Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2019, 07:21 AM   #1

Educate me: Active air?

If there is another thread you can point me to please do. I know this has probably been discussed (I cant find info) but I see it mentioned many times where someone takes a new coach and has HWH (I think) active air levelers installed which helps with leveling while driving and when parked.

From what I have been reading this is a 10k upgrade.

Why do I need it, why do I want it, please educate me. Thanks.
Burnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2019, 07:41 AM   #2

Active Air (HWH) and Hadley are air bag control units for diesel motor homes that control the filling and deflating of those bags. These system assist in controling the movement of the coach when driving and give the coach a more level and control when turning. It also lets you raise and lower the coach plus gives you the option to have air leveling in place of jacks. We have the Hadley system on our 18 LA and it sure is nice, but 10K for add on I don't know.
Newmar Man
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:48 AM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'll know more after it's installed next month until then you can look at the HWH site and watch the video's. My rig already has automatic air leveling and no jacks. Cost will be $10,500 out the door.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 07:50 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
I don't know what this coach would be like without Active Air as it was equipped with it when I bought the coach. I can say that at 10K it is a pretty spendy upgrade. Not sure I would pay for that. However, with that said this coach is an absolute dream to drive. It is so smooth and easy to drive I think a monkey could keep it in the lane. It is not tossed around in the wind or by trucks nothing. Very comfortable. It is easier to drive than my Jeep. It feels very safe as well on the road.

Very nice to be able to level it overnight without the jacks too. It truly is nice to have. No complaints at all.

Not much help with your question so I hope you get better answers.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:18 AM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt View Post
If there is another thread you can point me to please do. I know this has probably been discussed (I cant find info) but I see it mentioned many times where someone takes a new coach and has HWH (I think) active air levelers installed which helps with leveling while driving and when parked.

From what I have been reading this is a 10k upgrade.

Why do I need it, why do I want it, please educate me. Thanks.
Had it on our Cornerstone and really liked it. Not on DSDP so just take curves at posted limits. Not worth $10,000+ to me. If you have spare $, go for it. Takes about a week in Moscow, IA + the $$.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F392298, NRA Benefactor, Newmar KK Lone Stars South
Dutch Star David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:29 AM   #6

Here is one

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/hwh-...ir-410538.html

Good information in this post.
sheridany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:00 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Headed to HWH in October to have it installed. Looking forward to it (except for the week in Moscow).

https://www.hwhcorp.com/web1005_aair_videos_ppt.html
Freightliner, HWH Active Air
jerry davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridany View Post

Thanks, good info
Burnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:27 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We’ve had it on our 2011 35’ Journey for two years now. Yes it is expensive, but the coach drives a lot better, including improved handling during emergency maneuvers. We also really love the active air leveling during boondocking or rest areas, less wear and tear on the jacks. If you have a shorter DP you intend to stay with for 5-10 years and enjoy touring, it is worth it in my opinion. Of course, if you are more destination oriented and don’t put on a lot of miles, maybe not.

The engineers at HWH are great guys, really know what they’re doing, and don’t mind you hanging around to watch :-)
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #10
GKU

We have Valid on our Mountain Aire, Itis great.I wouldn’t own another Coach without it. I believe the upgrade is well worth the money. I’m still trying to figure out all the nuniances of the air leveling, but that’s the fun part.
GKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:57 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKU View Post
We have Valid on our Mountain Aire, Itis great.I wouldn’t own another Coach without it. I believe the upgrade is well worth the money. I’m still trying to figure out all the nuniances of the air leveling, but that’s the fun part.
Valid is the best alternative to HWH active air. If I buy a highline newmar, it will have valid.

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 04:14 AM   #12

I've been contemplating installing Active Air for the past 3 years. Finally got to work in an appointment in Moscow for June that lined up with our Spring/Summer trip. Everyone that I have talked to that has it says they would never have another coach without it.
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:47 PM   #13

We are currently 4/1/2019 "in the Penthouse" ( upon the 10 foot lifts inside a factory building) having Active Air installed on our new 2019 Dutchstar 4018. So far so good. Will post photos and reactions as they evolve. It's cold outside (49, hey I'm from Arizona)
bbrewer841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:56 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrewer841 View Post
We are currently 4/1/2019 "in the Penthouse" ( upon the 10 foot lifts inside a factory building) having Active Air installed on our new 2019 Dutchstar 4018. So far so good. Will post photos and reactions as they evolve. It's cold outside (49, hey I'm from Arizona)
Be sure to get a tour of Paul's hydraulic RV. The slide down wall behind drivers seat is a great idea.

Even the windshield wipers are hydraulic!

NHSO (Newmar Hoot, Sevierville Original), Kindness Matters
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, cat