting now? Also, any change in bio-diesel usage?

Tags
allison