Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2006, 11:14 PM   #1

We have a '06 MADP 4304. We've had it just over a month. I've adjusted the drivers seat to every location I can get it and can't seem to get it to swivel to face the living area. It should swivel clockwise so that it faces the living area but the left arm will not clear the wall panel on the left side. Well, the DW made her attempt at it and I suggested that she attempt to swivel it counter clockwise to see if it would clear the panel. It wouldn't. When attempting to readjust the seat, the electrical controls would not function. Upon investigation, the electrical plug from the main line had pulled apart and had become damaged. Where it had pulled apart the bare hot wire had touched ground and blew a 30A fuse. It is easily repaired. What I found to be interesting was were the wire was fed beneath the seat. It was "bound" between the frame of the seat and the pedestal. It was apt to either separate or be cut in two at any time with where it was routed. My repairs will route the wire where it should be to eliminate the possibility of it becoming damaged and/or separating in the future. We still haven't gotten the seat to swivel to face the living area. Has anyone else out there in iRV2 land experienced a similar problem?

I know this was long but the devil is usually in the details.

'06 Jeep Liberty Limited
dlhaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-06-2006, 11:14 PM   #2

We have a '06 MADP 4304. We've had it just over a month. I've adjusted the drivers seat to every location I can get it and can't seem to get it to swivel to face the living area. It should swivel clockwise so that it faces the living area but the left arm will not clear the wall panel on the left side. Well, the DW made her attempt at it and I suggested that she attempt to swivel it counter clockwise to see if it would clear the panel. It wouldn't. When attempting to readjust the seat, the electrical controls would not function. Upon investigation, the electrical plug from the main line had pulled apart and had become damaged. Where it had pulled apart the bare hot wire had touched ground and blew a 30A fuse. It is easily repaired. What I found to be interesting was were the wire was fed beneath the seat. It was "bound" between the frame of the seat and the pedestal. It was apt to either separate or be cut in two at any time with where it was routed. My repairs will route the wire where it should be to eliminate the possibility of it becoming damaged and/or separating in the future. We still haven't gotten the seat to swivel to face the living area. Has anyone else out there in iRV2 land experienced a similar problem?

I know this was long but the devil is usually in the details.

'06 Jeep Liberty Limited
Old 05-07-2006, 05:24 AM   #3

Same here, in our '99 KSCA, I attempted

to rotate the driver's seat, in a direction

that I later found to be the WRONG way, and

pulled the connector apart...I got

lucky and did not short anything out.

On our Coach you have to tilt the

wheel up as far as it will go, slide out,

run the seat full back, raise the chair arms,

and it'll rotate around, but it IS

tight.

Allison transmisson
Steady Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 06:50 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did the same thing no big deal for Newmar owner has to go clock wise and move seat all way back tilt seat all way forward, tilt wheel down, turn, and keep moving seat foward tight like Eddie says. "007"
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:04 AM   #5

UPDATE ON DRIVER'S SEAT WIRING:

I worked on the wiring yesterday. I had to get the correct gauge of wire (12awg) in order to repair it. I pulled the wiring out until I got to were it entered through the floor near the seat. I had to cut a 2 to 3 inch square from the carpet beneath the seat in order to get the plastic conduit situated properly. I added approximately 12 inches of wire on both legs. I used solderless connectors with heat shrink jackets for the splices. I removed the damaged connector and installed separate plug-in connectors on each of the two wires. This repaired the system with enough slack to swivel the seat. I obtained a length of plastic split conduit to encapsulate the wiring. It works as it should now . Side Note: At the floor, there were two wires, in plastic conduit, that didn't go to anything. One was black, a ground for sure since I checked it with a VOM. The other was a green wire, that at first checked out as being grounded. However, when I swiveled the seat to inspect the clearences, the wire touched the frame and sparked . There was no voltage on the wire when I checked it and no fuses blown. It's still a mystery as to what these two wires go to . I just taped them back as I had found them. If anyone knows or has an idea what these wires would control, I would be curious what you might come up with. Everything else works fine without any problem.

This seat, I found, has to have it's back tilted all the way forward and the seat set all the way back before you can swivel it...dah !!! The steering wheel being tilted forward is a given.

I told the GM at Tennessee RV today what had happened and I heard him tell the service manager to check any of the new one MA's they get in for the same thing.

'06 Jeep Liberty Limited
Old 05-08-2006, 05:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks for your update and as to other wires maybe for heating your seat or vibrator You do have a lumbar pump operating?
Old 05-09-2006, 11:27 AM   #7

The heat and lumbar are working just fine . Everything to the seat is functioning as it is supposed to. As for the wires, it's a mystery for sure . I could connect a light or something to the lines and start pulling fuses to see what happens .

However, what I may do is create a short so that a fuse blows and then locate the fuse to see what it is . I don't like doing that. It would be safer to attach a test light or something to the wires and do the fuse pulling thing .

'06 Jeep Liberty Limited
Old 05-10-2006, 06:36 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Dana, you could call the repair center I'm sure someone could tell you what they are for.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:40 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
Dana, you could call the repair center I'm sure someone could tell you what they are for. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I may just do that. It would possibly be quicker than me trying to ferret the wire's source and what they were intended to operate.

I'll let you know what I find out.

'06 Jeep Liberty Limited