RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2013, 12:27 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Electric Basement Locks Not Locking

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone out there has any experience working with the electric locking mechanism on the basement doors. I've replaced several failed solenoids on mine over the 8 years I've had this coach. And I have a couple now that are sporadically failing to lock. I just replaced the solenoid on one of the doors today... twice... and neither of the brand new solenoids will successfully get the door to lock when the electric locking is engaged.

The mechanism seems pretty simple... and I'm thinking of hitting the pertinent moving parts with a lubricant (like bike chain lube that won't attract dust/dirt), but wanted to see if anyone had any other input before I started "poking" around any further.

Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2013, 01:14 PM   #2

American Coach Owners Club
John, I see you have the same coach as I do, so here is a stupid question. How do you activate the basement door locks? My push button pad on the outside of the coach doesn't work. Is there a switch or something someplace that I am not seeing?

Old 03-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrchips View Post
John, I see you have the same coach as I do, so here is a stupid question. How do you activate the basement door locks? My push button pad on the outside of the coach doesn't work. Is there a switch or something someplace that I am not seeing?
Not sure in your MADP, but on our exdp it is on side pannel by passenger seat arm rest and if you have the key fob, the trunk button on ours activates the bay locks.
chuckinthebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #4

I have a switch on the dash that locks the door, but I never checked to see if it did the bay doors also. Will have to check that.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:53 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did a search "door locks" in this forum and not much info as far as lube of them, more info on operations.
I have use PB Blaster for cleaning and protection of aluminum locks at the bottom of my doors which will collect allot of salt from wet roads but your locks I think are mid way up doors, I think, not sure you need that.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
MrChips,

Chuck's reference is correct for our coach, too. Our Lock/Unlock switch is on the control panel mounted to the wall next to the passenger seat armrest. For us, they put it between all of the usual switches (Patio Light, Front fluorescent light, map light, visor, sun screen, etc) and the cup holder. But I've seen them mount it to the front, vertical surface of that control panel... so it's easier to reach when you open the front door.

Hope that helps you find yours!
Old 03-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #7

I am thinking I don't have auto basement locks on my coach. No switch anywhere and in looking at the locks all i can see is the cable from the handle. The door lock has a switch on the dash, and I have a touch pad by the door (but that don't work).
Old 03-02-2013, 05:16 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I am thinking I don't have auto basement locks on my coach. No switch anywhere and in looking at the locks all i can see is the cable from the handle. The door lock has a switch on the dash, and I have a touch pad by the door (but that don't work).
Hmmmm... it is possible that you don't. If I recall correctly, there was an available option for keyless entry... which gave you the keypad outside the door so you could unlock the entry door handle without a key (the keypads had some problems with failure, which may explain why yours doesn't do anything)... but that did NOT include basement locks.

The basement locks "option" was one of the "un-documented" ones that wasn't on the printed options list... but that they'd give you if you asked (i.e. custom ordered). In our case, we have the basement locking, but don't have keyless entry... because we custom-ordered our coach and specifically asked about the basement locks and didn't want the keyless entry option.

On the one hand, it makes it hard to be sure what one coach does or doesn't have -vs- another... but on the other hand, it makes each Newmar coach like a snowflake. Unique!

So... now it's just a matter of determining why your keyless entry option isn't working! Which, unfortunately, I can't help with... seeing as how we don't have it, LOL!

In the meantime, I'm still hoping someone out there actually has some experience working on the basement locking system....
Old 03-02-2013, 06:15 PM   #9

My keless entry don't work becasue all of the buttons look corroded like they have not been used in years. I am going to talk to Newmar or Essex or someone and see about getting a new pushpad.