Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2015, 04:57 PM   #1

Electrical

2001 newmar mountian aire with a spartan chassis,when i turn the headlights on the turn signals blink very fast.Also when i turn them off, the speedometer switches from showing mileage to trip #1.Every time the headlight switch is turned on then off the odometer will change from mileage-trip 1-trip 2-mileage and so on.After discovering this the turn signals and emergency flashers have quit working. I have checked fuses and did not find any blown.
jlmaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2015, 05:32 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ground- check your ground.
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 05:35 PM   #3

IMO, sounds like a poor ground in the headlamp switch. When you turn it on the poor ground causes it to backfeed the rest of the dash. Mine acted weird when we bought it because it had been parked for 7 years. I added a few drops of switch cleaner to the pull-rod every day for a week and it finally improved.
OTOH, that may have had nothing to do with it, and simply frequent use cleaned the contacts.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 06:04 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I agree sounds like a bad chassis ground. Jim
Old 04-19-2015, 07:19 PM   #5

electrical

thanks for all the info.I changed the flasher and the turn signals work as they should, even with the lights on,(witch was a problem before).I still have a problem with the odometer changing from mileage to trip when the lights are turned on then off.Checked all the grounds I could find,no rust or corrosion.Even took a test light to the ground wires a couple inches from the grounding screw,every thing worked fine.I will continue my search for more ground wires.
Old 04-19-2015, 07:59 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
There are several electrical issues that can drive one crazy. A poor or bad ground is one. Another one is a cross feed. Current from a wire is shorted across to another wire feeding it current when it isn't asking for it. These are difficult to find because they are not common.

I don't believe it's a power issue (fuses) because things do work but not as designed. Fuses when overloaded just blow and are then an open. Seldom do circuits have shorts for very long. Most everybody says that they, "Have a short" but in reality they HAD a short which then became an open.

Some things to try/do while troubleshooting these weird issues. Wiggle wires and connections. Turn your LS off wiggle some wires and turn it on. See if anything is different. Do the same with wiring harnesses and other connectors. Disconnect then reconnect switches. Your unit is going on 14 years old and moisture can and will set up corrosion issues which then become intermittent opens and cross shorts.

Many, Many moons (1972) ago we had a 1968 or so Buick Opel. We bought it used. When you turned the wipers off they would stop mid window or when ever you turned the switch off. It was a used car (and foreign) so that's how we thought they were supposed to work. Next thing was after you released the key from cranking the engine the starter kept on running. That kept getting worse. I decided to try and find out what was wrong before the starter gears were ruined.

This was my first year as an auto shop teacher so I had a lot to learn. Here's what happened. The previous owner had installed a radio antenna by drilling a hole in the fender. The gasket didn't seal all the water out and some was running down inside and behind the fuse box. I took the box off the fender well and there was all kids of corrosion behind and around all the fuse holders. In about 3 hours I basically rebuilt the fuse box. Put everything back and everything started working correctly. No starter run-on and in fact the wipers instead of stopping mid window they parked at the bottom as do all cars.

I guess there was all kinds of weird paths for current flow in, around and through all that green corrosion.

TeJay
Old 04-19-2015, 09:18 PM   #7

electrical

I will start taking plugs apart next.should I use electrical grease on them? Or just unplug and replug?
Old 04-20-2015, 07:48 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Using a dielectric grease is always a good idea. It's a water barrier, repellant, promotes a good electrical path for current and it will lubricate the connections to make it easier.

Twenty years ago when I first saw the dielectric lube it was expensive. I need to get a new tube for the shop/garage so I guess I'll find out if it's come down in price.

TeJay
Old 04-21-2015, 09:53 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Electrical issues can be very frustrating and difficult to correctly diagnose. I had an intermittent electrical problem a while ago. I sent a detailed email to the techs at Newmar and a couple of days later I received their ideas on three possible causes, all centered around a specific circuit board.

One suggestion was a bad connection. I tested for that and it did not resolve or confirm the problem. The other two potential issues both required a new circuit board. I ordered and installed the new board and all is good now.

I suggest you take the same approach - send a detailed description of the symptoms (not your analysis of the problem) and see what the experts have to say.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:30 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ron H's idea is a good one that we often don't think about. Guys who work on this stuff all the time have experienced the fixes over and over so they do have the experience to guide novices like us down different paths with usually better results.
Good idea!!!

TeJay

Tags
electrical