Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2020, 06:34 AM   #99

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzotte View Post
We just a little more money and a trade in get yourself a DS they have the shorty now it’s really nice, and you get almost all that you want from factory, IMHO nothing aftermarket it’s really worth the money, I had that experience with my Bay Star and now with the Dutch Star

Zzotte
I like the DS 3724 but i’ve never seen one for sale. Next step is a 40 with a tag, and if I’m doing that I think I’d want the Spartan version (active to 45mph) - it never ends. I was going to buy a 2020 3541 (same floor plan concept)but the NA seems like an over complicated, somewhat problematic design. And I want to stay in that size range. I think in 5-7 years I’ll be done with the small, out of the way campgrounds and then a 40 would be fine.

The thing is, other than the 6.7, which surprisingly is working out quite well, my rig lacks for nothing. It has the right floors, cabinets, counters, heat and air options, etc. Active air would be a luxury, like a retarder, and I like that kind of stuff, but I know if (when) I sell this I won’t get my money back out of the upgrades.

So the question is how much of an improvement does it provide on a 35’ rig? and then I have to decide if it’s worth it for the 5-7 years I’ll own the coach.

But I’m calling them today to narrow down some details. Cost isn’t really the issue - more how much good it can do for a smaller coach.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2020, 07:19 AM   #100

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.Wold View Post
Ok I’m hoping a lot of HWH experienced folks are still monitoring this thread. I have a 35’ (34’ 10”) Ventana and not sure if it’s worth an upgrade of this nature for a few reasons.

I’ll keep those to myself for now and would like your gut reaction to the idea. For a little background, the coach only has 20k miles on it, is immaculate, and fairly high option, and other than the 6.7, which I’m learning to live with, it really seems like a keeper. I’ve put 4k miles on it since I picked it up in June.

For an upgrade with this price tag, it will have to be a long term coach. I’m also likely adding a retarder ($7000-$8000), and my solar/lithium upgrade will top $10k when I don’t with it ($6k already in it). But I only paid $150k for the coach (cash so no debt), and aside from all the other seductively higher luxury level coaches out there tugging at me, I’m satisfied.

So the big question is, is the AA system suitable for a small DP. It does lean in the corners to the point that I’m holding up traffic all the time, and it’s rock-roll mania on every parking lot entry and exit.

Soooooo, whaddya think? The DW would be happy because she doesn’t want a bigger coach anyway and if I plop another $20 in this one, I’m keeping it, for a while anyway.

Also I need to visit Nappanee so I’d try to coordinate the two.
Hi, I posted at #9 on this thread last year. We had AA installed spring 2017 on our short 35' DP, and it made a substantial difference. I didn't originally mention this, but I was having problems with my 625 hydraulic leveling system, and contacted HWH directly to try and get it fixed. After back and forth negotiations, they talked me into AA, AND they rebuilt all 4 of my jacks at parts cost only :-)

Another benefit, is if you hang around you can learn a lot about your coach, as they were (at least in 2017) ok with you in the shop and asking questions. I also took the liberty of investigating and photo-documenting the entire underside of my coach while it was up in the air for a week.

Not saying jack rebuilds or the learning experience were deal breakers as it is an expensive upgrade, but now after 4 years of driving with AA, we are vey happy we had it installed. It does make a measurable improvement to cornering and porpoising, in addition to reducing crosswind effects. Air leveling also makes it very easy to auto level in rest stops / parking lots without putting the jacks down (takes less time to get going as well). It will not fix the all the limitations of a short DP chassis, but it really does improve the handling.

Anyway, I hope this helps a little bit, good luck with all your upgrades!
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:46 AM   #101

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackerPower View Post
Hi, I posted at #9 on this thread last year. We had AA installed spring 2017 on our short 35' DP, and it made a substantial difference. I didn't originally mention this, but I was having problems with my 625 hydraulic leveling system, and contacted HWH directly to try and get it fixed. After back and forth negotiations, they talked me into AA, AND they rebuilt all 4 of my jacks at parts cost only :-)

Another benefit, is if you hang around you can learn a lot about your coach, as they were (at least in 2017) ok with you in the shop and asking questions. I also took the liberty of investigating and photo-documenting the entire underside of my coach while it was up in the air for a week.

Not saying jack rebuilds or the learning experience were deal breakers as it is an expensive upgrade, but now after 4 years of driving with AA, we are vey happy we had it installed. It does make a measurable improvement to cornering and porpoising, in addition to reducing crosswind effects. Air leveling also makes it very easy to auto level in rest stops / parking lots without putting the jacks down (takes less time to get going as well). It will not fix the all the limitations of a short DP chassis, but it really does improve the handling.

Anyway, I hope this helps a little bit, good luck with all your upgrades!
Yeah it does - thanks. Your post is one of the ones that really for me thinking about it again.
Old 11-05-2020, 10:06 AM   #102

Country Coach Owners Club
Thanks all for the advise on getting cell numbers from the installers. Great advise, they are the only true experts on this system. Haven’t discussed warranty yet on the install and parts. Service outside of this area could be a problem as well, not a lot of technical info released on this system, and all service expertise will have to come out of HWH in Moscow.

After the road test I will try to give a good update on my first impressions of the improvements

Pops
Popsf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 02:37 PM   #103

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popsf15 View Post
Thanks all for the advise on getting cell numbers from the installers. Great advise, they are the only true experts on this system. Haven’t discussed warranty yet on the install and parts. Service outside of this area could be a problem as well, not a lot of technical info released on this system, and all service expertise will have to come out of HWH in Moscow.

After the road test I will try to give a good update on my first impressions of the improvements

Pops
Please do - looking forward to it
Old 11-06-2020, 03:47 AM   #104

I had Active Air installed on our 37' DS in June of 2019. Since then we have put over 13000 miles on the coach. I did have to go back once (2 months after install) because the steering sensor had come loose from it's mounting point, but it was on our way back home, so no biggy. The coach is so easy to drive, it's almost boring. The system took away the ever increasing lean when circumnavigating cloverleafs, and is rock stable on the road. The air leveling alone is one of the best features. The only thing I don't like is it is constantly trying to achieve correct ride height when first fired up. It will fart and fume releasing air from bags for 5 minutes until it seems happy. Does the same thing while slowly moving through campgrounds. Not really an issue when all the benefits are weighed in.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:05 PM   #105

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Well here I am - finally made it and lucked out on the weather. Snow everywhere, but sunny days and clear roads. I just went through 104 posts to refresh my memory on questions, concerns, and key points. I’ll post more here as the project progresses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D9F1093B-04C7-4434-98DF-7ECEE2F2344D.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	347.1 KB
ID:	319784   Click image for larger version

Name:	B899426F-E038-4937-AC2A-77A7A4564CB0.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	319785  

Old 03-01-2021, 07:37 PM   #106

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Well here I am - finally made it and lucked out on the weather. Snow everywhere, but sunny days and clear roads. I just went through 104 posts to refresh my memory on questions, concerns, and key points. I’ll post more here as the project progresses.
I’m three weeks behind you. Can’t wait to finally get active air. I was suppose to have it installed last March but COVID stopped that. Then I rescheduled for September and I had the dreaded DEF head failure getting ready to head to Moscow. Here’s hoping the third time is a charm. Good luck with your install- looking forward to your updates.
Boilervol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:49 PM   #107

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilervol View Post
I’m three weeks behind you. Can’t wait to finally get active air. I was suppose to have it installed last March but COVID stopped that. Then I rescheduled for September and I had the dreaded DEF head failure getting ready to head to Moscow. Here’s hoping the third time is a charm. Good luck with your install- looking forward to your updates.
Not to veer too far off topic, but my most recent emission failure was the DEF pump, and I’ve come to the conclusion that you should change the DEF filter annually, not 200k/3 years. I’m also on my third DEF header. PM if you want more info - I just did 2000 miles of emissions trouble-free driving!
Old 03-02-2021, 03:37 AM   #108

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Not to veer too far off topic, but my most recent emission failure was the DEF pump, and I’ve come to the conclusion that you should change the DEF filter annually, not 200k/3 years. I’m also on my third DEF header. PM if you want more info - I just did 2000 miles of emissions trouble-free driving!
I’m happy to hear that for you.
USMCRET is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:18 AM   #109

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilervol View Post
Well things have changed a bit, post Covid, so don’t expect the same treatment as reported in earlier posts. There are no lunches with staff/owner (although I did meet Paul briefly), no interaction to speak of, and the crew is short staffed so the work doesn’t exactly go “smoothly”. The quality seems to be there, but the process is a bit of a concern.

I understand all that and I’m sill fairly confident that the end result will meet expectations, but I’d say the customer is more tolerated around here than embraced. Better to spend your week (first three days anyway) somewhere else. I don’t want to say any more here - pm for details if interested.
Old 03-03-2021, 08:06 PM   #110

My new to me coach has the HWH system standard. After reading this thread, I now understand how a 45' coach can drive so well.
GWBGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:24 PM   #111

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWBGE View Post
My new to me coach has the HWH system standard. After reading this thread, I now understand how a 45' coach can drive so well.
You can have HWH leveling system and not have Active Air.

Does your control panel look like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190704_103346.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	319999  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 10:20 PM   #112

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club