Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2021, 09:51 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Electric Trailer Brake Controller on New Aire ‘21 3545?

I’m embarrassed to ask this. On a trip in the mountains and electric trailer brakes (aluminum ramp trailer w/ vehicle on it) do not seem to be working. I assumed there’s be a controller in the RV. Apparently not. If there is, I don’t see any controls.

Trip is 400 miles total. One mountain range (Monteagle, TN) and otherwise basically flat. Assuming there is NO controller, I’m assuming I’ll be okay by taking it really easy, using engine braking, etc. RV is lightly loaded and trailer/vehicle total weight is 6,000 lbs.

Please be kind. I fly airplanes and helicopters and taught motorcycling, but RVing still has a learning curve for me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2021, 10:18 AM   #2

Others may disagree but with your two stage brake set on high you should be fine. Monteagle isn’t too bad going toward Chattanooga since you have three lanes on the downhill so some zealous truckers can use the middle lane to get around you. In Chattanooga you can stop at Camping World and pick up a Prodigy, you probably have a pigtail under the dash but others can chime in. You’ll be illegal without a brake controller but just go nice and easy, stopped traffic can be surprise at several spots between Monteagle and Chattanooga.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:37 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dave,
A trailer brake controller is not that difficult to wire up yourself.
Tekonsha is the one I have and it works quite well, as it is proportional based on the brake pedal pressure.
Mine is mounted under the dash, left of the steering column.
You do need a 7 pin plug for the trailer.

Mike in Colorado
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:46 AM   #4
D20

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Electric trailer brake controllers do not come as standard equipment, that I know of.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:16 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks to each of you for the help. I’ve stopped at Camping World in ‘Nooga and I’ll see if they have one. Really appreciate it.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:53 AM   #6
Rd1

A 6000 llbs trailer for your Newair is ok. However, it will impact your braking distance, specially in a downhill.

In all newer Newmars (at least 14 and later), newmar has complete wiring harness for the trailer already wired. Under the steering column, there is a harness (see attached). It is likeyl labeled as' aeA'. The wires are also labeled accordingly. All you need is a typical trailer brake controller from any trailer shop. your harness already has a male/female connector. Disconnect the open wire end connector. Then you can wire that to your trailer controller. Then simply connect the connectors back. You don't even have to mount the controller. I have mine on the floor. **IF NEED BE** I can even apply the 'manual' trailer brakes by my left foot.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer_Harness (1).jpg
Views:	119
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	338446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer_Harness (2).jpg
Views:	51
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	338447  

Old 08-05-2021, 12:15 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Update. I'm at the Camping World in 'Nooga, as suggested above, and they are setting me up.

Thank you again!
Old 08-05-2021, 12:19 PM   #8

I bought a REDARC tow pro elite from E-Trailer. The control is completely hidden and the control knob mounts neatly in the dash. Super clean looking on my Dutch Star
FunnwithGunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:26 PM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Something overlooked.

There is something in all the replies that was not even mentioned. That is that it is illegal in most states, if not all, to tow that much weight without functioning trailer brakes. Now it's highly unlikely that anyone would know but still illegal. As a side note, the brake controller is an option, a Curt Spectrum Integrated Brake Control, and only on the Spartan chassis.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 01:55 PM   #10

Newmar does not put in a brake controller but is wired for one. I use Curt Wireless Controller for my trailer since I sometimes tow it with the Jeep and it did not come with a controller either. https://www.curtmfg.com/dm/echo-mobile-brake-controller
Old 08-07-2021, 02:01 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
Others may disagree but with your two stage brake set on high you should be fine. Monteagle isn’t too bad going toward Chattanooga since you have three lanes on the downhill so some zealous truckers can use the middle lane to get around you. In Chattanooga you can stop at Camping World and pick up a Prodigy, you probably have a pigtail under the dash but others can chime in. You’ll be illegal without a brake controller but just go nice and easy, stopped traffic can be surprise at several spots between Monteagle and Chattanooga.
If it’s in a FL chassis it just has a single stage VGT brake. Probably pretty good on an ISL, but not as good as a jake. I doubt it would be very helpful with an extra 6K lbs behind you. Not sure what the Spartan chassis has for an engine brake.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, brake, electric, trailer