Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-19-2020, 09:43 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
EezTire TPMS booster wiring

Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for where to wire-in an EezTire TPMS booster in a 2019 Newmar Dutch Star (Spartan chassis). I've installed the EezTire TPMS system, but while driving I regularly get "drop-outs" from the farthest away wheels. Is there a recommended/convenient spot in the rear of the motorhome for wiring in the booster? Should I worry about wiring in to an "always on" spot, vs. somehere that is "ignition-switched" such that it would only power the booster when the ignition is on?

Tom
sartor is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2020, 10:14 PM   #2

Spartan Chassis
I used the light in the rear closet of our 4018, good aft location, works great, no drops.
TheRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 03:50 AM   #3

I wired ours into the 12v panel in the half bath. super easy and i can disconnect it when we are not on the road.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:22 AM   #4
ptw

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also wired it into the half bath closet. I had a spare fuse on the panel. When we are parked for an extended time I just pull the fuse. It works well.
Old 11-20-2020, 04:38 AM   #5

X2. 5 minute install, pull fuse when parked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptw View Post
I also wired it into the half bath closet. I had a spare fuse on the panel. When we are parked for an extended time I just pull the fuse. It works well.
Hugh Jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 04:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdnash View Post
I wired ours into the 12v panel in the half bath. super easy and i can disconnect it when we are not on the road.
This is what I did also. But my inside rear tire on that side does not connect most of the time.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:08 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also put mine in the half bath adjacent to the 12v fuse panel (recommended by C. Martin). Added simple on/off switch. Works well, even picking up the sensors on the toad.
Dave.FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:43 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi Tom,
I have a different brand of TPMS, but the same coach as you. I mounted my signal booster in the chassis battery compartment away from any possible road splash, and wired to the chassis battery. I have no signal loss on the drive or tag axle tires and on my towed vehicle. When the coach is parked, I pull the fuse.
Car1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:55 AM   #9

Following and was going to start a thread so thanks....It was easy for me installed in back bedroom in coach but I also if I understand right lose signal from toad tires from time to time and most often when getting started..
Thought about disconnecting the repeater and seeing what would happen as I have not tried using without it...Maybe I am not doing something correct.
Old 11-20-2020, 07:09 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Mount it high and on the back wall, avoid mounting in areas where metal will block the signal. Mount the booster with the antennas in a horizontal rather than vertical orientation per EEZTire support.

I've had chronic problems with the toad sensors dropping out on right side, there seems to be no solution, it's a real PITA.

I wired mine into a switched ignition source, with the supplied fuse at the connection point. Remember, the fuse protects the wiring, not the device!
Bsipe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:04 AM   #11

I have a 2019 DS and hard wired directly to a chassis battery. When your TPMS unit is turned when your parked and not using, the draw from the booster unit is next to nill.
Granite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:39 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Pdmeehan
I installed booster in rear wardrobe closet. Obtained 12V from closet light and added a rocker switch to turn the booster off when not using.
Good luck!
Old 11-20-2020, 04:40 PM   #13

Wired to chassis battery in last compartment on passenger side. Never an issue and no dropouts.
PaulTNaples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:57 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I had trouble with the 2 sensors on the right side of the toad not being picked up. Since installing the booster, we have good signal all the time, now.

I installed it high on the wall in the back closet of ours and wired it into the closet light. Since the 12 volts circuits are all cutoff by a switch by the front door, I don't worry about it "being on all the time". Rarely are we ever "not towing" the toad.

Tags
tpms, wiring