Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2020, 02:30 PM   #1

Electrical issue

05 Mountain Aire. The coach has 50 amp service. Depending where I park the coach at home, I need to run a extension cord plugged into my pedestal to keep the batteries charged. When I use a extension cord I use a 50 amp to 15 amp adapter and it has worked well in the past. However now when I plug in, the breaker in the pedestal trips. If I use just the adapter in my shore cord its fine. But using a extension cord it trips. Different heavy duty extension cords same result. I turned off all breakers in the coach, plugged in extension cord, and then one by one flipped breakers on. With all breakers on except convertor breaker, pedestal breaker stays on. When flipping convertor breaker on, the pedestal breaker trips. Now you would think the convertor is the culprit. However just turning the convertor breaker off, the pedestal breaker still trips. In fact I have to shut all breakers off in the coach in order to plug in the extension cord with out tripping the breaker.
Any thoughts?
Thank You Milan
Milan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2020, 02:58 PM   #2

I suspect your batteries are "deader" than normal. That causes your inverter/charger (or converter) to work harder to recharge your batteries. That causes it to draw more current from your shore power. The extra cord length may cause just enough voltage drop to pop the breaker.

Most inverter/chargers can be set to limit the amount of current load they place on the shore power. Alternately, I suspect you have a power management system somewhere. Use the setting button to tell the PMS you are on a 15 amp cord. That will cause it to alter its PMS profile and reduce current loads. If you leave it on the default 30 amp setting then the PMS thinks you have 30 amps shore power available.

Then again, your inverter/charger or converter (if that's what you have but I doubt it) could just be toast. I gotta believe a high end coach like a MA would have an inverter/charger and not a converter but I could be wrong.
Old 07-08-2020, 03:00 PM   #3

It sounds like when your batteries were newer the converter wasn't working as hard to keep a charge so it was ok with the ext. cords. Now that they are older the surge of the amp draw to start charging and amp drop from the length the extension cords is too much and tripping the breaker. An amp clamp on the circuit would show it. That is my best guess with the info i had. Sure hope you figure it out!
Old 07-08-2020, 03:52 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I suspect your batteries are "deader" than normal. That causes your inverter/charger (or converter) to work harder to recharge your batteries. That causes it to draw more current from your shore power. The extra cord length may cause just enough voltage drop to pop the breaker.

Most inverter/chargers can be set to limit the amount of current load they place on the shore power. Alternately, I suspect you have a power management system somewhere. Use the setting button to tell the PMS you are on a 15 amp cord. That will cause it to alter its PMS profile and reduce current loads. If you leave it on the default 30 amp setting then the PMS thinks you have 30 amps shore power available.

Then again, your inverter/charger or converter (if that's what you have but I doubt it) could just be toast. I gotta believe a high end coach like a MA would have an inverter/charger and not a converter but I could be wrong.
The coach only has a convertor. No invertor. The batteries are brand new and show a full charge. I don't think I have a power management system, if I do I have no idea where it could be. Is there a way to test the convertor?
Old 07-08-2020, 04:21 PM   #5

Is it a breaker or GFCI that's tripping ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Is it a breaker or GFCI that's tripping ?
GFCI
Old 07-08-2020, 05:02 PM   #7

That's a whole different issue.

A GFCI trip is a fault of leaking electricity to the ground conductor, not an overload of electricity.

To start, it could be fridge, Ice maker, water heater, or something plugged in.

The first 3 items involve heater coils and water.
Old 07-08-2020, 05:10 PM   #8

Quote:
That's a whole different issue.

A GFCI trip is a fault of leaking electricity to the ground conductor, not an overload of electricity.

To start, it could be fridge, Ice maker, water heater, or something plugged in.

The first 3 items involve heater coils and water.
Ok so how do I narrow it down? I flipped the breakers on and only the convertor breaker trips the GFI
Old 07-08-2020, 05:47 PM   #9

Some converter breakers power other items, you can check that.

Otherwise, have you done anything with the 12 volt or 120 volt systems just before this issue appeared ?

If you start with the converter breaker first, does it trip ?
Old 07-08-2020, 06:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Some converter breakers power other items, you can check that.

Otherwise, have you done anything with the 12 volt or 120 volt systems just before this issue appeared ?

If you start with the converter breaker first, does it trip ?
I think I might have found the problem. When you asked if anything was done recently I just remembered I had a Invertor installed. Its wired to the batteries and there is a ground wire from the invertor hooked in the same place as the convertor ground wire. I disconnected the ground wire the invertor and same results. I then put it back and all of a sudden the breaker isn't tripping any more. Maybe the ground wire from the invertor wasn't connected right?
Old 07-08-2020, 06:25 PM   #11

Great that you found? the problem !!

Lets not question why, unless it comes back.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Great that you found? the problem !!

Lets not question why, unless it comes back.
Thank You for the help.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:12 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan15 View Post
Thank You for the help.
I see your problem is solved but don't rule out the GFCI. I had one that would trip when the humidity got around 80%. It drove me nuts until I replaced it.
Fefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:23 AM   #14
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Hopefully this won't cloud the issue but I noticed that you indicated that your mh is a 2005 Newmar Mountain.(Is it gas or diesel?) In another of your posts you indicated that it had a convertor(?) and at a recent date you installed an invertor(?). I would really be surprised if your 05 Mountain Aire did not come with an invertor/charger as that was a pretty good quality mh back then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan15 View Post
I think I might have found the problem. When you asked if anything was done recently I just remembered I had a Invertor installed. Its wired to the batteries and there is a ground wire from the invertor hooked in the same place as the convertor ground wire. I disconnected the ground wire the invertor and same results. I then put it back and all of a sudden the breaker isn't tripping any more. Maybe the ground wire from the invertor wasn't connected right?
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical