Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2015, 06:55 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Electric step issue-any ideas

2014 DS On our way to IRV2 rally. Steps will not stay extended. Everytime we open door steps come out but when we close door steps retract. Seem the switch will not go to off position. Any ideas on what problem is or how it can be fixed. Guess I am lucky it is not stuck in the extend position !!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2015, 07:29 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar 14 View Post
2014 DS On our way to IRV2 rally. Steps will not stay extended. Everytime we open door steps come out but when we close door steps retract. Seem the switch will not go to off position. Any ideas on what problem is or how it can be fixed. Guess I am lucky it is not stuck in the extend position !!
Pull the switch out and make sure the wires are connected. If the switch is faulty you can go to Radio Shack and get one or just call Newmar and they will send one to you in a day or so.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 08:31 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Newmar 14,
While you have the switch pulled, remove the wire that tells the steps to retract when the door is closed. This will narrow the problem to the switch or something else.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:50 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
electric steps problem

ok so I pulled out switch , pulled eaach wire set off one at a time and steps still came out and went back in each time door was opened and closed, THEN i pulled both sets of wires off and door still open and closed when I open and shut doors. Now gthis was the switch that is above steps in cab. Now what?
Old 09-25-2015, 03:55 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just double checked the Kwikee web site.
Step manual

There are two switches involved. the "Door switch" and the "Over-ride Switch".
I assume that you are talking about the Over-ride switch.

The schematics show that it should be a white wire that goes into the step controller. The over-ride switch is connected between the battery and the controller.
The manual does not say if +12V inhibits the steps or enables them.
Try connecting those two switch wires together.
AND one of them should always have 12V....so the fuse on that line could be blown.

There are a total of three wires/fuses that bring 12V into the controller.
12V always hot, ign. controlled 12V, and the over-ride switch.

Regards,

Dan
Old 09-27-2015, 10:42 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Step started working on its own ?? Now the question is why !!! We are at site j3 if you gave any ideas?
Old 09-27-2015, 10:56 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Newmar 14,
When stuff like this happens the cause is, most likely, what you have been messing with. Gut feel says the connections to the switch or the switch itself needs to be replaced. Then again, it may now work forever.

Things like this is why I became an ME not an EE.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:06 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmar 14 View Post
Step started working on its own ?? Now the question is why !!! We are at site j3 if you gave any ideas?
Hopefully there is someone with electrical knowledge and a DMM at the rally, we'd have been there if we still lived in NC.

It's possible intermittent connections are to blame. The manual says there's a 4 pin connector on the step, I'd start there, removing it and trying to clean the contacts with contact cleaner. A lot of times the ground connections corrode, my steps work much better now that I cleaned the grounds that looked good until I removed them.

The manual also has pretty good troubleshooting instructions for three different step models, hopefully yours is one of them.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After a little more reading, I determined that the over-ride switch sends 12V to the controller to hold the steps extended.

So your symptom intidates that either the over-ride switch is bad, or the fuse which provides 12V to the switch is blown.

Somehow the controller is not seeing the 12v that should come from the switch.

Since it is now working, it is probably not the fuse. But I am sure it is a intermittent connection and probably related to wires that you have moved during the process.

Regards,

Dan
Old 09-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I am at the IRv2 rally in Nashville and I appreciate all the responses to my request for help. The step seems to be working fine now. I did check the grounds and they seem clean
The switch or connector may have been problem. By taking apart may haveadequate better connection. I will see what happens. Thanks again
Newmar 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:47 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is it possible that the ignition key is not in the fully off position. Left in ACC ,or partially on, the switch thinks you are getting underway and pulls in the steps independent of the door switch. Good Luck
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 11:18 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Three ideas in power flow order

1: A 5 amp fuse in your Battery Control Center
2: Bad switch
3: Wire disconnected likely at the switch but other locations possible.

Bad controller is also on the list but.. i think not.